News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The fast forward challenge

Started by kee, February 13, 2015, 01:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kee

Got a hour and a half to kill? Well, why not play a silly bout of Banished?

We're about to set up a hamlet in 10X mode.

Here are the rules, laws and ordinances of this challenge:
*Game settings:
Use any map seed
Terrain type valleys
Terrain size medium
Climate mild
Disasters on
Starting conditions hard
Vanilla version or mods who don't allow for speedier construction allowed.

*No game pausing allowed. Lay off the space bar. The only pause you even can consider is the pause button on buildings under construction.
*As soon as game launches set speed to 10X. Yes, even before you position your windows.
*When you reach late spring year 10 the challenge is over. Take some screenshots, post them in this thread.

Now, who's the winner?
Let me propose a few criteria from which to judge:
* To pass you must have built at least:
- A town hall
- A market
- A trading post
(yes it's ridiculous to have them up this early. I said it was a silly challenge)
*To pass summa cum laude you must have:
-A food surplus of your population X 100
-More than four hearts
-More than four stars
-Housing for all, no houses to be cold
-No people without tools
-Built at least one: School, Boarding house, Tavern and Bridge
*Extra honors will be awarded to the one who:
-Has reaped at least one crop from a field or orchard

I tried this just now, and lazy ass that I am didn't pass laude. Screencaps added. It was a fun and very different way of playing than I am used to, though.
Kim Erik

salamander

The Honor System is alive and well (ie, no pausing), which I think suites this forum pretty well.  Any takers?  FYI -- I can't because I seem to have an inherently criminal mindset and would pause every chance I got.  ;)

irrelevant

I like this idea very much!

Quote from: kee on February 13, 2015, 01:48:56 PM
* To pass you must have built at least:
- A town hall
- A market
- A trading post
(yes it's ridiculous to have them up this early. I said it was a silly challenge)
It most certainly is not ridiculous. I normally have a market and a TP by year 10; the town hall can be tough though. ;D

Nilla

Although I am honest in things like this, maybe close to stupidity, so I wouldn´t cheat, but all the same; it is not a challenge for me. I  can´t play 10x, much too stressful for a sick old lady.  :-\

kee

→Lizards with criminal intent should see this challenge as a... well... challenge. In self control.
→Of those three I very seldom have more than a trade port  at year 10, I'm usually a very slow builder who likes to see his population have a near linear development. That's why I thought a challenge like this would be fun- it takes me out of ingrained methods.
→Mylady, you should loan that nameless elks linux rig. Apparently vine has tangled up the speed something awfully and he plays at 10x as default. A.moose: This challenge was made for you!
Kim Erik

irrelevant

Well, that was stressful and exciting! Lots of fun.

Did pretty well, no harvested crop though. Only got seeds in Winter 9; had the TP built in year 3, but all the merchants brought just food or livestock until the last one.  ::)

Thanks for the challenge, @kee!

Build order:

Year 1
School
Barn
Hunter
Gatherer
Forester
House

Year 2
Chopper
Smith
House
Herbalist
House

Year 3
Tailor
TP
House
Market
House

That was my planned order; I think I more or less did that. Year 4 and later, who knows what got built?! ;D

Edit: I should add in the interest of full disclosure that I did hit the pause button from reflex a number of times, and every time I unpaused it right back. I normally do play making liberal use of "pause!"

rkelly17

Why am I not surprised that @irrelevant is the first to take up the challenge?

Nice job.

irrelevant

@rkelly17 thanks! This was quite a lot of fun. Got me nicely out of my comfort zone. And it really did take just an hour or two (I didn't time it).

kee

And an impressive summa cum laude for irrelevant, who as ususl show us how things should be done.
Our next candidate is?
Kim Erik

Demonocracy

This way way harder than I thought it would be.  I actually went through several seeds and everyone-dies-at-the-first-winter moments.  Finally around the 5th try, I found the right seed and built just the right things to make it work. 

Positives:

- A town hall
- A market
- A trading post
- A food surplus of your population X 100
- More than four hearts
- More than four stars
- Housing for all, no houses to be cold
- No people without tools
- Bridge
- Boarding House

Plus:
-Everyone clothed
-Cemetery
-Hospital
(And I aaaalmost had a church too!)

Not achieved:

-No School
-No Tavern
-No Crops (or seeds)

I will say this... I really value the pause button now.  I never realized how important it is to my gameplay--especially at the start of a game.  It was a struggle to make it through the first couple years without being able to pause.  It got easier as the game went on though, mostly because activities were in queue.

It was a lot of fun.  Thanks for the challenge!

So, what's the next challenge?   :)

kee

A very good attempt still, and a pass of course. It's easy to forget the targets and start to build in the order you think's best for a sustained town, yesno?
Kim Erik

Demonocracy

It really is.  I find that the first part is me just panicking to survive the first winter.  After that first hurdle, the rest gets a little easier. 

irrelevant

Ah, yes, the pause! So enticing.... :P

Nicely done, @Demonocracy. Panic is what I remember from the first year as well.  :o

And welcome back!

Demonocracy

This was the cruelest part of the challenge by far:

"*As soon as game launches set speed to 10X. Yes, even before you position your windows."

Oh... my... gosh!  That really messed me up.  I couldn't even think!  I had to just get them working so I could have some time to get my windows up.  I'll say this though:  the experience was fun and definitely a unique challenge.

I'm looking forward to more challenges.  Keep them coming!  I'm eager to try my hand at the next.  If there are still-open challenges, could someone point me to them?

Thanks, guys!  And it's nice to see you again too, @irrelevant !

assobanana76

oh guys!
you need to scale the UI windows!   :D
too big!
the game window is reduced to a coin!  ;D
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!