News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Production Buildings, Labor, and Manpower

Started by Chon Waen, February 22, 2015, 05:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chon Waen

O.K. I read somewhere that a fully functioning standard brewery produces 500 units of ale per year.
I also know that if this is the case, the brewery puts out 50 production cycles of 10units of ale in that same year.

Based on this information:

How does this translate into work units per cycle?  ie "One brewery batch takes 30 work units"

How does having more workers at a building affect work units? Is it a straight "One worker completes 100 work units a month, 2 complete 200, and 4 complete 400 (as an example). Or is there a diminishing return for more workers?

Finally, what are the minimum and maximum number of work units you can assign a production task?

I know work units do not take into account material collection time which will vary depending on how far workers have to travel for supplies. 

I ask these questions because when I make a production based Mod suggestion in the future, I'd like to be able to give solid input/output/worker/work unit numbers in my suggestion to attempt to help design balanced mods.  I may not be able to run the modding software, and my drawing skills are just about good enough to make stick figures, but I'm pretty good at the maths, and what performance I want out of a particular building.

Also, anyone know what the size/weights of most objects are in regards to buildings?  For instance, if I'm not mistaken one unit of firewood in the TP takes up significantly more space than one unit of Ale.

If there are links somewhere so you don't have to reinvent the wheel for me, that would be great too!

RedKetchup

i can maybe give you the weight of resources when i ll have time.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Quote from: Chon Waen on February 22, 2015, 05:53:31 PMAlso, anyone know what the size/weights of most objects are in regards to buildings?

I made me some charts a while ago - maybe they help for starters?

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

Chon Waen

Chon Waen

Now back to the other part of the question: production cycles and times for production buildings.

Please correct me if any of these assumptions are wrong.
1) Production buildings work more or less like builders do
  a) first, materials are collected and brought to site in a quantity to do multiple batches
  b) a quantity of work units are assigned to the task and the job gets done by worker actions performed by all workers present (more workers have a multiplicative effect)
  c)once a cycle completes, if there are available resources a new cycle begins.
  d) if there are insufficient resources available, the building workers drop the product off in an access square (read road), and goes off to find more ingredients.  If one or more ingredients are not available the icon shows up over the building and the workers there act as laborers until the resource becomes available.

Have I got this right?

RedKetchup

Nilla

You mentioned breweries at the beginning. As far as I know, there is a small exception; The ale isn't "dropped". It stays in the brewery, until someone consume it there or a trader get it. This also mean that the brewer doesn't get any new fruit, if there is too much ale left.

rkelly17

Quote from: Chon Waen on February 26, 2015, 12:48:36 AM
  d) if there are insufficient resources available, the building workers drop the product off in an access square (read road), and goes off to find more ingredients.

I think in some cases that the worker(s) place the products directly in a storage facility. For example, fishers take the fish to the closest barn or market. That's one reason to build barns or yards as close as possible to the production location. The other is that quick access to materials speeds production.

RedKetchup

but i think because barns dont accept ale :P so it stay there cause thats the only place that can store ale.
maybe i m wrong, i didnt really checked, thats a thought.

Chon Waen

First off, thanks to @Nilla  , @rkelly17 , and @RedKetchup  for the corrections on storage/dropoff mechanics

O.K. So with a few exceptions, the major factors of production rate for any created production building are:
1) work units per cycle
2) number of workers at the building
3) distance for material drop-off and pick up
4) distance for worker replenishment (home, food, etc)
5) stockpiles of materials to be produced.

Factors 3-5 are based on overall town layout.  1-2 are based on the production facility itself.
So, when designing a balanced production facility for the game it should be based on factors 3-5 being minimally impactive:
Market/storage right next to facility, home nearby, and plenty of raw materials available at those places.

Next, we need to determine how to tweak factors 1 and 2 to give a balanced output that is neither over nor under powered.
In order to determine this, we need to know:
1) Given an optimal position to maximize work activity, how many work units can an individual worker accomplish in a year?
2) What is the value added per production cycle? (output units x output price)-(input units x input price)
3) What is the desired amount of worker value added per year?

As an example:  You want a facility that generates a trade good valued at 5 units each.  You also want it to house 2 workers max.  You want total inputs to be valued at about half of what the output's value is (2.5), and you want your workers to generate about 1200 value added per worker per year. 
This means you want to generate 2400 value added by the facility per year, which means you need 4800 value in output. (output-input, remember?).
At a value of 5 each, this means you want to make 960 of these trade goods a year.  Based on an assumption that you want to make 20 units per batch, this means you want 48 cycles completed.  So <x>cycles possible a year x 2 workers divided by 48 desired cycles/year is the number of work cycles you should assign to the building.

You can adjust between number of cycles and units per batch using the formula [ batches per year x units per batch = units per year]

Is all of this more or less accurate? and Finally, can anyone tell me approximately how many work units a bannie completes in a game year?  With that vital piece of information, you can make well designed and balanced production buildings for just about ANYTHING in this game!!!

RedKetchup

thats i dont know. i know there are code lines that set the amount of work to make 1 unit. but i dont know how long (in game time ) it is.

take the blacksmith. the code is:

int _workRequired = 5;

to make both iron tools and steel tools

the tailor =    int _workRequired = 5;
The woodcutter = no mentions at all ( i dunno if there is a default value )

Chon Waen

Hmm... and the tavern also has int_workRequired = 5?

RedKetchup

Chon Waen

So taverns have a work of 10, and if I'm not mistaken, put out 10 units of Ale a batch, and i read somewhere that they can (provided you are draining them rapidly to a TP) produce about 500 units a year. With one worker. So this translates to roughly 500 work units/year. Coats and tools are usually each produced in batches of 2, yes? 500 work units divided by 5 is 100 batches, so about 200 coats made a year per tailor sound about right? Tools about the same?