News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

POLL: Add LIKE or LIKE/DISLIKE as a feature on WOB

Started by Admin, February 08, 2017, 06:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

For the next 7 days this poll will be up to determine what the preference is for adding a Like / Dislike feature to World of Banished.  Please vote and then add some discussion in a post if you wish to provide more compelling reasons for supporting or not supporting this idea. 

The request has been made and I will weigh all options and provide more details for any changes that might occur.
Adding this feature should not cause much of an admin headache.
I had this feature originally but decided not to use it because I find discussion to be more helpful in the long run.

Convince me!  And the others who are fine with the status quo!

If you have other suggestions or ideas, feel free to post in the Suggestions area already setup for that!

Nominix

Could you add in an "indifferent" or "im good either way" choice as It doesnt really matter one way or the other to me but I have no poll option for that. Thanks in advance.

Admin

How's that? 

Quote from: Nominix on February 08, 2017, 07:12:59 AM
Could you add in an "indifferent" or "im good either way" choice as It doesnt really matter one way or the other to me but I have no poll option for that. Thanks in advance.

Hawk

I chose either way is fine with me.
I never use them myself as I prefer to post my comments regarding liking or disliking something (to better explain my thoughts) but I wouldn't want to stand in the way of others having access to the option(s).
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

QueryEverything

Hi all,
Being that I was one of the ones that asked for it, I should provide my explanation :)
Often times I read a topic and think a post, comment, image etc funny, excellently worded, or helpful, and I would like to let the author know that it's a good post.  I don't always get the time to react to each comment in the thread (my post count says otherwise, haha), but a quick read through of a topic, a quick "like" as I go, and there you have it I've told the poster "good job", with a button click.

I won't stop posting in threads, but there are some days where time is the enemy, where I can't reply to everyone who has posted, and I like to give a little "high five".

I don't like the idea of a dislike button, I don't think someone should casually come through, dislike a bunch of content, then waltz out, whilst not all would do that, I just feel off thinking that someone could do that.
Also, I don't like the idea of a "dislike" button because I feel it adds a competition element that just doesn't fit this forum, we're not here to compete, we're not here to put people down, we're here to support the modders, the moderators, the community as a whole.  We're not here to rubbish peoples ideas.
Any bad posts, that would be worthy of a "dislike" should be reported to the moderator anyway, not "disliked".
Also, we're not reddit.

I find also too, and especially it's painful, is when I'm in download announcement forum section, and I click on the link and there are 100 views, 20 downloads, but only 2 comments, but no feedback, few people use the "rate download" feature, and I think by having the "like" function in the forum post (as well as the rating system), may be a quick solution for getting positive feedback to the modder when they may not have gotten much feedback initially.

Not everyone has time to post, and I just think it's nice to have the visual boost of a person's "happy".

As a case in point, re the like & run, versus, posting their view, this poll.  @The Big Chihuahua asked for feedback, but there are more poll responses than there are comments :)  People "liked & run".  (tongue in cheek, not disparaging those that didn't post).  There are 10 respondents, but only 4 posters, but, the visual and initial feedback is there, and is still valid, and it shows that people are engaging on the forum, even if the posts aren't there. :)

I hope that clears things up for people :)

(EDIT), just so I know I've made myself clear, brain wandered, sorry - I'm referring to a like / upvote system, rather than a Facebook "Like".  :)
Facebook & Pinterest sharing would be cool, but, in this instance, "upvoting", is what I mean by "Like".

I have blanked out each response number as I don't want to 'skew' the polls by people reading comments before voting and see what the current responses are. :)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

solarscreen

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

chillzz

i voted either way, because it's actually up to the people running the board and i personally wouldn't use it (much), however
i can understand people wanting to 'like' a certain post i.e. new mod/idea etc. though this ain't facebook ;)

to show your appreciation for a certain mod, you should download and rate it at the download page...

if this gets implemented, i would vote for a like only though ... there's enough negativity on the net already.
and if a certain mod/idea isn't something you'd hope for you could just ignore it..  or explain in decent wording as reply on that post.

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Gatherer

I voted no and will simply not use the feature if eventualy implemented. It's becoming a trend lately to add this function to forums. Feels too "Facebooky" for my taste though.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

brads3

i agree with what QUERY said. if the like has to come with a dislike option then noo. a dislike would be disrespectful to the modders and their hard work. we may not all always agree on the types of mods we want,but we shouldn't dislike what they do.

Paeng

Yeah... It's more of a conversation ender - it's polite but impossible to respond to, guaranteeing a quick end to the exchange.

When composing a comment, I'm compelled to actually think about why I feel a need to respond to an image or a message. Liking a post allows me to bypass this thought process.

In this age of cliched abbreviations, a "like" button feels like another oversimplification of more complex and meaningful conversations. It's much easier to "like" a post than to write a comment - but hitting a "like" button, we are no longer being creative, crafting a witty or insightful response to post. A "like" is nothing but a canned response lining up neatly next to the six other identical "likes" on any given post.

So sorry - I feel rather strongly about this... But don't mind me, if a "like" system gets installed, I'll simply ignore it  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Tom Sawyer

Another aspect of Likes is that they always have an influence on content. It can lead to unification and mainstreaming. Innovative and unusual ideas or opinions are often unpopular and will be easily displaced. That's normal, but it is increased by constantly visualized statistics of popularity where mass counts and not good arguments. This also can affect mods. If a modder is sensitive to Likes, he may tend to release something pretty and simple (100 Likes) rather than creating a complex project on long term, important balancing changes or even things that make the game harder (0 Likes). I mean that in general. I would not care about Like statistics, when doing such things. ;D

kid1293

I am strongly against it when it becomes as @Tom Sawyer said - 'mainstreaming'
It's easy to push a button and don't think twice. If you have an opinion - Voice it!

Real input is important for me while making mods. If I know people like it but not why
I will feel crippled and sort of lose contact with the community. That would be bad.

Nilla

I just voted "No".

I have followed this discussion the past few days but not said anything about it. To me it was not a big question. If there were such buttons, I would not use them anyway. I'm not a frequent user of social medias and even if I sometimes read something, I like, I rarely use these buttons. (Maybe if my young nieces or my old mother put a picture on Facebook, I might press the like button, but more often I write "nice picture" or another small comment). As this poll came, I gave this question some more thoughts. And this made me more and more dislike the effects, that such buttons might have on a small website and a small community like this.

It looks like all agree, that we don't want a dislike button. I'm a person, who dare to say, if I dislike something. It's not disrespect! Contrary, if I would disrespect someone/something, I wouldn't care to comment anything. But if I say something negative, I want to say something more. Maybe start a discussion or wake some thoughts. A dislike button would never have that effect.

What effect has a like button. I don't buy the argument, that you sometimes want to give positive feedback and don't have time to write a normal comment @QueryEverything. How long does it take to write "Nice" or "Good"? I rather agree with @Tom Sawyer, that a simple "like" button might lead to a strange competition between modders, between testers/bloggers to get many likes, that it might lead to less diversity in mods, in comments, in threads. Not everyone would be much influenced, but I think some and what good would it bring, to risk this? I've been thinking and I can't really find anything.

And what is, if one mod/suggestion/comment/picture/blog.... gets no likes? Isn't that the same as a number of dislikes?

We have a rating system for the mods in the downlad section. But it looks like few people use it. I can confess; I can't remember, that I ever rated a mod. I don't know how I can. How could I compare a mod like the big NMT or the North with a small like the waterlilies or a small/big port? I can understand, that it might have a purpose, if someone comes to the site and want to download some good mods. There are 100s of them. Impossible to randomly find the "best". Maybe we should at least try to use this a bit more. And people like me, who have issues giving a note, at least write some comments, after we've tested a mod.

Abandoned

I voted NO , so where is this button so I don't have to give you my reasons?