News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod Requests - Keepin' It Simple

Started by MarkAnthony, September 03, 2020, 05:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAnthony

Good afternoon.

I got tomorrow off and so does Lynn so we plan on playing Banished for much of the day. The other day I accidentally showed her the Debug Menu mod in an attempt at showing her how she can more easily practice on how to build the dock sets and canals but without intent on my end she started using that mod when playing her games while I was at work. She uses it to build "pretty towns" and not actually play the game as intended.  Oops! My bad.  Oh well.  ::) :-X

Anyways, I was hoping to make a few easy mod suggestions:

(1) Flag mod for town planning - @kid1293 already made a quick go at this for me about a week or so ago. The idea was for colored flags/flagpoles that I can place down to mark out areas of my game map such as deer/elk/bear grazing spots and stuff like that. The flagpoles should be of various heights such as ground level if the ground is clear, medium height if there is some ground cover, and tall/extra tall if they are placed in a forest of trees so we can see the flags above the treetops.

The flag colors would be your standard solid colors: green, blue, red, yellow, orange, purple, black, grey, white and what not. So if someone wanted to plan out their maps they could place green flags/flagpoles for their agricultural areas, black for their industrial areas, blue for canal pathing, orange for grazing spots, purple for their upscale housing areas, grey for their worker/slum areas, red for areas of caution such as marking off the radius circles of foresters and gatherers so you don't cut down their trees (and not have to keep their respective windows open seeing those annoying yellow circles), and yellow for schools, and white for hospitals and herbalists and so forth.

As I said Kid already made a quick version of this flag mod for me. He had a green and blue ground-level flag, a medium yellow flag, and a tall red flag. So far I have been using the tall red flag to mark all my grazing areas so I don't build over them. Kid, I wouldn't mind an extra tall size - even with the tall flag when the trees are in full bloom (non-winter time) they can sometimes be difficult to see. What would also help is if the colors were more stark/bright. But none the less, I use the flag mod all the time now to mark out my grazing areas (red) and forester/gatherer boundaries (yellow). Thanks a bunch for the super-quick response in making the mod, I appreciate it!  ;D

EDIT: To make this even more simpler just forget about the various flag heights, just make them all tall/extra tall with bright easily noticeable colors.

(2) Sign Posts - When showing Lynn how I start a game map and set my main roads to start off with I had used the description of "... this is my main street" as in this is the main aertery into and through town and I thought it would be cool if we had sign posts with various names such as "Main Street", "Broadway" and any other neat or significant names common to most countries and in their language.

And then I also had the idea of a multi-directional sign like in the American T.V show M.A.S.H where it showed a sign with various city names on it like New York, San Diego, Chicago, Dallas etc., all pointing in different directions to their faraway homes. But for the Banished world I think they should point to destinations our modders have created like America (CC mod/Kid/Red), Canada (Necora's), Moracco (@angainor88), Japan (@angainor88), Egypt (@RedKetchup), Mexico (@kid1293), Norway/Denmark et al (@Tom Sawyer) and so forth. A cool homage to them I think, eh?  8)

(3) I had a third easy idea when I started this post but already forgot it somehow. I hate my memory! :'(

I wouldn't mind hearing other simple ideas that can be easily added to a game without it affecting the whole eco-system of mods and their sometimes complicated mod-orders. I'm just looking for mods that can be easily added or removed when the mood strikes. What other ideas do some of you have?

Pile on please!  Thanks

EDIT AGAIN: My apologies @RedKetchup I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. It should be in the Suggestions and Mod Ideas section.               
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

brads3

well what she did with the DEBUG is normal. problem is when adding enough bannies to run it. she would find the balance is probably off. as in not enough food and supplies being made each year at least without using the debug constantly.

flags,to me would be very heard to see. what size screen you got ,huge?  CC did make a radius recolor mod that might help some. you could use the debug for this. use it to lay roads around these zones. using the grassy road mod or another road mod,you can use different textures to outline each.  make the roads double or triple wide, so you can see them thru the trees. using the debug ,you could do the same idea with different feces. stone for livestock and farm areas. maybe a high wall fence for some of the others.

i think EB made some signs,not exacly what you want but labels for like gathering buildings and such. with NECORA'S empty space mod, you could dead these zones so nothing can be built there except ghosted items.problem is it will clear the land,no trees or stones.then just take it away when you want to build.

RedKetchup

Quote from: MarkAnthony on September 03, 2020, 05:41:22 PM

EDIT AGAIN: My apologies @RedKetchup I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. It should be in the Suggestions and Mod Ideas section.             

done
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

CookieBarrel

Quote from: MarkAnthony on September 03, 2020, 05:41:22 PM
I accidentally showed her the Debug Menu mod               
It's her party.. she can debug if she wants too!  ;)

While testing mod orders your remark got me thinking. Why not something like a joint game.
You set up the load order, prep the map and set goals (challenges) and she plays it out.
This will help you to remember all the mods you studied last summer, and her to learn the game (with objectives).
Note; get her input on what she would like to accomplish and to pick out some of the mods. Then you pick the rest to help her
   achieve her vision and goals.
This might take awhile but it would be a nice holiday (birthday) gift. For both of you.

Below is a sample of map preparation for starting off.
Items included KidsabadonedPlaces, KidsGhostTown & newmedievalCastle (RK's Ruins) and other Kid stuff.
Raised hedges using DS Celtic Palisade to raise the ground to 0.5

Back to original subject: A ground raising tool 0.25 and up. would be brilliant!

galensgranny

There is nothing wrong with a person wanting to use Debug to make pretty towns, and not actually play the game.  It is fun sometimes to just make nice "pictures". 

Regarding mods that don't matter with load order, basically, all of Kid's mods don't matter where they are in the load order.

Gatherer

Personally I'd like some new markets in the form of normal buildings, not a market stall. Different sizes and different building materials to fit wooden villages or stone and brick towns.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

kid1293

Oh, I felt bad avoiding you all :-X

Map Marker

4 sizes - 8 of each - under Vanilla Toolbar/Remove

:)

brads3

don't feel bad KID. we understand you are busy and we miss the other modders.

Nilla

Here a thing for Mark made by @Tom Sawyer but I can´t find it on his webpage anymore.

MarkAnthony

Yeah for sure - you shouldn't feel bad; there's a life out there for some beyond the room with the computer in it!   :P

Thank you so much for the extra flags! I'll be using those other colors for sure!

They look swell, @kid1293 !

Thanks a bunch.

@Nilla thank you also for the extra file from Tom. You spoke of it briefly "normal vanilla growth, happiness detraction" is there anything else you can recall that the mod adjusts?; just curious.

Thanks

EDIT: I found it Nilla, on Tom's site https://www.banishedventures.com/mods/speed-aging/  It's only purpose is to adjust North 7's built in aging and make aging like it was in the vanilla game. So yes, like you had said to me it could probably be used if playing with Tom's Norseman or IronMan mod (outside of North) and placing the SpeedAging mod above those.

MarkAnthony

@Nilla and @Tom Sawyer ,

Reading the description for the SpeedAging mod on Tom's Banished Ventures site it says specifically, "This mod is meant to set citizen aging in North 7 back to vanilla speed, which is 5 times faster than real time."

My question is do I take this literally? Only the speed at which the Banies age is changed? Or does it also change the Student/Worker, Marriage, Childbearing, and max age parameters too changing them back to vanilla values also? I would like to keep the Norseman or Ironman citizen mod changes but have the actual 5yrs in 1 speed aging that vanilla uses.

Thanks

Nilla

I only tried it once and to that time it had the population values of Northman. But I'm pretty sure that Tom has changed it, because it was very annoying that students stayed the same time in school as in a real time mod and graduated with something like 30 years. :P  :P ::)

MarkAnthony

MarkAnthony

I don't know about you but I play Banished with disasters turned on. When I first started playing Banished, in my first couple of months playing I encountered a couple of fires, several crop infestations, a few sicknesses/diseases, and three tornadoes.

Of those four types of disasters I actually hate the infestations the most, I find them to be annoying. They are easy to fix by just setting the crop field, orchard or pasture to be destroyed (instantly gets rid of the infestation) but I consider that kind of a cheat; so as much as I am annoyed by infestations I let them play out.

The sicknesses/diseases is the second disaster I like the least. It always bugged me that the game speed would automatically drop to 1 speed. I know the game speed drops for any type of disaster but I seem to become aware of it more when diseases hit. I know there is a setting in the game options to stop that and I did change that so it's not as annoying anymore. I don't mind this type of disaster because I kind of like seeing it play out - "How many people will 'Bob' spread this too?; "How long will this last?"; "Is Bob gonna die from this?" lol  :P   So that's the kind of twisted fun I have with this disaster.

Fires! I've only had a few and twice I think the fire spread to an adjacent building but mostly it was only one structure lost. Meh!  ::) Not very exciting. I mean I like seeing "every Banie" in game come out of hiding and run for the water's edge or to the wells like a long chain of ants on parade lol That's fun to watch.  :) But the sad thing is I never got to experience the fires as they were originally before Luke patched that. It was patched I'm assuming because maybe those fires happened too often and/or just the total devastation it caused. I wouldn't mind experiencing more destruction from fires - I mean losing one or two buildings isn't such a huge deal, you know? Even if it took out a fully stocked barn or trade post. It sucks but you could recover quickly except maybe at the very start of the game I guess when the loss would deeply affect your village. So, I like fires but they just hardly ever happen.

Tornadoes!!! My favorite and the most evil of all hehe!  ;D   I am talking about Banished's tornadoes of course and I am not making lightly to those people in real life who have suffered loss and tragedy - I am just talking about the havoc and destruction and the "sitting at the edge of your seat" excitement that the game tornado provides me. I sure wish tornadoes in game happened more frequently! Heck, I wish we could just press a button and say... okay, tornado time!!!  Bring it on! I'm ready!  ??? 8)

Do you get what I mean, the excitement of it, the anticipation? It's like spending hours upon hours setting up thousands, tens of thousands or millions of dominoes and then that final moment you've all been waiting for -  the knocking down of the first piece! Again, I don't know about you but I get bored with my towns pretty quick; I've only had a handful of games where I actually got so involved in them that my populations grew to 300-500. But most of the time long before I get my populations to that size I grow bored or decide upon a different mod setup that I want to try. I would like to give those games I get bored with a proper send off!  Send me a tornado Luke! hehe  Actually, even the games I do get more deeply involved in could use some more fires and tornadoes just to shake things up a bit and knock me out of my complaceny! The thrill factor! lol

So this is my simple request to our distinguished modders - please make an override mod to make the occurrences of fires and tornadoes more likely to happen! And if it is at all possible make it so that if we place it above mods that have their own climates and etc that it won't change those but add to it only. I don't think that would be possible but just in case it is. But yeah, I want thrill added to my games pretty please! ;D   hehe Maybe a mod for fires, one for tornadoes and maybe one that affects both!

Thank you kindly,

Banished2020

I have an idea got it from FrostPunk add a mod allowing u to make Sawdust meals(Meals that are 2 parts sawdust and one part  meat) to conserve supplies during the winter