News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-filling small maps

Started by Nilla, June 16, 2019, 03:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I somehow miss writing these blogs. I don´t know if anyone else misses them, but anyhow I´ll write a little about the game I just finished and show you some pictures. I also have an idea about my next game, that I intend to write about more along the way.

Second attempt to fill a small mountain map went well. Not totally without bugs but this time a more amusing than an annoying/game disturbing bug. Well doesn´t mean totally without trouble. I was a bit damaged by diseases but otherwise, @kid1293´s rowhouse mod is almost as space saving as the 3 storehouses from @RedKetchup. My guess is that the RKEd town could have been slightly bigger than this one but not much.

How big did I manage to make this town? I have no clear answer. I like "sustainable settlements. That means first no homeless nomads filling the streets and also that it can survive not 10 000 years like our friend @irrelevant´s town but at least until the population starts to drop. So fully sustainable, the high was about 3860 until people started to die of tuberculosis. But if I count the nomads that arrived after the population had sunk to about 3700, the population would be well over 4000. It would have been no problems to support them but not possible to give them homes. So even if I wanted 4000, I find 3860 is a lot on a small mountain map.

I´ll show you some pictures. You will not see much free buildable space. Note that I have no leveling tool, so I have only built on the original building space. (Well, no use to play on a mountain map, if you intend to take the mountains away, anyway)

First picture
Highest population.........

Second picture
...... if not these are allowed (but they weren´t)

Third picture
This is pretty much how everything looks. Not much variation.

Fourth picture
Some menus and statistics. You can also see that I´ve used every possible space to build houses. I suppose not really meant to be built like this. Sorry Kid!  :-[

Fifth picture
No game of mine without bugs. This one was harmless. Every time as there was a fire, some people didn´t find the burning house. Instead, they walked across the mountains with their buckets of water, looking for something burning. When the other had turned out the fire, they simply went back. I might have lost a few who froze to death in winter but normally nothing bad happened. As I said: rather amusing than annoying.

kid1293

brads3

welcome back ,NILLA. KID made houses thart will sit into the mountains without having to level them.plus he made more 2 and 3 story options. you'd be better off with more mods you would have less glitches.LOL

Nilla

Quote from: kid1293 on June 16, 2019, 03:54:39 PM
LOL
It looks ... crowded  ;D ;D
Yes; I guess the town ought to be renamed to Crowded. Sorry, Kid for misusing your nice mod in this way. But maybe you can find it amusing to look at it in this extreme way, too. If you want to look at your mods in a more pleasant way, there´s always @Abandoned and other more balanced players than me.

Quote from: 1 on June 17, 2019, 12:31:07 AM
This lack of space is too much for bannies to handle. If they don't get diseases, they get mad losing touch with nature, just see building rows all the time.  :D
Wrong; I didn´t have one teacher that needed to be banished after getting mad, no murdered vendor or other weirder things than people wanting to put out fires in not burning mountains. Maybe that´s crazy enough but maybe they simply love to live next to all their fellow citizens.  :P

After I wrote my entry yesterday, I wasn´t really tired enough to go to bed and I didn´t want to start a new game, so I thought; OK I´ll give it another year or two. Maybe it will pass the 3860 inhabitants. And actually, it did. But only to about 3880 then first the settlement was struck by Typhus. Everyone sick (first picture). But more people were killed in the second picture! I know; it´s kind of stupid to play disasters on in such a game but I like the thrill. I also find that recover a settlement is funny.

This tornado struck my prime commercial area. The damage was limited. I have big stores, overproduction and too many TP, so it will not kill the settlement. So the new game will need to wait. The only not so funny thing is that so many people died; almost 1000, that there are much more homes than families, which means a lot of separated couples, that need to be located and forced back together. A bit tedious with more than 1000 houses. But it´s been a long time since I recovered a town that has suffered many deaths, so I will do it.

kid1293

No problems, they were meant to be built like this.

...but it looks funny.  ;D

Artfactial

I actually quite like the use of Kid's row-houses like this!:)

Ohdear...that indeed are some disasters...Of course they always strike when we relaxingly 'just want to go for another few years' ending in major crisis management.:P

Nilla

Quote from: Artfactial on June 17, 2019, 03:28:17 AM
Ohdear...that indeed are some disasters...Of course they always strike when we relaxingly 'just want to go for another few years' ending in major crisis management.:P

Yes! That´s Banished! And honestly one of the reasons that I love this game and return to it over and over again. All mods the guys here present are of course another main reason.

I was at the dentist this afternoon. NOT NICE! Painful and expensive. So I wanted to relax with a bit of Banished crisis management in the early evening. It started alright but the diseases kill (Bannis and my patience) and I have decided to give up at least for now.

Remember the tornado happened in the early autumn year 53. It´s now late summer 58; less than 5 years. The settlement has suffered following outbreaks.
And remember there was a massive outbreak of Typhus as the tornado struck the settlement.

Measles (~3 infected)
Thyphus >1000
Tuberculosis ~5
Small Pox 1
Scarlet Fever 1
Thyphus >1000
Mumps 1
Thyphus 4
Small Pox presently 95 (if I go on playing it will be >1000 and many 100 deaths)

If this had been a mod from our friend @Tom Sawyer (are you still around?) I would have said that the merchants who visit the small ports bring a disease 10 times as often as a vanilla merchant, just to balance the possible overpower of this small port. No mean thing I wouldn´t expect from him. ;) But @kid1293 is such a nice guy, so I can´t imagining him doing such an evil thing.

The strategy you are using in your huge town @OnkelAqua2 with many hospitals on places where people pass by and always a few that are infected from harmless diseases like mumps is good. As long as a few people suffer from mumps, there will be no Thyphus or Smallpox outbreaks. But the problem in this town is; there is hardly any outbreaks of mumps or diphtheria. There are mostly the mean ones. If I play a few more years I will probably experience the Plague for the first time.

Anyhow the settlement has now recovered to 3700 inhabitants. That will be enough for now!

Tom Sawyer

Around not much but getting notification if someone spreads rumor about my mod.^^ In truth I reduced the chance of diseases caused by merchants to balance the higher frequency of boats. I'm not that bad as my reputation. ;D

Welcome back, I'm glad you are recovering @Nilla!

Nilla

I know @Tom Sawyer that you are a very nice guy but sometimes you bring us really mean things (that I´m usually very fond of).

Now to my next attempt to fill a map to its limits. This time I don´t expect much diseases, because I will play without any trade; no merchants, no nomads, a spread settlement with many fields and orchards.

I got a little inspired here on some threads from people who are playing (more or less) unmodded games. It´s been a very long time since I played without mods. And to be honest, this game isn´t completely unmodded either. Just for fun and because it looks beautiful, I´m using Kid´s tree replacer. It´s a small map so I don´t think the size will hurt. I just saw that there´s a new version but the old one is also nice. Everything else is pure "vanilla".

This time it´s not a mountain map, it´s a normal valley. I was pretty lucky by looking for a suitable map. If you don´t want all too much trouble, the best thing is to start "Easy" with sheep, one vegetable, one grain, and one orchard fruit. I expected to need to search a long time until such a map appeared. It started as such a search usually do; chicken, chicken, cows, then sheep. I expected pepper and cabbage as seeds but to my astonishment, it was wheat and potatoes. Then I supposed it will only have walnuts as orchard seed. And indeed it had walnuts but also pears. :) The starting position may not be perfect but it´s not bad. And the overall look of the map is decent, too. You can see the seed and settings cut into the first picture.

I have some ideas I want to test. I´ll tell you along the way.

First picture
Map and settings.
I started with the school but there was no chance to get the first child educated. I saw there were two 9-year-old children so I built the school as fast as possible next to the stockpile. But no chance. They hadn't even carried enough building materials to the school as she became 10.

Second picture
A lot has happened in 6 years. (Or in fact, it´s spring so it´s only a little more than 5 years.)

kid1293

Hi @Nilla !
If you like the vanilla 'look' you should test my Old Town mod. It is all about vanilla.
Maybe you just wanted an unmodded game...

Nilla

I´m pretty pleased by the vanilla for now but I´ll keep that in mind. The buildings look great and I suppose they all have "vanilla function". Thanks for reminding me.

irrelevant

I also have a strong preference for vanilla. All the options mods give you just make my head hurt.

At what point did you tear down the 6th house in the easy start circle? I hate the way those are laid out.

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on June 19, 2019, 09:57:50 AM
I also have a strong preference for vanilla. All the options mods give you just make my head hurt.

At what point did you tear down the 6th house in the easy start circle? I hate the way those are laid out.

I can´t say, I prefer vanilla. I haven´t played a vanilla game for a very long time. Now, when I finally do it, I like it, too. But I wouldn´t like to miss all the mods. With them, there´s a new game with a new look and new dynamics every time.

I don´t like the way the initial hoses are placed either. The first thing I do when I start to upgrade to stone houses is to tear them down. So it´s been a while since I tore that house down and you can see, that the others, at least 4 of them, are on their way to go as well. Or rather would have been torn down if I had continued to play from here. But I decided to start from the beginning.

Why? There´s no problems or nothing wrong with this start.

Right. But I had an idea for this game: I want to support as much of the settlement as possible with fuel using coal and firewood from cut down fruit trees. I think it saves space for farms and houses. So I got this maybe weird idea, to test if it´s possible to build a settlement without using any foresters. To make it even more interesting, I will also use no gatherers or hunters.

So I started again from the beginning. The start isn´t much different. Same map and settings, even the town name is the same.

First picture
You can see my strategy: many small orchards all with the hight of 4 tiles and an odd number of tiles length; mostly 4*13. I want them to have as many trees as possible. There is a bit of micromanagement. We´ll see how it works later when the game grows but so far it isn´t much trouble: after the harvest, I chose orchards to cut. How many depends on what I need more logs of food. In spring the farmers have cut and replanted the trees, so I close the orchards. Here I´m short on laborers so they will do laborers work until late summer/early autumn when it´s time to pick fruit again. Later when I have a larger workforce, I will send the farmers who are done with planting directly to the new orchards in spring. This way I will only need to pay attention to the orchards twice each year. I think that will be manageable on a small map, even when it´s full.

Second picture
So far it works fine. There are too many orchards at the moment: plenty of logs, plenty of fruit. I´ve used orchards as a source for logs since I first played Banished but I´ve never done it this extreme so I need to experiment a bit how many orchards there need to be. I´ve also started to produce coal.

Third picture
I´ve expanded the settlement towards the river. We need fish. I plan to build only a few markets, maybe one more to secure raw materials to blacksmiths and chopper. The people will have to pick up their food in barns. That´s the reason I´ve built the fields here close to the fisher. At the moment it works fine; all food categories in the barn. They will still need to walk far for fuel, tools (and clothes) But later I will build a coal mine in the area. and as you can see; odd pieces of clothing and tools will land in the remote barns as well.

brads3

next map burn just thatch or fodder and no firewood.  how long before the population grows you into a corner? as you need more food you also will need to cut all those orchards for wood. are you on Easter Island?

while you were away, there has been some experiments to adjust the tree growths. they live longer and don't all die off.but RED has them growing faster and multplying more. the latest RK EC version,you won't need a forester per say. you need gardeners to keep the trees from over growing the villages. we gained a point but added different challenges to the game.

Nilla

This game has no mods, remember @brads3. Besides; I was never a fan of using grass or reed as fuel. Why should you use a material with such a poor energy content as fuel when you have trees? If you have no, it´s another matter, you must use what you can. Fir or pear? Does it matter? Not much.

So far it works. Not much to tell. A nice and simple vanilla game. The micromanagement of the orchards works fine, not much trouble to cut trees after the harvest and relocate farmers in spring. I have built a little bit more orchards than I really need but not all too much. I think this would work also when I fill the map.

First picture
Normally I use to buy stones and iron so I don´t have all these accidents. But there are a lot of them. Maybe Salvaro would still be alive if he had stayed stonecutter. Instead, he found a miserable death his first day in the mine.  :'(

Here I´ve just built my second market.

Second picture
That second market led to that the barns in this farming/fishing area in spring mostly contained fish and the health have dropped a ½ star. I´m about to increase the production of wheat and potatoes. You need a larger overproduction when you only build a few markets. We´ll see if I can regain the last ½ hart or if I must be satisfied with 4½. It would be OK but I´ll try to get 5again.

Am I not an expert in locating schools? 13 students in each school. Couldn´t be more perfect. ;)

GLAD MIDSOMMAR ALLIHOP!