News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Randomized Terrain On New Game Startup

Started by MarkAnthony, June 18, 2019, 12:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAnthony

Hi.  :)

I got the day off today and decided to start my second attempt at playing Banished. I'll confess, I didn't do a forum search to see if this question has been asked before so please forgive me this faux pas.

When I was in the New Game window I saw the randomize button for the town name and the seed number. I know other mods add different and sometimes numerous terrains and climates and start conditions to what's available in vanilla Banished.

My question is, has anyone made or considered making a mod that edits the New Game window so that terrain, climate and starting conditions could be randomized as well? I think that'd be pretty neat!  8) :P  I can see the fun in it, I can even imagine myself sometimes saying, "Sweeet!" or more likely quite often (because I am new to Banished) saying, "DOH! That's gonna be a hard one!"   ??? :-\ :'(  Hehe.

I would love it and truly appreciate it even if one of you awesome modders here would take up that idea when you have time to spare. What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

~MarkAnthony

EDIT: The general idea would be that a randomize button would be placed next to terrain, climate and starting conditions in the same way vanilla Banished places them next to the town name and seed number fields. But I would also like to see an additional randomize button that randomizes all three of them at once too. So we can either randomize them individually or all at once.

But though I didn't mention it at all above, I do not think it would be wise to randomize the map size, at all! I imagine there are players who have no interest at all in small or tiny maps; but even more so I imagine (depending on computer capabilities and weight of all the mods people play with) that large, very large etc,. would be unplayable for most people.  /shrug
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

RedKetchup

i am very sorry Mark, but we cannot "invent" new "rng" buttons. the way everything is setup to how to make a main menu is hidden and made as code by the programmer instead of data.

it would be cool to have a total random all setting button... but we cant modify the game itself
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

MarkAnthony

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 18, 2019, 12:36:59 PM
i am very sorry Mark, but we cannot "invent" new "rng" buttons. the way everything is setup to how to make a main menu is hidden and made as code by the programmer instead of data.

it would be cool to have a total random all setting button... but we cant modify the game itself

Aww! :( That thought briefly popped into my head after posting this idea.

First it would have explained why I never found such a mod to begin with; secondly I still had hopes it could be done since modders can add different terrains, climates and starting conditions that appear in the drop-down menus on the New Game window and also because there is a mod that alters the width of the MODS window - both the mods list and the mods to download via Steam.

Oh well, thanks for the reply @RedKetchup . I also kind of hoped I'd impress you all with coming up with an idea that no one has ever thought of before LOL my own "Eureka" moment. I'd have become famous! Hehe :P

By the way @RedKetchup I posted a comment on your RK Editor Choice 1.3.1 Lite mod page. I hope you will reply there too, I'm looking forward to the possibility of you assisting me.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

MarkAnthony