News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Red's new Work In Progress (2) thread

Started by RedKetchup, July 02, 2018, 04:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

i think flora need to be below RK Ed. it modifies the natural resource trees to make spawn flora flowers, i dont modify it , i think. so below RK it still works and while below it doesnt prevent my things to do their magic.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

huyle

@RedKetchup, hello RK, can you make a flatter lake map? or a plain map with bigger lake. Thank you  :-*

RedKetchup

Quote from: huyle on July 27, 2018, 12:44:08 AM
@RedKetchup, hello RK, can you make a flatter lake map? or a plain map with bigger lake. Thank you  :-*

the lake maps have too many hills ?

huyle

@RedKetchup not really, actually i like the plain map with bigger lake, sometimes the lake map has a tiny hill on which i cant build house or a tunnel

brads3

did you experiment with the terraform tools? there are tols under the clear tools to flatten earth. be careful near water as it will flattena and square the ground.they do help so you can build on shorelines.

huyle

that tool is only useful in a small area, when i use it to flatten a hill, it looks a little bit distorted and it also makes me feel like cheating

rkelly17

Quote from: huyle on July 27, 2018, 10:35:16 AM
that tool is only useful in a small area, when i use it to flatten a hill, it looks a little bit distorted and it also makes me feel like cheating

It does look a bit odd if the hill/mountain has mountain texture on it, since the texture doesn't change after it flattens. But I don't consider it cheating. The Bannies all have tools and they know how to dig and move dirt around. The game itself will do a bit of flattening for roads and building close to hills. I assume that, if they want to farm an area, they have the know-how and desire to flatten small hills. I also use the flatten tool to create a straight shoreline in a lake if I want to build whaling ships and other dock buildings. Since that often requires building one of Red's Medieval Canals to reach the lake, it makes sense that they would use the dirt from digging the canal to fill in the shoreline. The fill area is truly ugly, but that is what ghost textures are for, right?  ;)

RedKetchup

if you are playing with the vanilla grass color... yeah it looks very bad when you flat an hill or a mountain. but if you play with Peaks' colors, you wont see any difference cause the mountain .png and the grass.png are exactly the same

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 27, 2018, 01:42:13 PM
if you are playing with the vanilla grass color... yeah it looks very bad when you flat an hill or a mountain. but if you play with Peaks' colors, you wont see any difference cause the mountain .png and the grass.png are exactly the same

Red, I'm assuming that the game makes a decision which (mountain.png or grass.png) to use when the map is first generated and that the choice is permanent for that map. Right? Do you know what criteria the game uses to make the decision? Given that it is possible to mod map generation, is the code for which .png to use accessible to modders?

Goblin Girl

I agree with @rkelly17 that using the terraform tools is not cheating.  Even ancient peoples were able to transform their environment.  And unless you're playing on a small map, it's not like you're going to run out of space if you don't terraform.  Well, maybe if you have an ultra powerful PC you could grow your town that large.  But I can't play much past 500 population without problems, so for me it's just an aesthetic choice.  I ask myself if my town looks better with that mountain/stream/lake/hummock where it is, or not.

RedKetchup

the code is hidden and the game use the mountain.png in the slops of mountain, and then reuse the grass.png at the very top, the flat of the mountain.

elemental

It's a pity the game only has one ground level. Roads going up hill and buildings on mountains/hills would be great.

I wonder if there will ever be a Banished V2?

RedKetchup

Quote from: elemental on July 28, 2018, 05:41:20 PM
It's a pity the game only has one ground level. Roads going up hill and buildings on mountains/hills would be great.

I wonder if there will ever be a Banished V2?

i doubt he will ever make another game :P

Goblin Girl

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 28, 2018, 06:02:29 PM
i doubt he will ever make another game :P
I think he made so much money off this one that he doesn't have to.  He might dabble, but I doubt he'll be motivated to work as hard as one must to create a game from scratch.

RedKetchup

this fall i ll ask him again about what he is doing :P and remember him again he didnt posted anything of his work since more than a year ^^