News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod Idea: Notre Dame Cathedral

Started by MarkJerue, April 15, 2019, 03:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJerue

Simply due to the tragic fire that's engulfed Notre Dame today (thankfully it seems the two towers will be saved, and most of the artwork!), being able to build Notre Dame in Banished would be grand. We won't rebuild it tomorrow, but perhaps we can rebuild it in Banished until it's rebuilt in Paris! 

Abandoned

A truly tragic event in Paris today.  Thank God the historical cathedral is not a total loss and there were no injuries or loss of life.

josito

Jinxiewinxie

I found a 3d model for sketchup if anyone uses that: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/afd78307d96242f159aed5538305c915/Notre-Dame-de-Paris?hl=en

I don't really know how to convert things from sketchup to blender but I'd give it a shot if someone found a blender model or .obj or .fbx that I can just import =D

RedKetchup

yeah sketchup 2017 or 2018. my 3dsmax can convert only 2016 because it is old a bit, a 2016 version.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Dolbadarn

This is a great idea! Imagine what the cost of construction for Bannies would be, lots of stone, wood and build time!

I'm running 3DS Max 2018 and I've just tried importing both the 2017 & 2018 Sketchup formats but it can't process either.
Maybe Blender can open it for conversion? Not sure as I have limited experience of Blender and Sketchup.

kid1293

@Dolbadarn - Sketchup has a free version. Use that and export model to .dae format. (Collada)
Should be possible to import in 3DMax.

Dolbadarn

Thanks Kid, following your advice I got the model into Max. The polycount is huge and it is constructed from many smaller meshes grouped as children under a dummy, each with its own texture file. It will need a lot of refinement to make it in game.  :(

RedKetchup

i know thats a lot of work... i would personally would try to see if it can be better to redo it without all the details that eat hugely the amount of polygons. i did that with abandonned church model i found. i didnt touched the mighty cathedral tough, i let it as i got it.

building process meshes can be very hard too.

but i am not working on this.... was just saying...
hehe

PS.: you can also use the option Pro Optimizer for each part of the cathedral with different % numbers and try to get max without clear changes depending each part what it can give you .... make sure you always check the "Keep Textures" checkbox.

Dolbadarn

Update folks: Model is optimized and now in game, there are a couple of stretching imperfections with the texturing but from a distance these don't draw the eyes. I have tried to push the limits with modeled detail vs textured detail. I have used a 4096x4096 to squeeze in as much brickwork detail as possible. I am considering ditching the AO texture as it washes out the diffuse texture a lot also causing the non-lit side to look a touch too dark. As the Sun stays fixed in Banished one side will always be in the dark depending on the orientation you build it.

The model has been downscaled to 40% to fit the game and has a footprint of 36x17 Banished tiles.

Some questions for all you Bannie lovers:

1. Does the scaling look like it fits the game?
2. How many Priests should be set to work here 1, 2, 3 maybe?
3. I have set the capacity to 500 Bannie worshipers, does this seem about right for a building this size?
4. What should the build cost be, X wood, X stone, X Iron Ore and X labour?

Please leave your thoughts (good or bad) in the comments tyvm! Pics follow...

RedKetchup

Woah !

THATS MAJESTIC !!!!
you done an awesome work ! believe me, i know what this thing can be.

probable people will use it in same map with the Majestic Cathedral.

so maybe scale it to fit in proportions ?
here the template. and if in game you want to see the difference, load RKEC and use debug to put them side by side.
it also can be totally normal one can be bigger than the other... church sizes can vary.

Gatherer

Quote from: Dolbadarn on April 28, 2019, 10:44:26 AM
Some questions for all you Bannie lovers:

1. Does the scaling look like it fits the game?
2. How many Priests should be set to work here 1, 2, 3 maybe?
3. I have set the capacity to 500 Bannie worshipers, does this seem about right for a building this size?
4. What should the build cost be, X wood, X stone, X Iron Ore and X labour?

Please leave your thoughts (good or bad) in the comments tyvm! Pics follow...

1. Perhaps down by another 10-20% Need to see comparison in size with the RK Cathedral.
2. At least 3.
3. At least 800.
4. Please, please, please offer two versions. One normal cost somewhere in line with the RK Cathedral and another very expensive (6000 stone, 3000 lumber, 2000 bricks, 1500 logs, 600 glass and 100 thousand work units with 6 builders max).
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

moonbelf

Kimbolton

This looks fantastic!

QuoteGatherer:

1. Perhaps down by another 10-20% Need to see comparison in size with the RK Cathedral.

Definitely agree, You want the size right so it looks good and realistic in game.

Thanks for your work on this.  :)