News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Not Exactly a Challenge

Started by rkelly17, May 15, 2014, 07:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Thank you everyone! This thread is even better than I had hoped.

As to my own town, I got so involved that, of course, I forgot to take pictures at year 5. Not much to see anyway.

Here are overall shots of Year 10:

North End

The forest node is the original settlement. The blacksmith, school, tailor and house just East of the forest came next and then the market, fishing dock and trading post. The rest followed as resources became available.

South End

Here are overall shots from Year 20

North End

Southeast

Southwest

Main town square. I've built a "town forester" to plant trees in the square and around town. I can't remember who I stole this idea from, so if you are out there take credit. At this point I'm just starting the pave the square. It already is an idling hotspot.

Pioneer Cemetery and Memorial. I got the idea of enshrining the original wagon from some beautiful towns that were reference on the Shining Rock forum. No paving yet, but that will come.

rkelly17

Curses! I didn't get the pictures inserted in the body. I attached and provided places for inserting the images, but the attached images never showed up when I was editing and so I couldn't insert a URL into the tags. Someone want to initiate me into the arcane mysteries.

slink

You want to insert the URL displayed when you hover your mouse over the thumbnail, or sometimes the URL one number off if you get the thumbnail displayed instead of the real photo.  Put the following all on one line in between the image tags.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?

action=dlattach;topic=48.0;attach=181;image

rkelly17

Thank you @slink. Is it possible to get this URL before posting? I filled in the windows under "Attachments and other options" but only saw the names of the files I had attached, never the URL until after I posted. Do I have to post, get the URL and then modify or is there some other way that I am missing?

nmid

I overshot the target and took screenshots of Winter Year 5 (5D)..
I wanted to get that town hall up and that stone was a massive pain to collect.
The traders didn't help any, but atleast I set my custom orders so they'll be more useful in the future.
Ps - Like Slink, I played on medium settings too.

http://imgur.com/YSNMH87

http://imgur.com/DSHcmEK

This is from Early Spring 5 (5A)
http://imgur.com/xqVztcx

I'm not using up my river-facing land just yet, apart from some temporary farms.

slink

That's the way that I do it, @rkelly17.  There may be another way, but I don't know it.

slink

The overall, west end and east end.

In the 11th year, the first old female died.  On her deathbed, she kept muttering "Never forget the river ... never forget the river ..."  This sorely puzzled everyone, but after she was dead and buried, they set a watcher on the riverside.  Day after day, the watcher watched fish and deer swimming under the water of the river.  But sure enough, one day a rowboat passed by.  It was burdened with many parcels.  As the colonist watched in amazement, the rower waved a hand and cried "Build it and we will come."  Build what, wondered the watcher.  But the sentence was duly reported to the elders, who gathered in meeting to decide just what should be built.  First they built a bridge, but that only got them to the other side of the river.  Then they built a Trading Post.

"What shall we trade?" was the first question.  Tallying all of their possessions required a larger enclosed area than they owned.  "We could build a special barn just for that purpose, and why not have someplace people can hang around the outside, right?"  They built it out of stone, and called it the Town Hall.  After much swearing and scratching marks on birch bark with sharp sticks, they decided to trade beans.  Oh, and those huge mushrooms that the gatherers kept finding.  "Got to be somebody wants those" was the general sentiment.  One thing they noticed was that they were short on firewood, so they built another forester's hut and another woodcutter's yard.

"And what shall we trade for?" was the second question.  Corn, it seemed, was on everyone's mind.  "Baked potatoes are fine, but we'd love some grain."  Everyone also wanted some wool, from which to make clothing to replace the woven beanstalks.  "These things itch", complained someone.  "We want some nice soft woolen underwear."

The following year, a rowboat laden with parcels pulled into their Trading Post, and they felt very good about it all the effort to which they had gone.  They didn't buy anything just then, but they ordered seed corn and wool.  While they waited, they replace the original school with a tailors shop, and built a new school on the far side of the second marketplace. 

Two years later, the seed corn and the wool arrived.  They changed the order then to wool, and stone, and iron.  The year afterward those things began to arrive.  Life was good, even though the elders were now dying off one at a time.  At least they were not buried on a beanstalk mat, as the first old female was.  No, they were buried in cloaks of fine woolen fabric, with grave offerings of green beans cooked with onions and roots, and corn cakes made with chopped chestnuts.

nmid

that's a nice story line you have going on there, @slink :)

I'm resisting looking at other people's maps till I get to year 50, because I don't want it to subconsciously influence my map :p
Once I get to year 50, I'll look at the pics in detail.. but in the mean time, the story line makes it a fun read.

rkelly17

It's good to see that our beloved capitalist genius @nmid and our dear agribiz mogul @slink hard at work. nmid, do I see seven or eight trading posts already laid out by year 5? Gees. I'm lucky if I've sited 1 by then.

nmid

@rkelly17 heh... you make me blush.

I haven't had time to play @solarscreen 's Tiny Isle map post year 75 in v1.0.1
I was planning on trying it out again in v1.0.2, but from scratch.
Trying to replace 30+ tradeports in a running map, gave me pause.

However, not being sure if v1.0.3 (?) will be compatible with v1.0.2 or if the tradeports will continue to hold 60,000.
Not to mention the lack of time that stopped me from really played the Tiny Isle map (which has a decent 63 trade ports).
This map only has space for around 47 or so.....

I have 1 Trade port working atm, but I'm really happy that I have the townhall up as well.
That will help me keep track of the families/production numbers and better push the growth to the max.
I'm planning on making a market by spring of year 7 (7A) and then see how many nomads I can get :)

With the new 1.0.2 here, I'm going to make only logs + ale.. (because logs have the best profit and we have enough space to hold all the logs needed to buy out a tradeboat of 40,000 value.. and ale, just to make use of the food boats for trade as well).
I'm going to experiment with 4 layers of production buildings + storage near the river and only then build houses/markets after that.

I hadn't thought long term in Tiny Isle 1.0.1 and I find it tough to pull down running buildings... so I do have some improvements in mind here, from the get-go.
This map might not be the best to try out a trading empire, but it's a good test for the current 1.0.2 :).

mariesalias

I am enjoying seeing everyone's pictures! I am trying hard not to look too closely at the layout, but I especially love the scenic ones you guys post! I am also enjoying your story @slink!

I played last night and got up to year 27, I will try to get the screenshots up tonight. I will try to remember to take some scenic ones from here on out. I did at least remember to close most of my UI elements anyway, for them, so I'd call that an improvement! Looking forward to seeing how everyone's towns develop!

solarscreen

I love the quad four square market design!  Let us know how that works out, I would be interested to hear how well that design does with the market in the middle.

I'd try it myself but I busy trying to get my town from the Not really a Challenge to build up from a Hard start.  :)

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

mariesalias

I meant to comment on that, as well! I loved that slink incorporated it into her town. It looks so well!

nmid

@mariesalias one of the screenshot buttons automatically removes all UI interfaces..  :)

mariesalias

@nmid  I know there is one to do that, I think I set mine up wrong initially though. I keep meaning to check in game and then keep forgetting. I reset the screen capture with UI to the Pause/Break button and the screen capture without UI to the Print Screen button but it has never worked properly. I think I'll go load up the game and check it now while I am thinking of it! Thanks! :)