News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Retexturing Tutorial

Started by LadyMarmalade, October 10, 2015, 04:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyMarmalade

Could anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial about retexturing Banished buildings?  I've done a few searches but came up empty-handed.

Having realised a long time ago that I didn't have a clue about actual mod-making but still wanting to contribute something I thought I might have a go a re-texturing as I have a little experience with textures from other games. Chances are it will be beyond me too- but I would like to give it a try.

Any tips/advice/pointers would be appreciated.
I am not a Gamer because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many.

RedKetchup

at my opinion we cannot retexture banished because we dont have the original textures nor we have any idea of what these textures looks like cause everything has been baked. if you go look at the apiary provided in the toolkit , and you look at its texture, if you didnt see it, you cannot have any idea how it could look and how the parts (roof,walls,items) has been baked together
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

LadyMarmalade

Thanks, RK.  It's as I feared then. In order to have different looking buildings,they have to be made from scratch rather than extracting the mesh and simply applying a different texture.  I was hoping it was going to be similar to retexturing meshes, which I have done in other games.

It's a shame because I dislike being just a 'taker' in these communities and not being able to give anything back. I will have to try and come up with some other way to be useful!
I am not a Gamer because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many.

irrelevant

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 10, 2015, 05:44:54 PM
at my opinion we cannot retexture banished because we dont have the original textures nor we have any idea of what these textures looks like cause everything has been baked. if you go look at the apiary provided in the toolkit , and you look at its texture, if you didnt see it, you cannot have any idea how it could look and how the parts (roof,walls,items) has been baked together
I cannot imagine how any sense can be made out of that image! :o I mean, I see where all the parts are, and where they go, but what kind of logic can decypher it??

RedKetchup

these are made with the 3D programs , like 3DSMax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dehYAtTjZeg

there is a good video to show how it is done. even if you know nothing about making 3D , just watch and you see everything how it sone. which is is still very complicated even if the guy make looks like simple. more complicated your design is , more complicated to do it ^^

RedKetchup

OMG i think i just finally learned to bake my pictures  :o

;D

if i follow the guy tutorial.....
my Floor 1 Model 1 texture should give that :

LOL

Gatherer

And @irrelevant et all thought apiary example was incomprehensible.

lol

That's just insane.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

chillzz

didn't @slink retexture the houses with the lego colours? or was that something else?
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

RedKetchup

yes but it was an extremly crude re-map draw because we cannot be precise

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=493.0

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 11, 2015, 04:55:42 PM
yes but it was an extremly crude re-map draw because we cannot be precise

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=493.0
based on the 'lego' remap and a 'jigsaw' image one with a serious amount of patience and time could do it ;)
but learning and using 3d software, output and convert for use as mod in banished looks like an easier task :P
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 10, 2015, 05:44:54 PMat my opinion we cannot retexture banished

Sorry Red - I don't mean to argue with you  ;)
But how did Wintin do this then?

click for full size

Mod: http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/614-ATRM-The-Amazons-Hide

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

ShockPuppet

Probably just opened the vanilla textures. I've looked at a few before.

Spartanis

LOL..

Baking is indeed difficult to follow, but once understood, becomes quite easy.

Blender 3d made the Baking Tools so easy to do.. Allowing users to bake textures, AO, Normals, etc etc etc.. 

Modelling Buildings and creating Textures is easy for me. I too wish to contribute to Banish Modding, but I still having trouble wrapping my head around the example files and documents regarding creating mods.

Mind you, when I looked into Simutrans Modding, i had similar problems. All Simutrans mebers have to offer is Data Files. and thats it. No explanation.  but after a year of persistence and trial and error, I was able to understand and create a complete mod (unpublished) for myself to play with.

downloadmyheart

Quote from: Paeng on October 13, 2015, 10:51:01 AM
Quote from: RedKetchup on October 10, 2015, 05:44:54 PMat my opinion we cannot retexture banished

click for full size
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5012419/Banished/laketown_pre/laketown04.jpg

Mod: http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/614-ATRM-The-Amazons-Hide

Sorry Red - I don't mean to argue with you  ;)
But how did Wintin do this then?

Hello guys, Wintin here, i just havin' my X'Mas vacation & saw this topic here. How i did it was by extracting the in-game texture using the program called "TexMod", it's free but sometimes anti-virus detected it as virus becaused it inject into the game's exe-memory. Just googled it & so many tutorials over the youtube, Happy holidays everyone (sorry for my english) :)