News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

A poor decision

Started by michaelrym, October 11, 2014, 09:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

The phone is as unconnected as it can be, and up to a few months ago I had a probably 10 years old phone :D Also use some addons and other software to prevent the worst intrusions/trackings, but I'm under no illusions.

The treatment of Snowden in the US right now is disgusting, but hopefully he'll get more respect in the future for the sacrifice he made for the betterment of society and the strengthening of privacy rights. Some of the stuff that has come out is jawdropping.

Those errors annoy me too, but not nearly as much as "would of" and such. Then you have the people who won't use a comma or period if their life depended on it. I'm not sure if it's the type of sites I visit or not, but the level of English literacy seems to have gone through the floor over the last decade :( The odd thing is that foreign people seem to be better at English than natives.

michaelrym

Couldn't agree more about the level of English literacy going through the floor. Another pet peeve of mine is the custom of misspelling first names in order to appear original.
All right, enough, got to get back to all the 'shoulds' awaiting me today.

A Nonny Moose

English is my first language and as such I appreciate its dynamic quality.  The last time I looked, over 10 years ago, the OED was up to 800,000 entries, some of them very technical and esoteric.  Finding google as a verb doesn't disturb me in the least.

I also have a smattering of three French dialects, a tiny amount of Spanish, German and Italian, and a pretty good handle on vernacular Latin (not learned in school).

Now, about the wandering labourers.  I think the explanation of the queueing is probably the correct one.  The interesting thing about this program is the meticulous attention to detail in the sprites.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Mahnogard

Quote from: Pangaea on October 13, 2014, 12:57:24 AM
It saddens me that "google" has become a verb :( Don't people know how they operate, nor care about privacy?
--------------

It's a great game, though, and I'm sure I'll go back to playing it one day. Civ 5 can take a running jump off a cliff for all I care, but I loved Civ 4  8)

I know exactly how they operate, and they are the least of my concerns. But that's my situation, everyone has to choose for themselves.

As for Civ, I'm the opposite. I love 3 and 5, absolutely hated 4. Last year I ended up with it due to a bundle purchase, so I recently thought, "You know, time changes perception, so I should install it and give it another shot." So I did, and I still don't like it. I don't dislike it as vehemently as before, but I don't want to play it.

Back to laborers -

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 13, 2014, 08:47:01 AM
Now, about the wandering labourers.  I think the explanation of the queueing is probably the correct one.  The interesting thing about this program is the meticulous attention to detail in the sprites.

Last night while playing, it occurred to me that the point at which laborer management stops being a bit bothersome is when I have about 30 laborers. But it's me, not them - by that point, I usually have decent food levels in storage, some crops growing, the essential workplaces are going, and I start to get into a pattern based on the seasons. There's a rhythm to it, and once that starts, things seem to get so much easier for me.

rkelly17

I love it! I love how much everyone cares about speaking and writing clearly in whatever languages one uses. Curmudgeons of the world unite! Throw off your chains!  :D

I love every edition of Civ from the original to 5 Each has its own quirks. At first I wasn't sure about 5, but it has certainly grown on me. As it happens, my computer upgrade decisions have often been based on whether the new edition of Civ or Sim City (except the last) can be played on my present machine. If not, well, it's (proper use of apostrophe, eh?  ;) ) time to upgrade.

Pangaea

I'm into role playing games too, and the computer I had before was less than pleased when I tried to start up Witcher 2 on it. Quite convinced smoke billowed out from its sides ;D As it turned out, I didn't much fancy Witcher 2 when I was able to run it, the first was much better, but at least I have a new PC now, which can run games very well. Probably a "poor decision", but it has worked out okay after all.

I had to search for "curmudgeon" ;)

salamander

Quote from: Pangaea on October 13, 2014, 10:31:45 AM

Apparently, according to my wife and co-workers, I became one  a couple of years ago.  Once you're established as a curmudgeon, though, it really cuts back on the amount of apologizing you have to do.  ;)

rkelly17

Quote from: salamander on October 13, 2014, 10:44:23 AM
Quote from: Pangaea on October 13, 2014, 10:31:45 AM

Apparently, according to my wife and co-workers, I became one  a couple of years ago.  Once you're established as a curmudgeon, though, it really cuts back on the amount of apologizing you have to do.  ;)

Absolutely! It took me years to develop the necessary characteristics, but it was all worth it in the end.

What is the difference between "crazy" and "eccentric"? Either $1,000,000 or a PhD. I didn't have the million, so I went for the PhD. Now I get to dress however I please, forget whatever I want and act weird whenever it suits my fancy. What a life!

salamander

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 13, 2014, 11:29:08 AM
What is the difference between "crazy" and "eccentric"? Either $1,000,000 or a PhD. I didn't have the million, so I went for the PhD. Now I get to dress however I please, forget whatever I want and act weird whenever it suits my fancy. What a life!

I went your way, and now I wear (at least once the weather starts cooling off) hoodie sweat shirts, blue jeans and tennis shoes to class and all the meetings I'm obligated to attend.  So far, no one has said anything about my wardrobe choices, but I'm just waiting for the day that happens.  ;)

slink

My graduate adviser kept a necktie in his desk drawer, for wearing to meetings.  However, he often wore sweaters with no shirt underneath so he just knotted the necktie around his neck and wore it over the sweater.   ;D

slink

I thought a curmudgeon had to be a bachelor male?  Maybe there is hope for me, if not.   ;D

irrelevant

I think most of us here are pretty curmudgeonly ;)

salamander

Quote from: slink on October 13, 2014, 11:58:53 AM
I thought a curmudgeon had to be a bachelor male?  Maybe there is hope for me, if not.   ;D

My wife (after an actual legal ceremony) would say you might be incorrect about the bachelor part.  I think a large part of being a curmudgeon is not being willing to put up with BS.  :)

slink

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 13, 2014, 11:58:53 AM
Quote from: slink on October 13, 2014, 12:06:11 PM
Oh, sign me up, then. ;D

Oh, absolutely not. Just ask my wife and daughters! And I have a good friend who proves that one cannot be sexist about who can and can't be a curmudgeon. Curmudgeonness is both a gift and a skill which can be developed. Even those of us who have the gift have to keep practicing or we lose the touch. I'm sure you are up to it, @slink, so consider yourself duly signed up.

Quote from: salamander on October 13, 2014, 12:03:46 PM
My wife (after an actual legal ceremony) would say you might be incorrect about the bachelor part.  I think a large part of being a curmudgeon is not being willing to put up with BS.  :)

Though being a curmudgeon does not preclude the production of said commodity on a regular basis as necessary.

;D