News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Irrelevant: Beanblossom - no markets

Started by irrelevant, September 14, 2015, 07:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Year 50

The new TP (number 6) on the landlocked lake is about to get its first visit from a merchant boat, thanks to the newly-built NMT canal. Thanks @RedKetchup!

irrelevant

New TP center, TP number 5, on the stream north of the original four-TP settlement.

irrelevant

So at this point there are a couple of interesting things:

In the new TP 5 village, I have for the first time on this map built an apiary, a flour mill, and a bakery making pecan pies. This was just within the past couple of years. TP 5 village is on the far northern end of Beanblossom, but I have seen small quantities of flour, honey, and pies showing up in barns (and of course subsequently in houses) all over the map, even on the extreme southeastern and southwestern frontiers. This is something I certainly would not have expected to find.

Also, I've been thinking about the number of houses vs. the number of families as shown in the town hall overview panel. The perennial question is, do you build houses to keep pace with the number of families, or not? And if you build more houses than families, such that some of the families split up, are there negative consequences?

Now mostly the consensus has been that splitting up families has no discernible impact on pop expansion, and I think that this is correct, but there is another effect that has not been noted in this context. That effect is the formation of new families that include a student as one of the primaries. This is not bad in itself, however it can lead to delaying graduation by the new student-homemaker. This is because the student still attends the school that (s)he originally was assigned to at age 10. However, the new home (s)he moves into can be anywhere on the map, and in the case of a spread out town such as Beanblossom (or really just about any town that has a pop of more than just a couple hundred), this can mean that the student now has a very long walk to school. This will delay graduation, possibly adding several more years to the time the student spends in school, depending on the student-homemaker's age and how far (s)he now must walk to school.

Note that this can happen even if there are fewer houses than families, but the nearer the two numbers, the more likely it is to happen. If there are more houses than families, it is essentially 100% likely to happen. Whether this is a bad thing depends on your laborer situation. If you already have lots of laborers, it probably doesn't matter. But if you are stretched thin, and/or if you are trying to expand your pop as quickly as possible, it will slow you down both ways.

This can be counteracted by the schoolhouse shuffle that we hit on in the Flowerchild Commune challenge. That is, build enough "spare" schools to take all your students, assign teachers to these schools, shut down all the other schools, let the game run long enough that all the students get reassigned to theses schools. Then reactivate the "real" schools, shut down the spare schools, and now all the students once again are attending the school nearest to where they live. This needs to be done 2-3 times a year if you regularly are forming new households with student homemakers.

irrelevant

Year 54 - another landlocked lake opened up for trade.

irrelevant

Year 57

Nothing terribly important going on here, just spreading out bit by bit, and adding housing to existing areas. Gatherers and foresters still running with 1-2 workers each so as not to clog up storage. Have to keep an eye on most every barn to make sure things don't get out of hand either one way or the other.

Still considerable room available to expand along the river in both directions.

irrelevant

Year 62

So I'm still at it here, just not getting as much screen time as I want.

Development is very tedious, markets make everything run so smoothly, doing without them you have to think much harder about every build. Can I have more houses here, do I need another barn, should I set up a new mill/apiary/baker group?

Pangaea

Looks like it's going pretty well so far, closing in on 1000 buannies.

Nilla

Impressive: still 5 harts without markets.

irrelevant

@Nilla thanks; I've found that all you really need is a gatherer, a hunter, a small wheatfield, a forester, and maybe a chopper, and of course a barn next to every little clump of houses. People sweat over taking production away from forester and gatherer by building stuff in the circle, houses and barns, but it doesn't really matter. That is playing the min/max game (getting the largest return from the smallest investment), and it simply is not necessary. You just need to be producing some of everything, it doesn't matter if it is not tip-top efficient.

@Pangaea thanks for reading. Pop isn't the goal, but it certainly is creeping up! No idea how far I will take this; it's a lot more work than a regular town.

@kralyerg  Just added some Mini-Foresters in an odd little spot not suited for a regular forester; they're great!

Nilla

These mini foresters don't produce bad. I will try them too, when I'm done with my present game.

irrelevant

Year 70 - pop 1149

Very tedious and boring. The hardest part of this town is figuring out where to build things. Markets are such a crutch for me; you put one down, and everything else just falls into place around it. Without markets to serve as anchors and focal points, it is so hard to decide what to put where. But now that I have figured out how to organize the logistics, I am not noticing any shortages of anything anywhere.

Nilla

I can understand that it's getting boring, just reproduce the same thing over and over again. I think this game would have been much more rewarding on a small map. It would have been enough space to figure out how to make it and you would have come to the limit, where it's getting interesting again much sooner.

How long will you play this game?

irrelevant

@Nilla I think both the tedium and the difficulty have a common root. I have too many TPs.

Every time I place a TP, I also build a tavern and a bakery/apiary/mill to provide trade goods. These then require additional barns to store purchased fruit, nuts, honey, and wheat. It is deciding where to build all this stuff that is giving me headaches. That, and doing the trading (still manual at this point). I currently have (I think) ten TPs, with another one under construction.

I think what I'll do is tear a couple of these TPs down, and the related ale/pie production infrastructure. Stop building TPs, and go back to just building forest villages to cover the rest of the map; I find that setting these up is more enjoyable than setting up the TP towns. Then increase pop until things start getting tight. I'm interested in seeing how far "inland" things like honey, pies, and carbon steel tools get distributed in the absence of markets. I have found these items in surprising places, far from anyplace where they were being produced/purchased.

At the same time I need to get autotrading set up at the remaining TPs so I don't have to stop every 4-5 months to deal with it. I hate trading!  >:(

Maybe try to get to the point where I can auto-run overnight.  ;)

irrelevant

On the other hand, I may start a new town instead. Last night I got an idea for a tough challenge for myself. ;)

Gatherer

Quote from: irrelevant on November 03, 2015, 08:33:25 AM
@Nilla I'm interested in seeing how far "inland" things like honey, pies, and carbon steel tools get distributed in the absence of markets. I have found these items in surprising places, far from anyplace where they were being produced/purchased.
In what quantities do these items appear? Could it be it is the builders dropping them in your barns when they need their hands free for transporting material for building?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.