News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Decorative plants

Started by Voeille, May 21, 2018, 01:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voeille

@RedKetchup
That size is realistic comparing it with the citizen next to it, but I think I'd like it a bit bigger. I was thinking about two size variants for it, one small (bit a bit larger than yours), and one big, comparable to CC bushes with respect to width. Is one of these (FBX and OBJ) models fine? Those are versions before I edited it for Banished. For all I remember, OBJ is exported straight from a format used for The Sims 2 (it's a custom one, not one of the standard 3D formats), and it has different normals. It was made in Milkshape 3D, the UV map was made using UV Mapper and adjusted in Milkshape. To make the fern look properly in Cities Skylines, I had to export from the Sims format to OBJ, import that to Blender, fix normals, and then export it as FBX.

@Tom Sawyer
Thanks for the bench file, I'll look at it and I hope I can stop the game for dividing by 0.

RedKetchup

your obj file is a lot better, not corrupted with all strange fbx settings that can comes from blender.
it is just a little too big (maybe 60-70% would be good)

and yeah 4-5 different models would be good as alternate (some differents... some placed different so they dont all fall in the exact center of the tile)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Voeille

That does look a lot better indeed, so I think I'll just use the OBJ and scale it properly.

I used that Billboard material thing you mentioned before (it was in the files I sent), does it make the plants sort of wave like trees, or is it just for the autumn colours?

RedKetchup

Quote from: Voeille on May 22, 2018, 07:47:31 AM
That does look a lot better indeed, so I think I'll just use the OBJ and scale it properly.
indeed
maybe you will have to import the OBJ. scale it properly. export to another name.OBJ and go back import back the new.OBJ. thats what i do with all my scaling so the real world coords get updated.

Quote from: Voeille on May 22, 2018, 07:47:31 AM
I used that Billboard material thing you mentioned before (it was in the files I sent), does it make the plants sort of wave like trees, or is it just for the autumn colours?
BillboardMaterial.rsc make swing with the wind, change color in autumn, disappear in winter

BillboardEvergreenMaterial.rsc the other option will make it swing with the wind but wont change color and wont disappear in winter

RedKetchup

btw, if you think you see too much "white pixels" in game... this is because your alpha .png has some ghosted half pixels in it.

i ve checked you png. i selected all your pixels with the fast select tool and then i intervene the selection (to select everything but your pixels) and then i painted everything in green.
in the screenshot you will see some ghost pixels.

Voeille

Yeah I know I about the pixels, I should've used the .dds file with alpha channel I have, that's what I did for Sims (CSL has separate files for alpha and diffuse), but I wasn't sure if Banished can understand .dds. However, when I was messing around with my texture replacement I tried .dds and and it compiled and worked in the game just fine.

I'll try to fix the model now, try .dds (but smaller, not 512x1024), and post the results. I will have to use Blender for FBX, so hopefully it won't be corrupted again.

Edit: I forgot to ask, does Banished support any kind of normal maps? I know a normal map is used for water (I tried to replace it but the one I had didn't look good), but what about models? I don't think I've seen it on any vanilla models though.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Voeille on May 22, 2018, 08:30:44 AM
I will have to use Blender for FBX, so hopefully it won't be corrupted again.

i dunno. i say "corrupted" this is because my 3dsMax doesnt like the .fbx made with Blender, some time it catch some... bacteries lol that mess up all my 3dsMax settings. the only way i can get rid of those "bacteries" is by wiping all my settings files and force the program to setup a new batch of settings by default.

Quote from: Voeille on May 22, 2018, 08:30:44 AM
Edit: I forgot to ask, does Banished support any kind of normal maps? I know a normal map is used for water (I tried to replace it but the one I had didn't look good), but what about models? I don't think I've seen it on any vanilla models though.

no the game doesnt handle the other maps like bumping... etc the only one it accept is the diffuse one.
supposely it can but supposely it would be very complicated.

Voeille

OK this is quite strange. Now the model isn't huge and with weird shape, and I can click and place it without dividing by 0 (yay!), but I can't see it, and the little tooltip is always at the top of the screen instead of following my mouse.

Files

kid1293

You have a problem with points
I recognize it from earlier when I had a building that way.

I always scale to 0.01 to avoid such problems.
I use Blender and scale around zero. NO apply. And save to fbx.

Voeille

I copied points from the apiary building, and deleted all of them except build_001. Do I need more? Or less? There isn't going to be any interaction with the plant, not even putting resources in as it required none.

To scale it, I imported the apiary building and resized the fern appropriately, I didn't input any numbers anywhere. I'm quite unfamiliar with Blender, I've only used it to export FBX for CSL.

Voeille

I tried again, I imported the OBJ, exported as FBX without changes, imported the FBX with 0.01 scale, added points (but without the build_001), and it sort of worked :) Now I need to rotate it so it isn't upside-down.

kid1293

Hey! You will make it!
It is maybe tedious but it is an amazing feeling when things fall into place.

Good work! :)

RedKetchup

yeah you need to give yourself a good month or 2 for learning the 3D process of Banished
but good job!

Voeille

Thanks! I rotated it (which took a few tries, for some reason it needs to be sideways to look normally, which I suppose is because the original OBJ is sideways), but there are other issues (of course ;)). Despite using the Billboard material, it doesn't change colour or vanish, and doesn't have that wave animation like trees. Also, for some reason it gets brighter during the rain and darker with sunny weather.

Files

Voeille

I fixed the lighting, it was a problem with normals like in Cities Skylines. It looks like other games don't like normals from Milkshape like in The Sims 2.

So, this is how it looks now:

So the problem that remains is that Billboard material. Also, how and where do I tell it what part of the model should be affected? For the ferns it's the whole plant, but for a tree the trunk should stay untouched. Do I need more groups than just 'mesh'?