News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod request: More over-water buildings

Started by TheOtherMicheal, July 24, 2017, 11:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOtherMicheal

Prompted by this thread, http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/topic/1407-sustainable-village-on-water/ I'd like to ask if anyone would be interested in making some more buildings that can be placed over water.

While there are quite a few buildings that can be built over the water when you combine CC, Discrepancy's DS Jetty & Bridge set and Necora's Inshore Fisheries mods, there are still a few buildings that are stictly land based e.g. the hospital and townhall. Any attempt at a sustainable village with the minimum use of land is always going to need land for the hospital, town hall, boarding house, fruit & vegetable growing and the blacksmith (so the more advanced tools like steel tools can be made).

There is a specific need for those buildings mentioned in the paragraph above but I'd also like to ask @RedKetchup and @kid1293  if they might consider making over-water versions of their greenhouses so some fruit & vegetables can be grown without needing a cropfield or orchard (specifically the greenhouse from the Garden Walls: Utility set and the greenhouse from the Tequila Addon set)

kid1293

It's a big task. Making a village self-sustainable is probably possible.
I only ask - For what? Are the game options already emptied out?
Tihs will require attention from several sources and there is a risk it is not
reaching the goal. I can make a greenhouse on water but I can't use solid
stone foundation houses on stilts.  :( I have to make new ones.
This was not in my mind and I am hesitant.
To be honest I want to delay this and hope it goes away.
But - you have opened the thread and people have different opinions.

twilightbreeze

I could see this. There are some starting conditions available, where there is a swamp land, mostly water, I could see a village built over water in that.
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

brads3

you can fake it. terraform the land and use a ghost quay spot to hide the ground. then you can build any building but it won't disrupt the look.

QueryEverything

Hiya @TheOtherMicheal :) 
I know @Discrepancy had started to work on a Stone version of his wooden DS Jetty system, and there were going to be more advanced housing included in that.

I wonder about dropping him a line and seeing what he thinks about brainstorming with you, bringing more buildings up into the mod - so, more Village services etc.

If he can get that going, and I say if (cos, I'm not him, and he has been AFK - I think he had things going on over Summer), other modders may be interested in changing the tile requirements of their buildings from land to water?

I'd love to see more buildings too - and it's why I'm very excited to see Discrepancy being actively developing a more advanced water world. :)
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1755.0
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

TheOtherMicheal

Quote from: kid1293 on July 24, 2017, 12:49:13 PM
It's a big task. Making a village self-sustainable is probably possible.
I only ask - For what? Are the game options already emptied out?
It was an experiment to see if a self-sustaining village could be made, a challenge that Banished&used had tried to accomplish but found difficult because some buildings are only land based e.g. the hospital. When disease spread through the village it could not be stopped because no hospital was available.
Having these sorts of buildings available for over-water use offers another option for settlements, for those of us who like maps with lakes.

I think rather than just making them on stilts, there are other options available for these buildings, they could be made on pontoons or barges kind of like the market boat in your House Boat mod. I understand if you don't wish to make a water version of your greenhouse, you have many other projects to look after but by discussing it maybe someone will get inspiration from your greenhouse?

TheOtherMicheal

Hi @QueryEverything I think I read somewhere that @Discrepancy was taking a break from modding, so basically I didn't want to bother him with personal requests. I knew about his stone bridge set and I'm really looking forward to it.
Although I started this thread as a mod request, I realize that many of the modders are busy with current mod projects or real life so this thread could really have been a suggestions thread ;D

I really, really, REALLY want Discrepancy's stone bridge mod set (it looks incredible!) but I just have to be patient and wait for him to complete it. So yeah, I would love to see more over-water buildings but I realize it is another request in a long line of requests to the modders so my idea is to put the suggestion here and hopefully sometime in the future a modder will be free to consider making some over-water buildings.

If it never happens then that's okay, we players have to remember that sometimes a suggestion is just not appealing to a modder, sometimes they have too many other things to do and sometimes they just need a break away from modding! We have to be patient and understanding of this  :)

embx61

You are right on the money @TheOtherMicheal

While we do our best to please about anyone time and real life can get in the way to fulfill all requests.

I have still so much to do with the small village set taking in new requests is on the back burner for the moment.

It also depends on the modders mood of the moment.
Sometimes I want to model buildings and sometimes I want to model something different.

I working on 3 projects at the moment. Small Village, Natural Irrigation update, and Ghosted Signs on and off and switch between them.

I thank you for understanding that we modders have real life and even sometimes a burnout too and I hope a modder will get to it sooner or later.
Please keep the requests coming even when we never will be able to fulfill them all unless more modders are joining WoB. :)

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

RedKetchup

i personally have no idea how all these water pieces are working, and how they fit and imbricate together.
i never even saw in game a piece that goes over water from any other modder (cc,or any)...

but all my pieces are available to other moddlers though :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 25, 2017, 02:29:53 AMi never even saw in game a piece that goes over water from any other modder (cc,or any)...

Hmmm... if I understand OP right, he means things that can be built along a shore, partly in the water (stilts or walls) but "anchored" to land?

That's certainly possible - CC has the quay buildings, Discrepancy has the Jetty Houses...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

embx61

What OP wants is more buildings on stilts so a whole town can be build in the water.

If it is done he can tear down the bridge to the main land and want that Island town still be able to survive with no connection to the main land.

Some mods have already several buildings but he is missing some key buildings like town hall, hospital, food buildings as green houses because orchards and crop fields cannot be build on water.

A sort of Banished Water World :)

Gatherer

Quote from: embx61 on July 26, 2017, 02:34:13 PM
What OP wants is more buildings on stilts so a whole town can be build in the water.

If it is done he can tear down the bridge to the main land and want that Island town still be able to survive with no connection to the main land.

But that's not possible because of how the game assigns jobs and homes to bannies.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

embx61

Not sure.

If all the jobs are assigned on that island and that island have all the supporting buildings it maybe will work.
All the houses are on that island too.

OP must not build anything at the main land besides a Forester for wood. just gather the stone, iron and delete those buildings and supporting houses if the come to be island is about to be self contained.

He will lose some Bannies who are at the moment on the main land if he destroys the bridge because of cold/hunger but the island will be self contained.
I don't think the game code cares where the buildings/houses are as long as the bannies can reach them.

Sure OP loses out on orchards. pastures, crop fields, trees, mines, quarry's as those can only be build on land but with lots of trading he may get by.
That is also the reason he ask for green houses on stilts so orchard and crop fields are not needed.

Not my way playing a water world game but who am I?

Maldrick

Something I've always thought would be cool, too.  It's a way of isolating the entire village to only constructed areas and then sustaining it.  Just a different way of playing the game.

Took a stab at it with CC once, and had a cursory look with the DS set but didn't take it so far as to completely sever ties to land.  My impression was that if you worked the trading right it would be doable, but you would be very limited because those sets don't cover everything and you would constantly be walking a tightrope with disaster lying underneath.

Got me curious about giving it another go as its been quite a while.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Maldrick

Oh, and yes, Discrepancy's bridge mod is much anticipated and I hope he eventually returns and is able to make headway with it.  Got to play with the bridge a bit when he had it in the beta for the dock set and it's absolutely amazing just as a bridge for a variety of reasons from the look, to how it goes together, to the size...It's been a bit but I seem to remember noting that it lines up perfectly with RK's city roads, which is awesome.  There aren't a lot of large stone bridge options like that with that grand and distinctive medieval look and he just nailed it.  Then he posted screens of some if what he was doing with it and it looked like you could piece together your own ponte vecchio...Absolutely spectacular.

I think he also posted that it was giving him some tech problems and was burning him out on modding.  Which is completely understandable...Just as a player I have to take breaks from my very favorite games every few months.  Can only imagine it's a hundredfold with something as involved as modding a game like this.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze