News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Decorative plants

Started by Voeille, May 21, 2018, 01:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voeille

I'm sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I tend to say things in a convoluted way, add to that the fact that I'm not a native speaker, and I can be incomprehensible sometimes. Hopefully not too often ;)

Also, it turns out I was wrong! I thought sprite sheet is made manually, but it looks like it's generated. I've updated a few of my icons, and the sprite sheet added them automatically when I compiled the mod.

I managed to get the removal working a moment before you posted it, but thanks anyway, it helped me to fix the tooltip as I was referring to a wrong thing in my files :)

So now the next step is making the F-key variants. I hope it'll go smooth if I have the main thing working now.

RedKetchup

yeah they are generated by the toolkit. thats the purpose of the 2 other spritesheet files in your UI folder (or the Dialog folder in case of your common toolbar / personnal toolbar.)

bah about the explanation of how to do it (add a trash icon) can be used as tutorial for any of the other new fans of trying to make mods ^^.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

maybe one day you can add a special model for the selecting option called highlight (which i do sometimes on some models) because sometimes playing with semi transparent texture does some weird ugly thing (doing a yellow line around the physical plane instead or the physical pixels) :)

Voeille

That would be nice, it'd look much better for the fern to be selected with alpha considered. But that sounds like something to do later after I have more experience :)

I have a question about the toolbar. I want to add a subsection for plants. Now the location for the fern is in common toolbar/me/decorations/fern, but I want it to be under common toolbar/me/decorations/plants/fern. If my decorations section is defined as follows:

Toolbar Vdecorations : "base"
{
Toolbar _parent = "Game/VToolbar.rsc:Vtoolbar";
int _sortPriority = 650;

String _toolTip = "VdecorationsTip";   
String _image = "Vdecorations";
Action _action = ShowGroup;

bool _autoHotKey = true;
Keys _hotKey = Toolbar1;
}

Would it be enough to add:

Toolbar Vplants : "base"
{
Toolbar _parent = "Game/VToolbar.rsc:Vdecorations";
int _sortPriority = 650;

String _toolTip = "VplantsTip";   
String _image = "Vplants";
Action _action = ShowGroup;

bool _autoHotKey = true;
Keys _hotKey = Toolbar1;
}

And change this line:
Toolbar _parent = "Game\VToolbar.rsc:Vdecorations";
To:
Toolbar _parent = "Game\VToolbar.rsc:Vplants";

I think it would work, but my university tasks and projects taught me that if I have an idea for code and I think it should work as intended right away, I'm wrong 90% of the time ;)

And I'd say this whole thread would be useful for a newbie to read over, as there are a lot of basic questions answered here. And there will be more to answer until I'm done with the mod.

RedKetchup

everything depends if you think and you plan to share those new toolbar with other mods you can do... maybe later ?
if you plan to make another mod that will link things on those new toolbars (then do it in dialog) or it will be the only mod that will use those new toolbars (then do it in UI)

all the toolbars planned to be shared through your 324 future mods, need to be set in dialog and everything of those toolbars need to be included in your next 324 future mods even if you wont use it because it is an house and not a decoration.... because the mods at top of that mod list need to be aware they exist.^^
when i mean by "everything of those toolbars" i mean only the toolbars, not the ferns items :P

and yeah then the anchor will be changed to the new sub toolbar

Voeille

324 mods, that sounds ambitious :) Maybe I'll manage that in my lifetime, who knows. I have a short attention span and I switch between the games a lot, usually every few months. For all I've noticed I always come back though, even if it's after a long time. My most recent mod for Sims 2 (it's hardly to call a house built in game a mod, but whatever) was made in July 2017, but it's definitely not the last one and sooner or later I'll go back and make more. And then, after a few months, I'll feel the call to switch games again, and the cycle repeats. Each game I've modded taught me something that is usable in others (or usable in general, like having more experience with 3D modelling), so I think it's overall beneficial :)

What if, say during making my 10th mod, I come up with another general subcategory? Like food/vegan/raw or resources/mines. Do I need to update and recompile all the previous mods?

RedKetchup

Quote from: Voeille on May 23, 2018, 05:57:07 PM

What if, say during making my 10th mod, I come up with another general subcategory? Like food/vegan/raw or resources/mines. Do I need to update and recompile all the previous mods?

yes. it needs to be included inside both mods, will need to update old ones because you dont know which mod will be at top in x player name mod list.
he can get some missing icons depending which one on top of the list

Voeille

Well, I tried to add the subcategory and one F-key variant. The subcategory works fine, but the F-key variant doesn't, it just isn't in the game. I think I added all needed references but I must've missed something.

Files

Gatherer

I'm just stopping by to say I don't understand half the stuff you people are talking about but I do understand there is progress happening and the pics of these ferns are lovely. When this mod is finished I will definitely download and use it.

Big support from a deco fanatic!
:)
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Voeille

Thanks! Looking forward to see the plants in your town pictures :)

RedKetchup

are you sure you are deleting the /Bin/ and /Build/ folders before EACH time you double click on the Build.bat ?

because i cant even check, cant even compile : it doesnt find the .dds

Voeille

I do always delete Bin, and the PKM file in the WinData folder, I didn't know I also need to delete the Build folder.

It compiles fine for me, it finds all the files, it's just that there is only one variant in the game.

Maybe something went wrong with the upload and you have files missing? I deleted it and reuploaded again here.

RedKetchup

i saw the .dds in there but it wasnt finding it. i didnt checked the new package yet... but i have a question: di you made a real new mesh for the alternate or you only rotated at your screen and saved ? (if the case , how you sure you did rotated the real world coordinates or just the screen virtual coordinates ? because both exists) (you would have been more sure about your moves if they were really 2 different meshes.)

btw at the begining of your .bat, you can add those 2 lines: (just a fair warning for any other poeple... dont use those if you arent sure you know what you are doing LOL because thats powerful commands and if you arent using those properly, you can delete files that doesnt even go to the recycle bin)

rmdir bin /S /Q
rmdir build /S /Q

like this (your new .bat) :

rmdir bin /S /Q
rmdir build /S /Q
..\..\bin\x64\Tools-x64.exe /build VDecorativePlantsResources.rsc /pathres ../example/VDecorativePlants /pathdat ../example/VDecorativePlants/bin
..\..\bin\x64\Tools-x64.exe /mod Package.rsc:VDecorativePlants /pathres ../example/VDecorativePlants /pathdat ../example/VDecorativePlants/bin

RedKetchup

it still doesnt even find the .dds with your new zip files.
gonna change it to a png so i can compile

Tom Sawyer

Maybe you did not apply scale after scaling down your F variant and both models are shown in game but just looking the same.