News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Lakeland - Story 11

Started by Abandoned, February 24, 2017, 03:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Nice that you continue your series. I just want to ask... From where is that cool canoe? And how you can have this new cc status bar if your game still runs on 1.0.6?

brads3

Abandoned

@Tom Sawyer , sorry I do not know how to add a link but the canoe was made by kid and can be found on page 2 of village blog story #10 Refugee Camp. 

Yes, my game is still 1.0.6, I did not update and as @brads3 asked, it is not steam and did not auto update.  For this map I did use a few new mods made for 1.0.7 and on a picture in chapter 1 you can see the original status box and community mod icon.  Then I saw Necora updated one of the Maritime mods so I downloaded it since I did not use it in the map as yet.  Then I saw I had the new status box so I am thinking it has something to do with that update.  Everything seems to be working ok in the map with the 1.0.7 mods but none of them have items for those new categories in the status box.  I think the game has to be updated to use mods that use those new categories so the totals would appear in the correct categories. I am trying to get use to this bigger status box.

Edit: see 4th picture in chapter 2 and 3rd picture in chapter 3

Abandoned

Chapter 4

In spring of year 4, Tone and Lora arrived from Smallville.  The food we sent helped tremendously but Smallville needed more, the town depended on food from Pumpkin Hollow that they traded seedlings for.  That food supply was now cut off.  Expeditions were still leaving Smallville in order to reduce food consumption, they were taking the extra seeds and livestock. The town botanist did however send us more seedlings for our greenhouse which we had yet to build. Our tiny trading post was completed and stocked with tools, clothes, iron, and stone.  Too bad we couldn't get some of that stone to Smallville for their roads, but another canoe full of food was on its way.  Not knowing the conditions of the river upstream, we only hoped that a riverboat merchant would make it to our port.

In spring of year 5, 9 Smallvillians migrated to Lakeland to help with our food production.  Our building projects were suffering from a lack of logs but we managed to build a few more houses and our first fishery.  One of the new arrivals, Bertus, originally came from down River Junction way so he had some experience as a shore fisher.  It wasn't long before he was bringing up mussels from the lake floor.  What the heck were those?  Did they need cooking?   We badly needed logs and firewood, can't cook without firewood.  Bertus' wife, Ayann, became our 2nd forester.

A 2nd floor was built on their colorful little house.  As much as we liked all the new houses, we liked the old ones just as well especially this one because it reminded us all of Smallville.  It had a nice warm homey glow about it.  But the glow wasn't from a nice warm fire, we were still critically short of firewood.  Building projects needing logs were put on hold and we all took to the woods to cut trees.  It got so bad that winter we feared someone might freeze to death so we built a small cemetery just in case.

We survived the winter but that spring of year 6 we had few warm fires to relieve the damp chill or to dry the wash by.  My wash was still out on the line in the pouring rain when 6 flood survivors arrived.  They were very happy to have found us and we were very happy to have more workers for the new forester station north of town.  The population of Lakeland was now 45, 26 adults, 3 students, and 16 children.

RedKetchup

oh ya, the colorful little house are always lovely :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Chapter 5

My wash was again out on the line in the pouring rain when the first boatman came to our tiny dock in the summer of year 6. He only brought pear seeds which we were not interested in at the time.  We were interested in whatever information he could give us though.  This river was a new fork in the river that came down from the north, Pumpkin Hollow was down the other fork to the west.  He had no idea where this river would take him but chances are he'd end up back at Riverboat Junction or find a tributary with a currant that would take him back around the way he came from so he'd probably be back again.  Might take awhile, he'd see about bring more seeds.  He wasn't looking forward to crossing this great big lake especially in this wind and rain.  He said a trading post right on the upper river might be safer for the river boatmen, they could then stay closer to the east lakeshore when they leave.

We thought a good place for a 2nd trading post was next to the new greenhouse.  We already had a fishing pier and a 2 story house built over there by the river for flood survivors that arrived in the spring of year 7.  Hymani set up a small brewery and began making mead from our wild honey.  Rellary became our botanist. We would have a good supply of trade goods nearby but the trading post construction project was put on hold; as far as our log supply went we were not out of the woods yet.

In spring of year 8, 6 more Smallvillians joined us to help with food production.  Another colorful house was built for a gatherer north of town where we now had 4 foresters.  We also had a small home baker making herb bread with the wild oat flour.  It was delicious and didn't need cooking.   I must say, Henders has never once complained about my cooking.  Of course after all these years of experience I can now make lumpfree cooked oats with honey on top for breakfast.  Our oldest child really likes it before going off to the new school.  And weary traveler, you are not going to believe this, but I was really happy when the river boatman returned with potato seeds. Yes, potato seeds.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

Henders and I were staying closer to home, he took over as brewer down the road and I was gathering the wild honey nearby.  Our daughter was in school now but we had 3 sons still at home and another child on the way, yup, the 5th.  In spring of year 9 the children got to meet their grandparents for the first time, 10 family members arrived from Smallville for a short visit, our mothers among them.  I was more than happy to let them take over the washing and cooking for the short time they were with us.  Henders ate like he was one of those back home who was starving.

The visit from our families ended all too soon, but our diet and theirs continued to improve.  The next canoes were loaded with clams, scallops, and potatoes.  In winter of year 9 the river boatman brought chickens.  A small chicken coop was built but no fence even though our wood supply continue to improve.  Progress on other building projects continued throughout year 10.  The covered bridge between the 2 trading posts provided our laborers with shelter from the rain and shade from the summer sun.  One of the 16 Smallvillians who arrived earlier in the year knew about harvesting seaweed so another fishery was built along the lakeshore.  I don't think Henders liked my seafood and seaweed surprise, he just kind of picked at it and asked what the surprise was.  I smiled sweetly and replied ... mushrooms.

kid1293

Glad to have you here @Abandoned ! You bring life to what I think is a very static
stage of the game. I see it from my perspective, I usually don't play much!

It has been testing/editing/reloading/testing and then a new map.
I'm glad you have brought us these 'real-banished-life' stories!
And also - it gives ideas how to combine certain things and improve others.

Thanks!

Nilla

A pity you don't use Necoras pine mod. It has chanterells! But maybe they are to harmless for your Karriett. ;)

Abandoned

Chapter 7

The following spring, year 11, 10 nomads arrived from the north, we sent them to Smallville where they now had enough food and housing to take them in.  Shortly after we had an outbreak of dysentery, so some worried about their families and friends back in Smallville.  I thought the cause was all that seaweed being harvested and eaten so I wasn't worried, and I didn't have to worry about Henders or the children either, we didn't eat much of it.  A small tent hospital was promptly set up so none of the 13 who became ill died. 

Life and work soon returned to normal, but not for long.  Everyone liked the new lighthouse that was built by the trading post, especially the boatmen who brought wool.  We would have warmer coats that winter.  In spring of year 12, 15 more nomads arrived from the north but did not stay.  An outbreak of scarlet fever followed their departure.  I lost track of the total number of cases but no one perished.

The last 5 patients were recovering when the new trading post was finally completed and another lighthouse was built nearby.  A bridge was planned for next year to reach all the stone on the other side of the river.  An outdoor classroom was also planned.  It's hard to say which building project we liked more, the lighthouse or the gazebo.  It was a quiet respite away from the sickness and strife, and even in the pouring rain it offered a peaceful scenic view, and, like the patients,  it only got better with time.

grammycat

Love your fishing area, wouldn't mind fishing there myself.

Abandoned

Chapter 8

The weather did not get better however, I was again rushing to get diapers off the washline between downpours of rain.  My best friend Ameronica stopped by for a visit and to help out as she often did.  I told her how much I appreciated her help since I had 1 girl and 2 boys in school, 2 boys at home, and, she wasn't going to believe this, but another one on the way.  Well, she said she wasn't surprised, it's not as if we were in dark ages and didn't know why that happened.  It was the house, yes, the house.  The wooden house, the small house and little house, and even the forest house were all built to house  2 or 3 children, this cozy cabin was built especially for a large family.  Oh I see (said the blind carpenter who picked up his hammer and saw), that explained it then.

The rainy weather was very good for one thing, for growing mushrooms.  Not just any mushrooms, very special mushrooms.  I was very glad we had the greenhouse seedling from Smallville to trade for the mushroom seeds when the boatman brought them.  These mushrooms came with a trade-good-back guarantee  to be 100% safe to eat. These were magic mushrooms, when the sun came out after a good rain, the mushrooms sprang up in abundance in the small field I planted.

There had of course been talk years ago about the Smallville wagon merchant being stabbed to death by his wife, but there was never any mention of her reason for doing so.  I guess the men just didn't want to give their wives any ideas.  Henders did not know that I knew that he knew about the mushroom soup.  When his mother was here for the visit she told me as a boy he really like mushrooms, now he barely touched them.  What could I do?

In early summer of year 14, the boatman brought black and white cattle.  Again, thanks to our seedlings we were able to trade for 3 of them.  In no time at all we had fresh milk for the children and a workplace dairy set up for cream.  That winter I had the ingredients I needed for homemade mushroom soup.  When Henders came home for supper one cold snowy winter day, he found the children waiting at the table each with a bowl of soup in front of them.  He sat down in his chair where his bowl awaited him. He looked at the soup, he looked at me, he looked at his 5 hungry children and ... he picked up his spoon and began to eat.  He said it was the best mushroom soup he ever ate.

So weary traveler, after 15 years Lakeland did quite well.  We have an abundance of food and send regular canoe-fulls to Smallville and we even have a lakeside fish and chips BBQ market.  We have a population of 114, 58 adults, 22 students, and 34 young children, all happy and healthy.

The End

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

i wonder what kind of story she will do next.

kid1293

@Abandoned - I bought all the mushrooms the trader had.
I think it's too much to make soup... but I liked the soup!  ;)

@brads3 - Picture taken 2 seconds before the inevitable crash.

To anyone else. Sorry for being off-topic. I'll behave myself.