News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

The North 6 - News and Discussion

Since my old thread found its way to Valhalla, this is a new place to discuss ideas and suggestions for this modding project. In this first post you find a conclusion of new buildings, resources and gameplay changes of the current version which is available since December 2017. If you like to figure out all the new content by playing, you can just download it on banishedventures.com/north. This version is not save compatible. So you have to delete or disable the old version and to start a new map.

Resource Categories and Building Materials

First of all, this version uses Banished 1.0.7 features which are new custom flags and the opportunity to define more than 3 building materials. Two actually small changes but unlocking very nice opportunities. Great thanks to the developer for this upgrade! The new resource flagging of the North mod allows to control all kinds of building materials by their own production limit and to follow their stocks in overview or townhall statistics. All building requirements are reworked following a tile based rule and glass is added to all constructions which obviously have window panes. Glass is made by a new glassworks from sand, mined from river beds. Other new requirements are utensils necessary for professions such as traps for the trappers cabin and barrows for markets and trading docks. These items have to be crafted.

New Workplaces

Blacksmiths, Foresters, Hunters, Gatherers and Herbalists got new workplaces in Nordic style and the new Oven House finally allows to bake bread. Log cabins can now be expanded by more versatile workplaces as it was in the old version. Here farmers can now grind grain, brew ale and mead, preserve fruits or make clothes in long winters when the fields are covered by snow. Also a bee yard is added to produce honey.

More Food Processing

Ale and Mead are now the main beverages of the North and classified as foodstuff. With this change it makes really sense to produce alcohol and it's also realistic because brewing was an old way of preservation and contains a lot of calories. Schnaps made from rye or potatoes is still no food and for trading or drinking only. Barkeepers can serve it in the tavern to let people come to a drinking bout. They also can provide dishes like roasted beef, lamb or venison together with ale. It has an effect on food supply and makes the tavern to a useful facility of your town. Meat can now also be salted or smoked like fish and certain fruits can be preserved using sugar. As a new dairy product from the North Skyr is added, made from raw milk while cheese now needs salt for even more efficient preservation.

Meat can now also be salted or smoked like fish and certain fruits can be preserved using sugar. As a new dairy product from the North Skyr is added and made from raw milk while cheese now needs salt for even more efficient preservation. Wheat and rye which are used to bake bread are now inedible and have to be processed to flour.

Farming reworked

Climate becomes slightly warmer in this version by about 2.5 degree. Must be the climate change or so but who knows. The more important fact is that this warm period makes farming more interesting. Just like the adjusted properties of crops. For example, beans are vegetables and now also provide protein but have a slightly smaller yield than other veges like cabbage. Turnips and onions are easy to grow and don't need any education while other crops should be grown by educated farmers. Apples and pears bring a higher yield but cherries and plums can be preserved using sugar for even better results. Crops from the New World are removed from the core mod to make a medieval or even Viking scenario more realistic.

Trading System

A new trading dock is included and can be combined to build up your own dock area. The new resource flags make it possible to control imports much better. So merchants will bring only typical trade goods from the North or from southern regions far away. You will get preserved foodstuff or living animals instead of fresh beef or chicken. Seeds and livestock are now common goods and don't need waiting for specialized merchants anymore. Gold and silver are used as medium of exchange in historical ratios of trade values. Coins are still used as well but more later if you build a big trading post.

Recultivation of Pits and Quarries

Now clay pits and quarries can be flooded and used as fishing waters when mining is over. I was fiddling a lot to include it in a realistic way with a nice look and feel but technically it was only possible after Bartender found the possibility to use the in game water material for new objects together with a fix of the 'pink water issue' found by Discrepancy. So this feature is dedicated to these modders! ;)

Professions and Education

Most of simple works like mining, hunting and gathering (except of herbs) don't need education anymore. Also herding and growing simple crops. So education is almost unimportant in ,,old times" where people usually did not go to school. On the other hand education is now something to achieve. Your people always start uneducated on a new map and have to build a school to improve the productivity of crafting professions.

Adapted Mods

A couple of new mods are adapted to work in the North scenario. These are Despo20 Medieval Houses, EB Saltworks, EB Herbalist, EB Leatherworks and Kids More Houses as well as a couple of DS mods. All mods from the old recommended list like Mini Buildings, Forest Outpost and so on are still working with this version.

Have fun with this mod and let me know your ideas and suggestions or bugs if you find something. This is an ongoing project. :)

twilightbreeze

So I don't need to build the bloomery then? The blacksmith will make iron bloom out of ore, as well as metals and weps?
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

Tom Sawyer

You need it. I meant it is used by a blacksmith (profession) and not by a smelter. You can make him to switch between the workplaces or you just add a second smith to run both workplaces at the same time.

RedKetchup

This a copy of the post from twillightbreeze .....

Quote from: twilightbreeze on December 09, 2017, 08:34:08 AM

Actually, Tom posted his update several hours before I posted, so I figured ok to.
Thank you Red, for shaming me for being exited about it, it really made my morning.
:(

And actually, I have found a small problem....the bloomery worker is listed as the Blacksmith and won't work the bloomery.

Quote from: twilightbreeze on December 09, 2017, 01:48:41 PM
So I don't need to build the bloomery then? The blacksmith will make iron bloom out of ore, as well as metals and weps?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

I am very very sorry @Tom Sawyer   :'(  :'(  :'(

i made a very bad manipulation while i wanted to move your The Nordic topic from Mod Talk forum.

i personally tried to make a post to kinda restore your announce.
unfortunately, everything, in all the other replies have been lost :(

again
i am very very sorry.

NK

Would you consider releasing the individual buildings included in this update (and a few other buildings from previous versions, i.e. the church) for use with CC and other mods incompatible with The North? I ask since the models and textures of your buildings are superb and I would very much like to be able to use them outside of The North mod.

Great work and thanks for the new content. 

Abandoned

Thank you @Tom Sawyer for the new North version.  Very nice indeed.  A lot of very interesting changes, a whole new challenge awaits.  :)

wiscoke

@Tom Sawyer  that tavern is a beautifull building. the way you did the glass windows, the roof. I love it! I don't know if you are doing requests, but some residential houses in the same style would make a nice village :)

Tom Sawyer

The first bug fix was already necessary to fix a crash when clicking on the building site of a brickyard and to craft barrows from wood only. This update is save compatible but you need to rebuild your smith's workplace. Please download again on banishedventures.com/north.

@NK Yes, I will make more separated items to add to vanilla based or CC maps.

@wiscoke Good idea. I have noted this for my town houses I plan in a future version.

Nilla

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 10, 2017, 12:28:33 PM
This update is save compatible but you need to rebuild your smith's workplace.

Just a small trick; you don´t have to rebuild the smith´s workplace. I just "fake demolised" it and now barrows are produced, just fine. :)

twilightbreeze

Just curious, what are "barrows" in this game?
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

Nilla

You need them to construct some buildings. I don´t know, if they can be used for something else.

brads3

wheel barrows,the trader sand vendors carry goods in. since we can't get the bannies to use different items,these have been "tricked" into the game. CC uses the building material requirements to do this as in furniture to make building supplies to be used to build higher-grade houses.or candles to dig mines deeper.useful items that fit the timeframe but the game doesn't allow for. there has been other attempts at this DS added wheels for his wagons.NECORA tried fish nets for the dock fishermen. some the itmes are required for initial ,others the buildings had to be upgraded or rebuilt periodically. what would be nice is if we could require a specific tool for workplaces. say a hoe for farmers and a pick axe for miners, or a basket for gatherers and a spear fot hunters. i do not know of any modder being able to do that yet.The way TOM wrote the it in the writeup i question it.

RedKetchup

I can say .. you made a TON of super good work on this @Tom Sawyer  :)

Hawk

YIPPIE!  ;D ;D

I just downloaded it. Will try to give it a play today.

Thank you Tom.  :)
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]