News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

DS Small Village v1.1

Started by Discrepancy, September 16, 2016, 06:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOtherMicheal

Quote from: elemental on December 04, 2016, 07:42:15 PM
I've been testing DSSV v2 with CC (CC loaded first). One thing to be aware of is that boats won't pass under Discrepancy's bridges if CC is above DSSV. The other thing is - and this is more important - if you build a Discrepancy bridge at a point on the map that the boats NEED to pass through (for example close to where they enter or leave the map) then the boats will come and they will pass under his bridges, but they won't stop at trade ports. But you can use these bridges with CC loaded first, you just need to be careful where you put them. Hopefully that will get fixed at some point.
Ahh, very interesting and important too. I remember with DSSV version 1, the traders could pass under some of Discrepancy's bridges (or all of them? I don't remember).

Discrepancy

Thanks for the feedback :) always appreciated.

Quote from: TheOtherMicheal on December 04, 2016, 06:28:43 PM
I've given the Ver.2 Beta a very quick run late last night. It really wasn't long enough to test much of anything let alone everything but the most obvious thing that came out is that if you load the SmallVillage Ver.2 (SV2) mod and also Colonial Charter (CC) with SV2 above CC and both mods set as active then try to start a game, the load screen will stall and hang indefinitely.

I figured that the SV2 starting conditions would not mix with the CC starting conditions but I wanted to test it anyway. I was actually expecting a CTD but instead it just stalled, I think I gave it about 15 minutes before using Windows Task Manager to shut down Banished. It may have eventually generated a map but I was impatient and didn't want to wait around all night!
Did you happen to choose a Very Large terrain size?
if so, I should have mentioned that none of my maps have that larger terrain, it is only the vanilla sizes: small, medium, large
I confess that I haven't tested this with CC alone, I did test with Mega Mod and it worked fine though...

Glad you like the jetty and bridge pieces, still a work in progress with this mod... final v2 is coming slowly, so expect more beta releases to come.

Quote from: elemental on December 04, 2016, 07:42:15 PM
I've been testing DSSV v2 with CC (CC loaded first). One thing to be aware of is that boats won't pass under Discrepancy's bridges if CC is above DSSV. The other thing is - and this is more important - if you build a Discrepancy bridge at a point on the map that the boats NEED to pass through (for example close to where they enter or leave the map) then the boats will come and they will pass under his bridges, but they won't stop at trade ports. But you can use these bridges with CC loaded first, you just need to be careful where you put them. Hopefully that will get fixed at some point.

This seems to be important points, my bridges should be used with caution.
This is now my main priority to sort out.

I am focusing on fixing all issues with the current beta before I add anymore content.

reported bugs/issues with DSSV v2beta9:
- Trader Boats not stopping at port when using jetty bridges with some other mods loaded (being investigated)
- Trading Boat not landing correctly at Jetty General Merchant (fixed)
- Jetty traders limited to being built on water (fixed - can be built further inland)
- Carrots dying before harvest starts (fixed)
- Jetty General Merchant's trading list (being investigated)
- Stone Bridge - Pieces not lining up correctly, making a black line visible in snow (fixed)
- Stone Bridge - Citizens jumping off the edge, not using ramps correctly (fixed - ramp now sits on a 4x6 footprint with the extra outer tiles added being impassable)
- Various UI boxes need adjusting for building names (fixed)
- Citizens falling through jetty while traveling to/from the upper level stairs (fixed)
- Jetty Fishmonger building model edit (on hold)
- Jetty Fishmonger production output/input (being investigated)
- Jetty Fishmonger UI not showing inventory (fixed)
- New Fish type values and production numbers (being investigated)
- Investigate/alter building capacities (part fixed - )
(Goods Market is now 12000cap, Food Market is 9000cap, Small Barn is 1500cap, School can now have 26 students (unlucky teacher))
- Name change again to carrots (fixed - shorter name, earlier variety: Horn Carrots)
- Jetty Fruit & Veg market is incorrectly storing protein (fixed)
- Citizens are using the Village Tailors rear door for travel (fixed - rear door of tailor is now decorative only)
- Remove decal footprints visible with Jetties and Bridges (fixed - all jetty and bridge footprints are transparent)
- Edits to terrains: Lake, Plain with Lake, Plane no Lake (being investigated)
- Edits to climates: Cool Temperate, Extreme (being investigated)
- Some of the fishing spots radius' are too small (being investigated)
- Diagonal/Angled pieces... lots of issues (being ignored investigated)
:)        ...there is likely to be many more

TheOtherMicheal

To confirm, yes I did use it with [CC] Very Large terrain size.
When I get the chance I'll experiment with smaller map sizes - I tend to be greedy and want the largest maps I can get.

Discrepancy

Quote from: TheOtherMicheal on December 05, 2016, 05:40:56 AM
To confirm, yes I did use it with [CC] Very Large terrain size.
When I get the chance I'll experiment with smaller map sizes - I tend to be greedy and want the largest maps I can get.

Yes, as I haven't added a larger map size, the Very Large map choice is not compatible, that is the reason why it would have not loaded and stayed on black screen.

I know i said no more content until bugs are solved, but I've made this:

it is slow going... and I still have all the build models for the stone bridge to make, lots of things planned for this set now :) a mod in itself.

kid1293

WHy not separate Small Village from something like Jetties & Bridges?

elemental

Bridge dead-ends look good. Now everyone will be wondering why you have built dead-end bridges.

I'd say this is moving along at a surprisingly fast pace. Definitely not slow.

Discrepancy

Quote from: kid1293 on December 07, 2016, 03:43:29 AM
WHy not separate Small Village from something like Jetties & Bridges?
I might just do that :) it is perhaps getting too big. There is nothing that really ties them together... we will see.

Quote from: elemental on December 07, 2016, 01:48:46 PM
Bridge dead-ends look good. Now everyone will be wondering why you have built dead-end bridges.
;)

QuoteI'd say this is moving along at a surprisingly fast pace. Definitely not slow.
Yes, with a little spare time, inspiration and motivation.
here is what will be the DSSV Town Hall:

elemental

No more new content, he said...  ;D

But I know that creativity and inspiration will come when they come, and not necessarily when you want them to.

I would love to see a villagey town hall. I dislike the vanilla one (that pointy tower roof!) and the CC versions are way too fancy for a small town.

Discrepancy

I put chimneys on the model, but if it's to be a Town Hall the smoke points won't work...

I'm not sure the chimneys actually match the building the more I look at the model...

these chimneys look better:

kid1293

That last building fits a hostel!

elemental

Maybe the lower level should be made of stone. I'm not saying it looks bad the way it is (not at all), just that some stone might make it look more important and official. It might help balance the chimneys, too. And yeah, it does look like it could be a hostel. So maybe just leave it as is and start again?

Nilla

I downloaded you beta version yesterday and tried some of your harder options. I must say: IT IS REALLY TOUGH! If you don't use any other mods, I would say, some of the possible combinations of starting conditions and climates are impossible. (Just to be clear; I don't mind at all) :)

First I found a "bug". The description says that the start "Stranded" has a small amount of supply but in the game, they have nothing. I would rather like them to have a little supply, because this way, it's a bit too much like the "Jack and Jill" (I haven't dared to try that ultimate challenge yet and this version of "stranded" in fact is a "Jack and Jll-lite" ;D ). If the amount of supply written on the menu is what you planned, I would suggest one small change; If there's only one tool, one of the initial adults will be "tool less" from the start. I find it hard enough, if they would have one tool each.

Like the first time I tried the "impossible" Nordic start, I killed several brave stranded people, before I finally made a start. Maybe I should make a separate blog of my efforts. I haven't get far yet, but I guess your more "tormenting" options will keep me busy for a while! ;)

elemental

I'd like to request mirror image versions of these two houses. I like to build them next to your taller houses. They are a nice way to finish off a row but with the way their roofs are positioned they only work on one end of the row. So if you could mirror-image them that would be great.  :)

How about a new set of textures for them too. A darker thatch and wooden frame, maybe? Not right now, but sometime in the future? They're nice as they are but more colour options is always a good thing.  :)

brads3

i agree with you elemental. when i 1st saw tried these in game ,i thought that is how they were suppose to be. where you could make a row of them.how bout a horizontal barnwood style to the walls?

Discrepancy

okay, okay :) I love more ideas! sure, I'll make mirrored variants  :-X

much of below was posted on Nilla's  'Altenbeltsville' village blog post:

I must apologize as I will be a little absent from the forums for the next week. I might be able to read, but not answer. But don't take that as if I'm not interested in the feedback, because I am. :)
I'm not sure when my internet will be changed over, this could be a bonus as I'll be able to focus on modding a little when I'm on the computer.

First off, this is going to be a long post...

What's next?

I might lower the variety of fish, or offer alternate download versions with all fish, or only half of them.

QuoteThe question is in this case, what DSSV2 is. A building-mod or a new theme-mod?
answering @Tom Sawyer & @brads3 , yes, you are right  :o I don't really know what DS Small Village has become, or where it is going. All the changes I have planned I don't think should be apart of it....
???
basically I am just going along with the ride, taking in suggestions & ideas, and coming up with my own. This is going to be huge.... it already is for me, to navigate all the files and keep up with changes I make.
So you are right when you say: "i dont think DS knows what he is either.", and I'm guessing that to be 'I don't know what DSSV as a mod is to be?'
Well you are right. But it isn't going to be DS Small Village v2...   all of the upcoming betas of v2 will end up becoming a much broader, varied mod that will be a single mod with all my other mods together. And so in a way, regarding start conditions, etc, it won't be compatible to The North or CC, but it should still be able to be used, with them if placed below in the mod list.

So... when will v2 proper of DS Small Village be released? Once I finish building my own version of every vanilla building, plus have at least 1 variant or texture variant of each building...  ;D ... maybe.

@kid1293 warned me about this, a long time ago...  ;)

anyway,

- I have fixed the mistake in the start condition Stranded, that was my fault, the fix will be a part of the next beta release, which I hope will happen just after Christmas.
    - also fixes to most of the other bugs/issues (I have a list on the mod discussion page)

Also I hope to have finalized:
    - all starting conditions will be changed slightly, Stranded is going to be split into 3 versions: Stranded (one family + small inventory) , Stranded Hard (2 families + very small inventory, only enough supplies for one family) & Stranded Harder (2 families with nothing)
    - all starts will have slightly revised inventories and start buildings (apart from Jack & Jill and Stranded Harder both will still start with nothing).
    - I am also going to include a way to gather, hunt and fish quicker. But they won't be by the click of a button, for example you will need Fishing Gear to fish from the river bank, 8 Fishing Gear costs 3 log + 1 iron, these are easily built by the Village/Jetty Workshop or Blacksmith for some things. Also needed is Hunting Gear (same price as fishing gear), and Gathering Bowls (1 log  = 5 bowls), the Workshop will easily and quickly produce these simple items, the village workshop will come ready built on some starts, or is easily built for 8 logs and 1 stone.
    - Most easier starts will include all the resources to gather, fish & hunt in the storage barn. (they will be classed as textiles - why? because it is already stored in a barn, and if you had fishing gear, hunting gear etc, you wouldn't want it out in the weather. plus no changes to resource flags).
    - all of the new fish will have higher trade value prices.
also...
- a small tent (with F variants) that sits on 2x2, the tent will cost 2 leather + 1 log + 8 work
- a small primitive wooden shelter, also sits on 2x2, this will cost 5 log + 8 work
- the Village Inn, for temporary accommodation with f-key variants. cost 55 log + 13 stone + 89 work
- small 2x1 fishing spots, that catch all the different kinds of fish. They are all slightly slower than a normal fisherman, who catches more 'Fish' as he just keeps whatever fish he catches, whereas these fisherman will take time to catch the right fish and let the others go, and will have a higher trade value.
- a jetty seafood grill, that will turn some of the fish into varied meals of value and also a diverse diet.
- jetty decorative seating areas & other deco jetty pieces (yes, @Paeng & @elemental , I have at least 1 boat for now)
- larger village barns and jetty storage sheds.
- a different apiary building - more out of village-farm style.
- village tavern for alcohol & luxuries service, and accompanying brewery and kitchen.

what else?
-- well for a few months I have been holding onto a few different crops, they still require a few model & texture alterations, but I'm getting there... they are: Lentils, Zucchini/Courgette & Buckwheat.
-- Also I have an Almond tree based upon the example fig tree, but I'm still trying to get it to work correctly (it will have blossom for all of growing season, I wish it was different).
-- A Birch Forester, or a Birch Plantation/Orchard: they will grow and harvest Birch Wood, this can be turned into firewood, or, when processed it can be turned into Birch Bark & Birch Sap.
          --- the Bark will be used to make Birch Tar - this can then be used to create Juchten Leather, a tough leather that can be used to create a higher value clothing, and lower weight (vanilla clothing is weighted at 10, a Juchten Coat will only weigh 5).
          --- Birch Sap is classed as an edible fruit for your citizens, it can also be used in other productions... more to come.

the fishmonger is a WIP, it is taking some time to get right, perhaps this is a reason to utilize only half of the fish... we will see. Also you are correct regarding Cod, I am going to change a few requirements to be able to acquire a few of the fish varieties, much like CC, there will be a requirement for a boat.

I have made the jetty parts build-able on walkable areas because I thought it would be good for difficult terrain areas, I do realize it doesn't always work correctly and if you don't use a flatten terrain tool first the ground might be above the building and look like an old landslide.

And, is Extreme, extreme enough?