News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The Allberger Diaries, Volume 1

Started by rkelly17, May 19, 2014, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

I have completed the text of my latest "historical" work, this time written as an edited diary, which you can find in the fan fiction section. I haven't yet put the pictures in part 4, but I wanted to put it up before it drove me insane. I've been using Uncle Torg's Citizen Tracker in addition to doing the diary and that means play a year pausing constantly to record information, save the game, fill in the Tracker and write up the diary entries. To make matters worse I decided (for some reason I cannot fathom at the moment) to do genealogies for everybody and downloaded a freeware, open source program called Gramps from Sourceforge. It is a nice, stand alone program which does not require subscribing to an expensive web site. Problem: It wants real dates, not seasons and game years. Then I realized that 12 seasons per year do not divide evenly into 5 life years (age counter) per year. I did some calculations and did a chart that more or less works to convert and started entering data. What was I thinking?!? Now I'm committed (or ought to be committed) so I keep going. Anyway, I hope the diaries bring some enjoyment to all. It may be awhile before the second volume comes out since I'll be spending the next week reading a book manuscript for my wife that is about ready to go out. After that, given another attack of insanity, I might be back at it.

Boris_amj

Thank you, @rkelly17.

I made a point of sitting down with a nice cup of iced mugi-cha (Japanese barley tea) and read your historical account with great pleasure. I particularly enjoyed the academic research feeling to it.

I am impressed by Ritch Anders. The clear headed way in which he lead his people. How he organised the development of the settlement. The internal moral struggles he had to deal with.

In short, how real he feels to us.

rkelly17

Thank you for the feedback, @Boris_amj. I respect your ability as a storyteller and a complement from you is to be treasured.

Ritch did become quite real to me in the process of following the game--in fact I became a bit crazy about it. I'm taking a bit of a break from Allberger to calm down, but I'll be back at it before too awfully long. Banished can become quite real.