News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

How to Decide what The Buildings are Made Out Of (Realistic)

Started by KIM16, December 07, 2018, 03:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Quote from: theonlywanderer on December 08, 2018, 02:39:47 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, that was easy to find....   
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mods enabled and load order:

Starting and Map Changing Mods: Call of Nature Soundtrack, Banished UI Maps, Banished UI Town Names, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, RK Vanilla TP, CC Light Rain, Climate-No Snow,  New Maps, Palm Tree Start

Tweak Mods:  Better Fields, Bigger Wheelbarrows, Busy Laborers, Fishing Dock 25%, Hunting & Gathering, Hunting Season, Increased CC, Longer Living Orchards, 1:1 Alternative,  Rock Respawn, Tiny Smoke, Woodcutter +3

Major or Must Have Mods: An Empty Square, Nomad Sign Complete, DS Jetty & Bridges v1, Kid More Houses Vanilla, Kid Old Town, Kid Old Town Ports & Pirates, Kid Tiny, Kid Wood Fort, NMT 3.1Series Canal Set

Supporting Mods:   Coal Furnace, Kid Granny's Park, Kid House Boat, Kid In Transit, Kid Storage Carts, Kid Yard Cover, Old Hunter Hut, RK Carts, RK Pigs as Livestock, Sample White Chicken, Smuggler Cave, Storage Crates

Great group of mods, thanks modders.   :)  They worked well together and I enjoyed them a great deal.  It was a fun map and story to do.  Easy to find here:

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2622.0

theonlywanderer

Glad  ;) you see the humor  :D in it, Abandoned  :P... I sure did   ;D ;D ;D ;D

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

Tom Sawyer

Nice list, I vote for osb-boards and toilets.^^ Don't like it? Just use debug or go vanilla.. no?

We call that eat or die, right now I learned My way or the Highway. I like it, added to my american phrase collection. ;D

KIM16

Hahaha but I have more suggestions for food chains and systems for balancing the numbers :p hopefully the modders can get inspired by them at least. I  am sure one day there will be a game that adds what banished is missing. I have my eye on the game Ancient Cities. There is also a fun game called one hour one life about building a civilazation but its online. :)

Tom Sawyer

We would like to see your thoughts about food chains and balancing. Always nice to get inspired. There is some potential for commotion as well but this board can survive that. Maybe in a new thread to not confuse building materials.

theonlywanderer

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 09, 2018, 12:55:10 AM
I learned My way or the Highway. I like it, added to my american phrase collection. ;D

You actually learned that a long time ago when you blocked debug from working with The North 6.

Seems "my way or the highway" is acceptable when it's your way, huh?

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 09, 2018, 12:55:10 AM
Debug options please not in this mod. It destroys so much of the game

Tom Sawyer

Haha that's well countered. But it's only in this mod which is focused on survival and where the challenge is more real if debug is no option. I would not expect it as a unified standard thing for all mods. To use that wording, it's just one of several coexisting directions. A mod with as much as complexity and many items as possible including debug tools for free scenery design like Mega Mod is also fine and another direction. As long as it respects the opposite.

angainor88

Well, I like both some complexity (lumber, glass, etc.) but also I like playing vanilla+ (I just like having a lot of different, pretty houses). But as a modder, I would have to release two versions of every mod, one for vanilla players, and one for unified building materials. I also don't have plans (right now)  to add any buildings that make the advanced building materials, so people would have to download someone else' mod that adds those.

I think all styles of play are fine, but I'm probably not going to be making a unified mod like Red's *shrugs*

brads3

how long do we want the inventory?? note 2 comp screens long of 6 TH's each.142 mods. adding just the CC J woud mean another full screen at least. hats off to the modders as i proudly state there are ony 2 blank tags. without KID's many TH's could i even do this at all??

elemental

Quote from: brads3 on December 10, 2018, 08:33:26 AM
how long do we want the inventory?? note 2 comp screens long of 6 TH's each.142 mods. adding just the CC J woud mean another full screen at least.

However long it ends up being is my answer.

How often do you have every single item active in your game? They only show up in your town hall list if you import them or make them. So in how many of your games is the size of the town hall list a genuine concern?

Apart from the fact that you will rarely if ever have the full list of items showing in that menu, it's an alphabetical list. It really isn't very difficult to find something in it when you want to check stock levels.

elemental

Quote from: angainor88 on December 10, 2018, 07:19:30 AM
Well, I like both some complexity (lumber, glass, etc.) but also I like playing vanilla+ (I just like having a lot of different, pretty houses). But as a modder, I would have to release two versions of every mod, one for vanilla players, and one for unified building materials. I also don't have plans (right now)  to add any buildings that make the advanced building materials, so people would have to download someone else' mod that adds those.

I think all styles of play are fine, but I'm probably not going to be making a unified mod like Red's *shrugs*

You only have to make two versions of your mod if you want to make two versions of it. It's your mod, you decide how you want it to be.  :)

Tom Sawyer

Sorry that the thread has wandered off @KIM16. I just voted for taking it as inspiration and not for unified rules or standards. As I said I like this list and back to the topic, we could add the following realistic materials I came across in my current work in progress and where it is to decide if and how to add it as a managed resource. I would like it to be discussed like all others too.

Turf or Peat to build turf houses and sod roofs:

Tar for wooden constructions and shipbuilding:

Copper or Copper Sheets for roofs of special buildings:

brads3

ok,but how specific do we want to break it down to? or would a generic term fit and work better? for turf we have thatch or grass. we also do use copper just not specifically roof sheets.CC uses tin and pipes also. where we use logs now can become specific to lumber then sizes,treated or not,plywood,doors,etc.general terms might work better.

remember too that for each item a modder creates,they have to make a chain of buildings to make that item and then a city worth of buildings that needs that item for building.to create plaster might be just 1 or 2 buildings to process it.but now you need a city set of buildings that require that material. it would become a huge project.

in CC, a player places abuilding and reaizes they need several different materials to buid it.some of the chains to produce the materials is 5 buildings long plus miners and storage.some of the production buidings require different materials to build them. then after you have enough materials to build the buiding you wanted,you have excess materials.plus all these workers need to have houses and supplies.players who don't play CC often can be overwhelmed.a player who picks the game up to play for an hour quickly realizes that 1 house might take him a week of playing and working just to see a finsihed building.

not saying it is right or wrong. think many of the arguements  come from forcing everyone and all modders to change. there should be room here for both sides. no need to force ideas onto anyone.

theonlywanderer

Quote from: brads3 on December 11, 2018, 06:38:30 AM
1 house might take him a week of playing and working just to see a finished building.

Please tell me you are exaggerating here? 

Tom Sawyer

Yes, it's a main question how specific it should be and not always easy to answer. In the end, every author has to make a decision for his mod. What I also came across are wooden shingles. In a description of a model I'm working on it's written that it was built of 160 oak trunks and 5000 hand crafted shingles. Could be exciting for big achievement buildings like the pagan temple instead of just dumping endless logs at the building site. I remember, Necora already wrote it somewhere and related to clay tiles it would be consistent to make also wooden shingles. At least interesting for modders who don't stay with generic wood anymore. Question is where to produce it? In sawmills or by a woodcarver?

Shingles made from wood and as roofing for old buildings