News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

New trading mod over at banishedinfo

Started by canis39, September 14, 2014, 10:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canis39

http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/647-Trade-Price-Overhaul#description

A couple of interesting things with this one, besides the obvious "trade prices get modified". First, coal is no longer burned to heat homes! And slightly less awesome but still pretty cool, the mushroom weight bug is fixed!

slink

Quote from: canis39 on September 14, 2014, 10:02:21 AM
http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/647-Trade-Price-Overhaul#description

A couple of interesting things with this one, besides the obvious "trade prices get modified". First, coal is no longer burned to heat homes! And slightly less awesome but still pretty cool, the mushroom weight bug is fixed!
I wouldn't call the original situation with mushrooms a bug.  Mushrooms are fragile and low-density.  That is the reason for their higher space consumption.  While I sympathize with the desire to make them smaller, it was hardly a bug to begin with.   ;)

Paeng

Quote from: slink on September 14, 2014, 10:23:27 AMThat is the reason for their higher space consumption.

Yeah, I still fancy the idea that Luke threw in the occasional 'oops', just to keep us on our toes... in a sense I regret that such things are just "modded away" - after all, it can be dealt with and is not a show-stopper. Uncomfortable, yes - because we MUST solve it...  ;D

* Okay, I agree - 4 is a bit high... 2 or 3 should make it a bit less of an irritant... but outright 1? Nah...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

irrelevant

@Paeng This is what bothers me about so many of the mods, things that folks are impatient with working around, or just have not figured out, are modded away, and the game is turned into a vanilla sandbox. You can't really begrudge folks what they want to have to amuse themselves with, but with enough mods, the sort of towns that are real accomplishments unmodded will become just ho-hum unremarkable towns next to the inevitable Etch-A-Sketch 20,000-50,000 pop towns on these parkinglot maps with unlimited resources.

canis39

Are we sure Luke meant to have mushrooms count for 4 weight, and that wasn't a bug? Has this been talked about and I missed it?

irrelevant

At this point I don't think it matters any longer what he intended. We've been playing this game for months with mushrooms @ 4, and we either have figured out how to deal with it, or we haven't and wish to mod it away. Personally I kinda like the small bit of complexity this idiosyncrasy adds.

Paeng

Quote from: irrelevant on September 14, 2014, 06:16:21 PMThis is what bothers me about so many of the mods

Right... but don't let it get to you. That's the way it goes these days...
The good thing is: Your Plugin folder belongs to you;D

Currently I have only like 15 plugs installed, with another two or three lined up for my next 'New' game...

slink

Quote from: canis39 on September 14, 2014, 06:49:09 PM
Are we sure Luke meant to have mushrooms count for 4 weight, and that wasn't a bug? Has this been talked about and I missed it?
Even if it was a typo, it's not a bug.  However, the "4" key is a long way from the "1" key.  I suspect that he really meant it to be "4".  Size and weight are both issues in storage.  It is like loading your car.  You only have so much room, but you cannot fill that space with gold bars.  It would destroy your shock absorbers, and then you would be riding on your gear train.  Ask me how I know, except it was too much camping gear and not any gold bars.

Paeng

Quote from: irrelevant on September 14, 2014, 07:01:44 PMwish to mod it away

Well, someone managed to get the Debug Button into the regular game...
http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/664-Debug-menu

That should satisfy so many... (if it works bug-free)...  :o

irrelevant

Quote from: slink on September 14, 2014, 07:43:16 PM

Even if it was a typo, it's not a bug.  However, the "4" key is a long way from the "1" key.

:D

But if you're a bean counter like me, and have painfully made yourself learn to mouse left-handed so your right hand would be free to use the 10-key, you can easily fatfinger a 4 when you're trying for a 1.

;)

Pelojian

Quote from: Paeng
Well, someone managed to get the Debug Button into the regular game...
http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/664-Debug-menu

That should satisfy so many... (if it works bug-free)...  :o

Well i *could* see it useful for advanced challenges if the savegames would load on unmodded clients.

Someone could setup a village use some of the functions of the debug menu to tweak it. i.e cause some disasters, access statistics without having a town hall etc and then upload the save to use in a pure client.

This thread has made me wonder though would it be possible to make a harder trade mod. (i.e goods from traders valued more and your own goods are valued less) it would kind of make it more costly to trade and punish those that rely too much on trade.

there are other hard mod possibilities (higher profession death rates, higher disease chance/mortality rates/infection range, tools break faster etc)

slink

Quote from: irrelevant on September 14, 2014, 08:08:06 PM
Quote from: slink on September 14, 2014, 07:43:16 PM

Even if it was a typo, it's not a bug.  However, the "4" key is a long way from the "1" key.

:D

But if you're a bean counter like me, and have painfully made yourself learn to mouse left-handed so your right hand would be free to use the 10-key, you can easily fatfinger a 4 when you're trying for a 1.

;)
I guess it depends on the size of your keyboard.  The left-hand side of my "4" key is about 1.75" from the right-hand side of my "1" key.  That is a very fat finger.   ;D

irrelevant

No, I don't use those numbers, I use the 10-key on the right side. You know, the thing that looks like an upside-down telephone? ;)

Pelojian

Quote from: irrelevantNo, I don't use those numbers, I use the 10-key on the right side. You know, the thing that looks like an upside-down telephone?

It's called a numpad and you can use it to input ASCII character codes for keys your keyboard doesn't have(foreign or special characters like a quarter or a half).

• enable numlock
  • hold down alt
  • type out a number on the numpad like 666 and it puts Ü on the screen.

slink

Ah!  That's different.  The "4" and the "1" are right next to each other on the numpad.  That's a straightforward typo.   :)

I did not catch on because I also use the mouse left-handed, being left-handed, and I use the numbers on the top row.  Since they moved the cursor controls off the numpad, the numpad has been moved too far away from the letters for my taste.