News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BRAD'S SETTLING OF AMERICA SERIES: Vicks #6

Started by brads3, November 13, 2017, 11:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@brads3 correct me if I am wrong but you were using kid's colonial 106 and having trouble with market?  Why did you not update to kid colonial resources mod? 

brads3

the colonial mod was upgraded to 1.07.the vendor got stuck in 1 of those loops where he collects but can't store materials.KID fixed it and set the provision store to basic needs items.i never got to tearing it down and totally rebuilding the store.

brads3

YEAR 33

We have 1 boardinghouse empty.we begin with 57 farmers and down to 14 laborers.hopefully, i can get the food up before any more nomads arrive.there are some construction propjects being finished.a vegetable sorter,2 hothouses,and some housing is being finished.a 3rd dock workshop is to be added to use the reeds faster.

i chose EB's material vendor to follow for the year.hie market is almost full.the 1st assigned vendor ran collecting items from various places at once,instead of just collecting from 1 spot.he then ran out past barns to a farther barn to store some of the items walks back to a closer barn and drops off the other items he was carrying.though the items were different and did need to go to different storages,you would think he would have dropped to the closer barn then continued to the other.it was also odd that he collected so many goods before walking to store them.that makes him more efficient.
the 2nd assigned worker argued with the doctor on who was doing what. they flip flopped both jobs for a short while.the 3rd took logs out of the material market and delivered to a building project.this is a very handy ability.

to help the food situation i did early harvest 2 bean fields and  some orchards.the other crops are too low on production for it to help.the colder climate is slowing the growth.by mid fall,the other crops have started harvesting themself even if the crops weren't ready.as soon as it snowed,i checked the production.though the storage of food hardly moves,it does show over 30,000 in produced food. it is leaving the fields and going to houses as quickly.
    what is weird is several famrers in the same house produce different amounts. closer fields are less than farther fields as well.seem to be totally random. 2 fields side by side show a huge differnce even if the same crop.the 1 consistancy is all root crops show losses.nothing wants to grow good here in this climate.apples are better with 2 workers.beans with their short growing season are having trouble.i did check educated and uneducated farmers.2 educated wheat farmers on side by side fields are totally different.on some uneducated produce more than educated.
     just to be miserable,all the builders went on a homeless strike since they have nothing to build.didn't last long as they all returned to their own homes. just shows the weirdness of this map.

mid winter,food showing 2500+ with all the crops harvested.as soon as the bannies restock their houses in spring that will drop farther.we definetly can not support a city in this harsh climate here.at 59 farmers,plus RK's greenhouses,2 gatherers,several hunters and fishermen,we should be able to support 300 bannies easily.at this point we are lucky to break even. the last 2 summers,several bannies have perished due to starvation when they could not locate the food we did have.the cemetary is overfull,1 boardinghouse remains crowded,and all our schools are filled.progress is at a stand still. the only thing we have in excess is reeds.
        we could build a trading post and continue mining and forest productions.we could build a huge livestock operation to the west.the goal of building a city is definetly failed.

pic 1: garden sorting station
pic 2: hothouses
pic 3: full cemetary
pic 4: bean production
pic 5:total food production

Nilla

I can understand, that you have problems. Even if most of the people are involved in food production, it's hard to support that many children and students. Especially as you don't have a very high rate of education. You have reached the starting point of the "death spiral". If there's just enough food, no surplus, the people might have to go further away to find food. They probably will not get much, so they will soon have to go again. It will probably not be well balanced from all categories, so the health gets down and they must visit the herbalist more often. That means the productivity gets down.

Do I have any advice, what you could do? Let as many as you can spare produce food or profitable export goods to sell for food. Reduce the number of children. Maybe build more smaller houses and of cause take no new nomads until the educational rate gets higher, maybe 75% or so. That's what I would have done. But it might be too late for this settlement.

Gatherer

And get into a habbit of building some goddamned roads and fences already so that people actually gain some speed in going about their business without cutting corners offroad.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

brads3

GATHERER,do fences help keep the bannies walking on the roads? i have not tried that. the plan was to come back and widen the main road going east to west and upgrade it to stone.there is also room for a road out to the center of the fields.sometimes i do use the grassy roads mod. that has a verant grass road. it acts as a road but is nice for lawns around buildings. i also like to use it along roads especially in forests. then the road looks 1 space wide but is 3 tiles wide.the "country road" texture is like a dirt and mud with some grass. lots of times i use it along the woodcutter and blacksmiths or other production areas.it fits well in high traffic areas.so there is more roads than it looks. i suppose i need a better zoom option.

NILLA,yes the trading could be done to help overcome the food shortage.or utilize more land.i actually start to think the multi start option mod is affecting crops.it is a huge difference from this harsh climate map to a fair climate map.the outputs are so random from 1 field to another.the goal of excepting all nomads and building a huge city is failed though.why am i getting huge groups of nomads???? i am guessing it is due to there being 2 boardinghouses.normally i would get several small sets and not get a large set til after 25 years.

Nilla

I can't say, how it is in all the mods you use, but normally boardinghouses or not, have no influence on how many nomads you get. But I know there has been modded boardinghouses, that attracts nomads, so maybe it's something like that. But you can say "no" to nomads and only take some, if the situation is really safe. It might take longer to reach your goals, but better to get there eventually, than not at all, because people are starving. You young people are so impatient. ;)

Was the outcome from the fields different from the start or did it come now, as the food is short? In an harsh climate the outcome varies a lot between the years. As I said; in my harsh Nordic climate it's between 0 and 100 %. It also varies between the crops. Some crops grow better, if it's cold, some better if it's warm. But the variation between fields with the same crop the same year, isn't very big. If there's a variation it's probably because the farmer makes something else (like visiting herbalist, picking up food for his home.......) That's why I asked, if it's been that way from the start. I can very well understand, that it's that way now, when you are short on food. If the farmer discovers a market far away, where there's food he will go there, even if it's time to plant or harvest.

brads3

the earliest save i have is yr 22. it is right as the nomads arrived before a food crisis.142 population with over 12,000 food.5000 of which is those dang blueberries. the orchards are a half to a 3rd of what they should be.grain fields are down under 500 already. vegetables are nromal.education was 48%.

i agree there is some domino affects once the food runs short.the bannies start drinking and hoarding water pulling it away from RED's greenhouses.then the greenhouses and stable end up short.this map and the LANDING FORT both had huge nomad groups. they come closer together also.usually the tiny townhall pulls small groups for several years like 2 to 8.then it gradually builds up the sizes or groups.random and bad luck?

brads3

good morning. i want to go back and do a summary for each of the maps in this series. then come back do 1 for VICK's and do an overview summary to pull it all together. i think there is mod ideas and other info especially with the mod changes along the way.

brads3

SERIES REVIEW

since the upgrade to the 1.07 version of banished. started with 99 mods added more along the way to 117.there has been several adjustments to the mod order to fix issues.not every mod is used in every map.several work in the background to affect start settings or fix and prevent glitches.a couple work to bridge differences between some mods.for the moment,CC is used as a base to bring crop seeds and livestock.for a detailed list and reason for each,check out VICKS.

started with LANDING FORT,a water world map to establish a base point to launch other maps from.we worked inland from there. as i progressed i tried to give each new town a different goal.a farming town,a mining and production village,the city of TOWNS.there were attempts at going farther NORTH and at using the upograded NAT DIV mod.some maps were more successful than others. some took longer to build and played many many years.the series shows 6 maps but there were a couple more maps attempted that were not counted.they were abandoned quickly due to mod conflicts.

along the journey,i have tried to point out things for new players.threw tidbits of info to help playstyles here and there.tried to give different views of the tools in the toolbar.have built different mod sets along the way.there is tons of pics to showcase them.still,i have not built everything in the toolbox.the computer wouldn't let me finish "TOWNS",which would have had all the mods in 1 map.since then more have been added.

the indians have helped and taught us. many have joined our villages and helped them expand.they complain there is no turkeys for them to hunt.they harrassed ABANDONED for stealing their tents and huts.many engineers have helped design and develop the many mods and tools.sadly some have left us over the years.some are around less often as well.all the many modders are appreciated.

i mean no disrespect to any modder or anyone for that matter.i do try to joke and have fun along the way.more often than not i should be gonged instead of laughed with i suppose.sometimes things get lost or confused across translations.even TOm has made me walk the plank.i do hope i don't offend or upset anyone.don't mind me i have been on this planet long enough to be a little nutz. i also have not loaded every mod or mods from everyone either. some don't fit my play or building style.sometimes i try to load and use less mods.though it might not look that way.some i have trouble with trying to load. this computer won't even let me see  the pics of TANDY'S mods.i always feel bad that it could be taken that i am slighting someone.i have few DS mods.i actually looked back for his older carts,thinking they were free build and would be handy to start clearing areas.ths computer has a mind of its own.some sites it does not like.i don't even want to list all the modders cause i would not remember them all you all are appreciated. you do so much and put so much time into this game.this has been a very busy year with the upgrade to 1.07 and the community icon discovery.

there is more to be built. a capital city is needed.a trading port,mines,the swamps,a larger fort,an indian village,and of course more farming.heopfully more and better adventures lie ahead.

for now since the year is ending,i do want to go back and do a review of each map.use it to weed out some mod conflicts and keep track of adjustments that have been made.there are also some mod ideas along the way that i should put in 1 place.while doing the reviews to each map,i will keep some info and bring it back here. the many mods added and changes to the mod order,a list of some mod ideas.

brads3

VICK'S SUMMARY

goal here was to build a large city and use some of the decoration pieces that didn't get finished in TOWN's map.

mod adjustments:now at 117 mods,added multiple starts,CC orchards,KID's bakery with greenhouses,CC mable quarry,soapiry,and KID's storage carts.NMT above CC to solve water issues.

conflicts: multiple starts cancels the thatch on map start.have other concerns with this mod so it should be removed.
wierdness:bannies go homeless near the pumpkin greenhouse,teens get kicked out by parents and live in the boardinghouse,
another gets lost and goes gomless.he eventually finds his way back to his house.

nomads: 7 in yr 4,12 yr 10,21 yr 16,27 in yr 22.25 yr 27,19 in yr 30.

this map had food problems.i think there are several reasons for that though.recently the multiple start mod was added.it brings some different option to the start but was suppose to set as medium conditions.my hope was a different option start but keep the thatch and pine mods working at start. at start those mods should overlay the map with various items.1 thatch and both different foods.sadly the thatch is not working that way.no thatch grows without a thatch hut.a minor inconvenience by itself.however,the map also has a "homeless" issue. several times teens get kicked out forcing them into boardinghouses.walking by a pumpkin greenhouse causes homeless.when houses are being built and framing starts the family goes homeless.the builders themself went homeless when no building projects were scheduled at the end.blueberries are overproducing though that may not be related to this mod.the odd randomness of food production may also be related to this mod.i can understand fields producing less or dying once cold hits.but it should be consistant  across several fields of the same crop.
        there are a couple stories with blueberries lately producing more than the 1.06 version.different players using different mods even.it is possible that i didn't catch this before.seems i did check an old save and found the blueberry fields were overproducing before.in the forest,the pine mod compensates since it brings so many other items.going through my mod order,the only mod that might be affecting it is the NMT set above CC.i have issues with moving that mod.that was moved above CC to solve water issues.the NMT tower only produced over 200 in this map. i acutally thought it should be over 400.i could swap the NMT and fodder and use those wells. combined the fodder well,an EB canal resevoir,and the NMT tower produce 1000 between them.the fodder well is almost 350 itself.i suppose the forget orchard mod could affect blueberry but it would be odd that i didn't catch it. the forget orchard mod i have used for a long time.
    now and then the duckhunters do catch fish.5 fish with 600-900+ ducks is not a problem.feather output is 14 each year.
     KID's greenhouses are producing decent. a 7x7 greenhouse is 46 squares,half a 10x10 field.since they grow all year,it makes sence they would give 4-500 food.the pumpkin is low but it is also much smaller.6x4=24 squares. half the size of the 7x7,so they might be lower than they should be. since they are labeled as famrers,are these greenhouses affected by the cold climate? the watermelons in a 7x7 greenhouse do seem to be producing less than hoped. i think another test or 2 will tell more and give a better idea of which crops work in these greenhouses.RED's greenhouses prodcue more per size but also require water and fertilizer.both sets have their uses.i debate taking my 3rd greenhouse set out,so i could move KID's set in the mod order.the CC tropical greenhouse uses excess bonemeal.we don't have a composter to fix this.

storage system. this is an ongoing situation i am still trying to figure out.i tried using 1.06 barns to make things easier.the hope was the nordic barns would not store so many items.bonemeal,clay,coal,and salt are still scattered all over.this is both 1.06 barns and markets.most likely related to the 1.07 compatability mod.the item specific market carts from CC store multiple items as well. in fact the log cart stored coal and stopped moving logs.i do not think moving mods or loading old market mods will solve this.i really don't want to offer much advice on fixing this until i investigate and try some more things.
         there are gains. since the industrial market plaza won't store new flag items,using CC cellars nearby helps.going forward mods need to store less of the new items and more of the original basic items.food,tools,clothing,herbs,and firewood are needed everywhere.fertilizer,coal,salt,etc are not.this should give the bannies a market that stores what they need without the vendor storing everything else.my advice would be not to even add a textile tag to storage of central markets.