News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Decorative plants

Started by Voeille, May 21, 2018, 01:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voeille

I already did that when making the model. I started with a plane (single sided, 2 faces), duplicated and flipped it (so it became double sided, 4 faces), and made the model using that. It looks fine in both Sims 2 and CSL, so the original model is fine. (Those games don't have anything that would automatically fix it, if I imported a model made with one sided planes, then it'd look one sided.) I must've done something wrong while importing it to Banished.

Files (It includes the original OBJ before any editing.)

Edit: The original OBJ is straight from Milkshape 3D, so if you open it somewhere, the normals might look off.

Voeille

It's the Foliage material. When I changed it to BillboardEvergreen, the model is fine, but for all I can tell there's no wavy animation (which is strange, I thought evergreen has it too), and no snow. I can't tell if the other one had proper snow though (I haven't checked snow after I added UV channels). Will test BillboardEvergreen on the other fern, that one does have AO map working.

Voeille

Right, I think I solved it. I tested the BillboardEvergreen material on the first fern, and that was a no-go. It transformed my model completely:

And it looked really weird if you rotated the camera. And, no snow.

So the conclusion was:

• Evergreen renders the model without holes, but it transforms it into a weird thing.
  • Foliage doesn't transform the model, but it renders it wrong, with holes (if you look closely on the pictures of the first fern, it does have some).
  • Foliage understands snow.
  • Both have the wavy animation, but foliage has a much more subtle one.
I wanted proper rendering from evergreen, and snow and no transformation from foliage. So I experimented a bit with the materials and made a custom one that is a mash-up of evergreen and foliage (4 lines from evergreen, 4 lines from foliage), and I ambitiously called it FoliageMaterial1. And it works as intended! I get the animation, snow, and the model without holes.
So this is how the first fern looks now:

However, in a certain moment of the animation, it moves too much to one side and the shadows look weird:

I guess I can't do anything about it? Or should I try to apply the normal fix again?

Also, I want to edit the materials even more to get autumn colours from billboard non-evergreen, but keep the rest from foliage. Has it been done? I have a feeling it has, because I think the Tall Greenboy Tree from CC doesn't rotate with the camera (that's the result of the mesh transformation from billboard), but gets the autumn colours.

kid1293

Good Morning! :)
I am sorry but I can not help you with material files. I simply do not understand them.
The weird shadows maybe comes from moving too much? Try a less violent movement.
Change the size of third UV-map. Maybe a little smaller will let you have waves but not too much.

I am very glad you are experimenting with materials. They do give us more options.

RedKetchup

only @Bartender was loving to experiment with materials and .srsl files
but didnt mod or came here since a while.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Tom Sawyer

I also appreciate working at materials. We have a couple of customs for transparent window glass, moving water and more snow on buildings but as far as I know nothing for better or special plants and there is a lot more to invent for sure.

What I don't understand is what for you want double sided leaves. Nobody can see the bottom in game and removing these faces would optimize your model by incredible 50%. Or do I miss something? Sometimes I add a face on the bottom to solve shadow glitches but I don't see a purpose here.

Voeille

It's morning here too, but I stayed up for the whole night (that's completely normal for me, so don't worry), so it's basically evening for me ;)

I played around with the .srsl files (but I definitely wouldn't claim I loved that, and the files wouldn't claim they loved what I tried to do to them ;)), and now I've got what I wanted :) No holes, there's the wavy animation, the model isn't transformed, and the plants change colour in autumn and vanish in winter (they're completely invisible so it's not a good idea to try to place them when there aren't leaves on trees). I might try to experiment with the UV map so there is at least a tiny bit at the bottom left instead of completely invisible.

I paid attention to that shadow and it wasn't just animation, it kind of depended on the camera position, and looked bad in general. I got rid of it in the material code.

@Tom Sawyer
The second fern has much taller leaves and they are visible from both sides. So with just one side it really looked broken. I don't have it properly done in Banished yet (it's still sideways), so here is a picture from CSL.

Voeille

Also, I can influence the animation strength in the code, is it OK or should it be more subtle? Here is the PKM file.

Tom Sawyer

Wow, they look nice in autumn. Actually a pity to not have them naturally grown in the forest. I will look at it in game.

Nilla

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on May 24, 2018, 11:49:58 PM
Wow, they look nice in autumn. Actually a pity to not have them naturally grown in the forest.

Agree! (And they look great in summer, too. Adds deapth to the picture, even when the color is the same)

Voeille

Thanks :) It would be nice to have them generated on the map indeed, however it'd probably impact performance because of the polys.

This is how they look now, with the other model:

And I decided I'll actually let them vanish completely in winter. The other plants don't have any kind of bottom part so vanishing completely is the other option for them, so the ferns don't need to be different.

Now I'll add the icon and it's time for hydrangea :)

Voeille

Hydrangea is ready :) I found it quite annoying that the texture is dependent on what is set in Blender – all colour versions use exactly the same model, yet I had to copy it for each colour separately, change the material name and link to each colour.

RedKetchup

they looks great !!!! you are talented :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

galensgranny

I'm loving the Hydrangea! The ferns came out great.  :)

Voeille

I have a problem with my tree. I resized the part of the UV map representing the trunk to just a tiny dot like mentioned in this thread, but it doesn't stop it from disappearing in winter. I want just the leaves to disappear.