News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BETA : New Medieval Castle : Beta v 0.1 - Walls

Started by RedKetchup, April 21, 2015, 07:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chillzz

Quote from: paralias on April 22, 2015, 06:28:50 AM
you should turn the bridge planks vertical to the stone edges. i think it will look better... and you should make 2 -3 different gates a normal one and a bridge gate
yes, the bridge planks could look better if done like attached picture.
it's hard to have wooden planks that long curve as nicely as the arch if they had such skill back then.

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

RedKetchup

you should turn the bridge planks vertical to the stone edges. i think it will look better... and you should make 2 -3 different gates a normal one and a bridge gate

yeah will do :) thx for the model.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

Quote from: chillzz on April 22, 2015, 06:42:38 AM
yes, the bridge planks could look better if done like attached picture.
it's hard to have wooden planks that long curve as nicely as the arch if they had such skill back then.

yeah . they way i did the wood planks was the too easy way... gonna check that next time

RedKetchup

Quote from: chillzz on April 22, 2015, 06:24:32 AM
Wow nice stuff @RedKetchup

At first the walls look quite tall, but compared to the buildings 1st,2nd 3rd floors they are indeed in a good ratio / perspective.

are you planning on larger gates / entrances ? (2 or 3 road tiles wide)

at start , i made 1x1 tiles width, but more i was giving some height and more it look too frail and too much thin, and the wall was even barely hiting the roof of 1 floor only.
when you compare to lvl 2 and lvl 3 floor .... the wall were looking like a little stone fence, not a wall.

so i had to put 3 tiles width to get more height.
now it look better and give better ratio, but still, the lvl 3 floors are way more high than that, but it gives a good perspective :)

My inspiration model :
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/castle-walls-3d-model/370659

not the same... but idea for all the parapet details come from there, or at least, what i tried to do and how it ended to look as it did ^^
not easy to make those details ^^

Paeng

I'm not really sure about that arched bridge - seems to be a strange way to build? To transport goods or animals across that "hump" would be pretty hard...  :)

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

chillzz

lol, true @Paeng .. but it's actually not an uncommon type of bridge. see attached image of an italian one.

by the way, in one other topic you showed of the new medieval stores together with stone roads and some flowerbeds/hedges.. which mod do have those :O 

RedKetchup

keep in mind guys, it is not really ' a bridge '. yes it is a bridge but it is a 'wall' first. i did it to expand the walls over the rivers with something, that bridge-towers,

i will also do some real bridges at some point.

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on April 22, 2015, 03:55:04 PM
keep in mind guys, it is not really ' a bridge '. yes it is a bridge but it is a 'wall' first. i did it to expand the walls over the rivers with something, that bridge-towers,

i will also do some real bridges at some point.
`
thats what i thought too..

by the way, it does look like the wall stays the same height, whether you build it on 'sea level' or mountain..
quite impressed!

RedKetchup

Quote from: chillzz on April 22, 2015, 04:16:05 PM

by the way, it does look like the wall stays the same height, whether you build it on 'sea level' or mountain..
quite impressed!

yes. all those are built at ground level. and they dont level down the ground. you can even succeed to burrow completly the wall into mountains.... if you can find mountain enough high to do it :)

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on April 22, 2015, 04:20:12 PM
yes. all those are built at ground level. and they dont level down the ground. you can even succeed to burrow completly the wall into mountains.... if you can find mountain enough high to do it :)
Nice :D especially for aesthetics..
real life 'protection' by those walls would be a no-no of course ;)

RedKetchup

^^ the tooltips say it protect your citizems... but we all know there is any threat ^^

but wondering if can be good to keep .... deers in an defined area ^^

RedKetchup

Quote from: Paeng on April 22, 2015, 02:44:27 PM
I'm not really sure about that arched bridge - seems to be a strange way to build? To transport goods or animals across that "hump" would be pretty hard...  :)

but your first picture @Paeng  is very interesting :) because it looks like walls on the ground... and you have the bridge ontop of those walls....
very interesting :)

what do you think would be the best way to get those citizens with goods (like wheelborrow) to go 'up' on these walls ? a ramp ? an elevator ?
(the problem with elevator.... we cannot have building animations and have the citizen standing while a certain platform go down and up ^^)

chillzz

Quote from: RedKetchup on April 22, 2015, 05:45:34 PM
^^ the tooltips say it protect your citizems... but we all know there is any threat ^^

but wondering if can be good to keep .... deers in an defined area ^^
ghehehe luckily banished is a game, not real life ;)
else they would walk upon the mountain then climb the short distance to the wall and conquer the city.

Quote from: RedKetchup on April 22, 2015, 06:00:00 PM
but your first picture @Paeng  is very interesting :) because it looks like walls on the ground... and you have the bridge ontop of those walls....
very interesting :)

what do you think would be the best way to get those citizens with goods (like wheelborrow) to go 'up' on these walls ? a ramp ? an elevator ?
(the problem with elevator.... we cannot have building animations and have the citizen standing while a certain platform go down and up ^^)
indeed does it look like a wall, with a bridge. but zooming in, you can see another arch behind the green bushes/trees.
It is a larger bridge system over a river / maud.

it's Conwy Castle ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conwy_Castle )

ramp (visible outside one part of the wall, or invisible -inside the wall- ) i guess

RedKetchup

so tonight i was taking good times to make a double door entrance. i spent alot of time on it cause at start i made it 9 tiles width... but at the end , i deleted those two 3x3 each side and keep it in a 3x3 width because anyway, we would put walls - straight each side anyways,
(screenshot 1 : outside)

the only thing, like you will see in the screenshot, the door isnt just 3x3 , but more longer 3x7 cause the add i made and the stairs...
so i was wondering instead to have stairs both side (outside and inside) i should just put the stairs outside. (and have roads up to the wall inside and not have lost spaces)

but as you will see it also, you can also put 'wall - corners' which look great too (screenshot 2: inside)

chillzz