News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Poll : New Crops package

Started by RedKetchup, August 28, 2014, 02:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Poll : New Crops package.

If it would happends if we would do a pack of new crops, how many new crops would you see and wish to be added ? and which grain/vegetable would you like to see being added ?

personally i like the Luke idea for his lettuce, but his graphic is ugly as hell, i would see it included but with a fix like taking cabbage graphic  but just giving a different color more or less greenish (would need to research)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

mariesalias

I think the new grains thread holds some great possibilities! Colorful is good.

RedKetchup

RedKetchup

i am counting on you girls and guys

irrelevant

Could definitely use a new grain of some kind, just the two is a bit limiting.

Bobbi

Is hops a crop? Hops needed to make Ale?

graphite

Hi everyone,

Seeing as you guys have got voting going on, thanks to Red by the looks of it ... no surprise there ;)  I thought I would pop in, have a cold one, chew the cud, and throw some submissions in for consideration. I'm still in the process of unravelling Luke's workflow, but making good headway ;) Finding some nice surprises i.e. buildings will flatten land y/n. Will keep you guys informed as there discovered.

Anyways, for your consideration, the humble cucumber in disguise. I've included a flow chart {though not complete} so you can get some idea of how the code works.  As time permits I'll throw in some images into the other categories.

Cheers all

RedKetchup

Hi Graphite ! Happy to see you here :)

nice sheet you have there :) ya i opened some poll to see people interest :)

mariesalias

For grains, Amaranth and Quinoa are colorful crops. Then there are the standard green/gold rains like Oats, Barley, Rye, and Millet.

Foe more colorful crops:

Yellow: Mustard and Sunflowers (seeds would be a nut/protein)

Red: Tomatoes, Red Leaf Lettuce, Strawberries (crop fruit), Poppies (crop herb/seeds?)

Red/green: Kale, Rhubarb, Beets, and Red Swiss Chard

Purple/Green: Kale

Purples: Red Cabbage, Grapes(crop fruit), Berries (crop fruit), Lavender (crop herb)

Blues: Berries (crop fruits)

White/Green: Cauliflower, Leeks, Sesame (seeds would be protein like nuts?)

Greens with interesting shapes: Cucumbers/Zucchni, Peas, Pineapple (crop fruit), Celery/Asparagus, Onions,

A Nonny Moose

Diversity is important for farming.  In addition to food crops, oil crops as well.

Canola: The most basic oil crop.  Cooking oil.  (Also called rapeseed).  Bright yellow when in bloom, turns brown then black when ready to harvest.  Interesting seasonal effects.

Soya: Another common crop.  Cooking oil, tofu base.  Also edible as beans called umami.

Sweet potato

Feed corn: if you have swine you have to feed them.

Other fodder crops: Alfalfa, etc.  Add a dimension to the game by having to feed your livestock.

Truck garden items: Radish, spring onions (scallions), various forms of lettuce

This can be on a per item basis or in a comprehensive package.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

Holy crap! I leave town for a week and all hell breaks loose! As long as we're talking crops:

Hops--along with a mod that makes hopped ale worth more than unhopped ale.
Barley--for brewing
Yams or sweet potatoes
Strawberries (as field crop)
Oats
Root crops: carrots, beets, summer turnips
Rutabaga (American name)/turnips (Canadian name): These are animal feed in Germany (except when the potato crop fails badly) but people food in North America.
Sugar beets???

graphite

Hi Everyone,

@mariesalias

Thanks for the feedback, and I appreciate you putting them into classes. But tbh, I had to google Amaranth and Quinoa, :D I should point out at this point that not only do I {a} have tendency to waffle {B} get too technical in my replies {pull me up if you don't know what I'm {a}'ing about},and {c} I'm sooo, sooo, easily distracted i.e. just spent the last 20min with amaranth and quinoa, glad I love them both lol. For those too lazy to google ;)

I found this entertaining: quinoa is closely related to species such as beetroots, spinach and tumbleweeds. What! Tumbleweeds. 

On Mustard; you may have just started the great "Mustard vs. Canola" debate lol

In regards to the others plants, some are already in the pipeline, those that are not currently in the pipeline go into a database for further referencing and consideration, with one exception, the Amaranth plant. I've tagged this to go into the pipeline, and it will make its first appearance in an upcoming "Blackwood" mod titled, "Stairway to the gods". Now I don't think I would have ever considered this plant, so Marie, you're going on the credits list for artistic inspiration ;)

Cheers all.

graphite

@ A Nonny Moose

thanks for the feedback ;)

"Diversity is important for farming."

Absolutely, could not agree more with this statement, and "Diversity" it is one of the core philosophies behind Blackwood Mods.

Fodder Crops: Is currently on the table and being looked into, no ... that's not right, it kind of slipped off the table, no ... that's not right, it kind of distracted it's way off the table, and is now sitting on the to do list again ;)

But when it was on table my thinking behind it was three fold:

Animal feed:  +pos effect to yield for animals fed: -neg effect to next crop planted in field: -neg to field soil condition:  +pos/-neg to soil ph. {depending on what type of fodder was removed}: +pos increase to disease chance: 

Fertilizer: +pos effect to yield of next crop: -neg to animal yield and health: +pos to field soil condition: +pos/-neg to soil ph. {depending on what type of fodder was turned back in; -neg lower disease chance:

Crop rotation: This one's still in the think tank, but will tie in with the changes to time for crop maturity, environment and climate.

Here are some more 3D models that are in the early development pipeline. More on the way ;)

graphite

Bobbi