Started by embx61, May 02, 2017, 06:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

looks awesome ! very very great :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

embx61

Thanks Red :)

Still a lot has to be done but I was able to make a curve.

Hope @Paeng is going to like it :)

It is not perfect as where the two rocks are in the picture below the Vanilla grass slopes down a little bit as the hole is a bit there too.

At least it is not really a hole what is visible but just a little slope from the game tile edges to the outside curved bank.
Nothing I can do about that I even tried a triangle hole piece but the game just makes it a square hole. It is not really bad at all and can just leave as it is as no ground in the real world is perfectly flat either or it can be covered with some deco stuff.

The sides of the channels on the outside are a bit wavy too and with a curve I went into the Vanilla grass on the outside.

So the whole structure of 1 bank is just a plane 8x8 sections and curved at each side as a upside down U.
Then I played with the vertices up and down and side ways to create the wavy edges.

After that doing the UVW map and the texture map is a really weird shape because I moved the vertices so I have detach and stitch a lot.

The decal texture used as footprint I changed to ModelAlphaTexture and only the arrows are drawn on it and the rest is transparent so the game grass shows through at the edges and the outside of the curve.

That had to be done other wise the footprint was showing as a straight edge. I did first a little ragged edge as I gummed away in photoshop and that worked for the straight edges but at the outside of the curve the footprint was showing so decided to go the total transparent route.

footprint is only shown in the build stage anyway and are hidden if the channels are finished.

I could have just keep photoshopping a texture to make it work for the curve but to save draw calls I only use two footprint textures for all the pieces.

Just 2 512x512 with each 4 textures on it with all the arrows. :)

Well, that was a whole story and time to grab myself a cup of coffee and watch some Columbo and try to get some sleep.

Changed the texture to but still not sure about it.

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

wiscoke

I love the previous ground texture. it gives a nice contrast with your deco stuff and some other things, like some dirt roads .

your new texture seems like they dig the channel with their hands and throw the mud on the sides :) . I like the first one more, but its just a personal choice. others may like the 2nd more. maybe you can keep the 2 textures and make some other ones? like redketchup did with his different canal-textures.

but please keep the 1st one ;)

Paeng

Yeah, that's... curvylicious   :D
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

wiscoke

I have a request about some deco stuff...

what about different carts with horses ? I don't know if its possible to put a bannie on the cart? ;)

you already have flowers, plants and grass. what about some bushes?

maybe a sqarecrow. the one from CC isn't that big and you hardly see them.

embx61

@wiscoke

I look into some more deco items in between working on the channels.

Kid's Deco Pack have bushes and while I still plan to add some more flora in the future it is not high on my to do list for the moment as they are available in Kid's mod. and my to do list is well......... gigantic. :)

The textures are as always a hit or miss but I will look for some more variations and can keep the old one as well.

Thanks @Paeng, I am glad you like the curves.

The coffee is ready, so time to start up 3ds max and start creating some more channels pieces. :)

Abandoned

@embx61 glad to hear you will keep the old texture, I like that one better too.  Is there a way to make one transparent so whatever terrain it is on would show through?

embx61

That is not possible as it will show the hole and the square water texture as well as the square moving water texture.

The banks on each side are needed to cover the hole we have to make in the game world.

That is why you see in all mods what digs a hole a cover up on each side to cover up the hole.

A very good example to see what happens is load Red's Canals and use debug for fast placing without cost and place a canal piece.

Look at the edges where another canal piece could be placed.
You see a giant deep hole on each side. That hole is also in the other two sides but it is covered by the stone or wood texture.

The game is pretty picky about digging holes and I am very happy I was able to make a curve at least.

Diagonal will not be possible unless the banks have to be very wide to cover the holes and that set all the other pieces off.

EDIT: A hole is made in the game like this a box with the size of one game tile is placed on the depth you want the hole to be.

What happens though is that the tiles surrounding that hole slope from the depth of the hole to the Z 0 point in the game. (The grass ground texture)

So it looks like this if viewed from the front \_/  <=============== Each character is a game tile.

the \ and / I used are pretty steep and that is how the deep canals of redKetchup look like.

Mine are more a gentle slope as my hole is not that deep but still need to be covered.

Abandoned

I learn more and more how very complicated it is to make these wonderful mods.  Very impressive work you are all doing.  :)

embx61

It can be frustrating some times as Luke have hidden a lot from us, but I learn more and more with each new project and looking at examples from the other Modders.

Important to take some breaks so once in a while and I watch some TV, or a movie, or play some chess against the computer to clear the mind before going back with a next session of Modding. :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: embx61 on June 27, 2017, 10:22:15 AM
It can be frustrating some times as Luke have hidden a lot from us, but I learn more and more with each new project and looking at examples from the other Modders.

Important to take some breaks so once in a while and I watch some TV, or a movie, or play some chess against the computer to clear the mind before going back with a next session of Modding. :)

yeah agree. when we are stuck on something... we need to go away for a while (like my grapes lately) ... watching tvshows, playing other things... whatever is good to go away from the toolkit.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

embx61

The coffee is ready again and going for a couple more pieces before calling it the night :)

Have finished so far 1x straight (3 variations) 2x straight (5 Variations) 2 end pieces, 2 3ways, 2 corners, 2 curves, 1 4 way.

So to do the 1 4 way, bridges, culverts, and a gate, all the build stages and more variations.

As end pieces, corners, culverts, 3 and 4 ways are not placed that much, and not connected directly together that much either, I not going to make a lot of variants for those pieces.
Probably 2 of each. then about 3 to 4 for the 1x straight as they are most of the tim ejust fillers where a 2x straight not fits.

Most variations going to be in the 2x straight as long straight channels are not that repeating.
Probably about 7 variations.

Then I have to copy the whole scene with all the meshes into a new scene and use a different texture for the banks so as for a start there are two texture variants.

Have not much to do on the pumps, connectors, etc. so they are as good as finished beside a little tweaking but thinking about changing the wood boards texture as the gray look to much like brick and IMHO a bit too dull so all is good on that front. Phewwwww :)

@QueryEverything came with a nice suggestion and I going to take a look at that if it is feasible.

Keep it a little secret for now till I have worked it out :) 

kid1293

;D

Admit you are having a good time!

My thoughts go to you. Myself, I have train ride today and will
write some code when I get back. I alreadý miss it!  ;)

embx61

Yeah @kid1293  Things are not too bad. Ups and downs but modelling keep me busy and that is a good thing.

I am making good progress on the Natural Irrigation system and can show a quick peak what is upcoming in the next release.

All the pieces are done, so are the build stages.
I decided to leave pieces what are not placed that much like 3 ways, 4 ways, curves, corners, as I 1 piece variant to save on poly's
The 2x straight will have 6 variants, and the 1x straight have 3 variants. So by combining 2x and 1x on a long straight run the player have 9 variants so the repetition will not be too bad.

Tried a new texture as well but still not sure about the ground texture. The first one I keep as this is requested but need a 2nd one for a start.

@QueryEverything came with the idea to let small pipes or something similar from the Channels run into the crop and orchard fields for irrigation.
I liked the idea very much and adds to realism. It is not possible to go below ground on a crop field orchard so it has to be a bit above ground.
Pipes would have been possible but with gutters I can add the flowing water.

So I did a test and made some ghosted pieces to test in the game.

The result is in the below picture. The piece at the channel is the so called Archimedes Screw to lift the water from the channels into the gutters (better name?) and those can be run across crop field/orchards. The connection from screw to the 2x gutter piece is a bit off and I have to fix that.

I kept them pretty small as too not cover too much of the trees crops and have moving water as well.
It seems to work so I going to make more ghosted pieces of those like corners, 3 ways 4ways end pieces to connect to each other.

The coffee is brewing and so start 3ds max up to create some more gutter pieces.

Looks like @Paeng can have some fun as well if he feels like it in creating more Icons for all the gutter pieces and the Archimedes screw piece  ;)  :)

wiscoke

I love the new additions of those small pipes. can't wait to try it out!

edit : @embx61 a suggestion : in the EB decorations tab...isn't it better to assign the different kinds of grass to the 3rd icon. that is the greenest one and looks like grass. now its the first icon and that seems more like a plant to me.