News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Frenchman's Bend: trying for a soft landing

Started by irrelevant, November 11, 2014, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Year 122 - pop 731

So what I've been doing this evening is simulating auto-trading, that is, I have only been buying what I would have bought if auto-trading was turned on. It's been interesting, and very helpful in fine-tuning my planned auto trades, and also my current production. As a result of doing this I have built a couple more apiaries and foresters, and have modified my merchant orders.

One thing I realized is that if you are planning to do auto-trading, and also are making warm coats, you cannot rely on the same trader to bring you both leather and wool. I'm pretty sure that you will fill up on leather and run out of wool. You need to order leather from one merchant, and wool from another, as both share the textile flag.

This goes for all commodities, you want to order just one of any single kind of commodity from any given merchant. If you are making cheese and pecan pies, don't order milk and pecans from the same merchant.

The pop sine wave is starting. I have done everything I could think of to do, and here it comes nevertheless. I'm just going to stop worrying about it. I think, at least, it will be fairly shallow.

Five new houses since the previous entry.

I still don't have all my merchant orders squared away the way I have decided to do them, so I will not be running FB overnight tonight. I'll probably do that Saturday.

xyris

I wondered how to control the auto trading.  I couldn't see how to fine tune it. Now I have a better idea. :) Thank you!

irrelevant

As I have been working on these auto-trades, it occurs to me that most of them are designed to maintain production of things like pies, cheese, tools, and coats, and that the reason for most of this production is to provide goods for the trading posts! This is ridiculous! I've turned off all bakeries, dairies, mills, and all but two each of smiths and tailors, which should take care of tool and coat usage. I'm also turning off a chopper and firing 2-3 foresters. I'm going to stop trading altogether, and see what happens.

irrelevant

irrelevant

Year 135 - pop 773

Well, the sine wave has kicked in for real, and once that starts you can either let it happen, or build up to a higher baseline pop. I've got this town fine-tuned and ready to run overnight, so the sine wave can just wave away for the next couple of decades.  ;)

Maybe the next time it is nearing the top, I'll start the transition to NMT. That will really make the pop climb.

I replaced every vanilla barn with a @RedKetchup Irrelevant barn. Looks so much nicer! I'll never build a vanilla barn again.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

irrelevant

Seeing as how the soft landing experiment has gone totally off the rails, with the pop currently still in free-fall, I'm taking in the 44 nomads who just showed up. I have surpluses of everything, and houses most of all, so I don't think this is going to hurt me. Much  ;)

xyris

Well, that hasn't worked for me.  The nomad groups I accepted were mostly children and just exacerbated the problem.  But I was dealing with an uneducated population that fluctuated between 600 and 1000.  I'll go back to it when I get a new computer.

Nilla

You might remember, I have made some experiments with a constant population too, and yes; I did expect that!  ;) ;D

If you don't work wit coupling in boarding houses/closing houses it will happen. Unavoidable!

irrelevant

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on July 12, 2015, 06:38:34 PM
@Nilla which town was that? My memory is horrible  ::)

I know that, I mean the memory. Can't really believe it, but maybe we are getting old! But no, as long as we are playing computer games, I think we are still young!   ;)

In fact; I made several attempt with a constant population. Here is one: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=671.msg12045#msg12045

and here; another one: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=778.0

and I also learned a lot as I played the tiny settlement (not to compare with a real settlement, but you see the dynamics very well): http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=725.0

irrelevant

Year 160- pop 726

All my fake-demolished houses are now back up, and I can start building again. Immediately need a couple of schools and to replace producers that burned in the unattended overnighter. ;D

@Nilla, after reading  back thru your linked towns, I think you and I would be in agreement that flat pop is very difficult to achieve, and probably is not worth the struggle required to achieve, unless you are bored and looking for something to do with your time.  ;D

And now that FB is back in business, my thousands of books are burning a hole in my pocket. I'm going to finally explore what is possible with @RedKetchup's NMT mod. Here is where it will begin:

Image 1 - going to begin by demolishing this market and replacing it with NM markets and 2-3 story residences. I'll spread out from there. In general, the pastures will go, and the farms will be pushed out, replacing the forest nodes. I'll start buying logs instead of just relying on producing them. Going to spread this out across the map. Eventually I will no longer be able to produce food, as I'll hit the 999,999 limit. I'll delay this as long as I can by using warehouses to stockpile food; after that I'll use the NMT canals for TPs to import food.

Image 2 - okay, very cool! @RedKetchup I've said this before, you are the god of mod. :D

Nilla

You can now understand, why I'm so fond of these houses. I'm also very fond of the canal trading ports (even those I used in an improper way ;) )

Just one advice (or maybe two ) : Don't forget to level the ground, before you build a canal trading port. If the ground isn't completely flat, it doesn't look as nice as otherwise.

If you want some nomads, keep one of the original ports. As far as I have noticed; these ports don't attract nomads, nor does the "no more seeds" mod from @slink works.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on July 14, 2015, 11:23:32 AM
As far as I have noticed; these ports don't attract nomads, nor does the "no more seeds" mod from @slink works.
I'm using No More Seeds, and nomads come all the time.