News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-testing the North6

Started by Nilla, December 10, 2017, 04:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

i usually debug in a couple plank bridges for the nomads when that happens.TOM won't let you do that though. i figure anyone can throw a dead log across the creek or some stones even.it is a long ways to send builders and by then the nomads would die. i do think the next batch will come from the same spot. generally that has been the case but some mods do change it up depending on what you build. RED's lighthouse was known to do that as you add a trading post or a townhall. the bannies will make the hike as long as they can cross the rivers without starving. standing still waiting for the builder will give them time to starve though.
they will not work as laborers or nothing since they have no tools yet. i also think they have to finish their hike to the nomad catcher,be it the townhall,well,etc.

Tom Sawyer

Yes, that's a problem of the vanilla church. It has not the right points in model and the game cannot define a suitable spawning location. It doesn't happen with the wooden chapel and every new church. Actually I find it a funny exception and it's written in the description that they come from far away and sometimes need bridges to reach the town. In this special case I'm not sure if a bridge would help but you could try to build a secluded settlement there. :)

Nilla

I've built the bridge, and yes; it worked. I didn't see, where they appeared, but they arrived at the church, as they should. Thanks @RedKetchup. I wonder why such problems have happened so seldom to me in all my games before. I can only remember a few times. Luck I suppose.

In this special game it doesn't matter anymore. I will not take any more nomads. In fact I think I've let the population grow too high already. I'm not sure, if it's possible to support a growing population on this small piece of land. My plan was to play "old times" to a population of around 400, then build schools and start some industries. But I'm not sure it will work this way. 400 people is done; no big problem. But to get a part of the population educated, will take "for ever", at least very long. And this game is far from a self runner. There's still some very necessary micromanagement needed. Without starting the harvest manually, they would all starve to death in a few years. In a "harsh" climate, the harvest more or less ought to be done, at the point it would start automatically. I use to start it at the beginning of August. I also send people out in the woods to collect berries and firewood, maybe not needed, but far less work than the harvest.

Norseman

I've been thinking a bit about the settings for this "real time mod". I can now write about how it works, in a society without education. This will probably not be the normal case, so take these conclusions for what they are. But some things are probably general.

The combination real time ageing and few nomads often at the chapel, works well. The game has a "flow". You can develop the settlement continuously. I use to have issues with real time mods. The gameplay gets too slow for me, but I don't feel that way in this game. So I wouldn´t complain all too much, if you made this "standard" for the North, @Tom Sawyer. ;)

Are there any problems?  Not really, but these are the things, that I find a little bit disturbing:

1. There are much more 1 person families than in a vanilla game. You need more houses, more firewood, and it's harder to plan the development. This because;
- Young adults occupying houses by themselves.
- Many widows/widowers finds no partner in a suitable age.

Could something be done to change this? I don't like a marrying age of 10 but maybe it could be set down to 14 or 15 instead of 16. The childbirth age mustn't be set lower. The house would be full of children anyway. Maybe also the age of getting adult could be raised a year. But I'm not sure how this would work with schools. There would still be young adults living alone but at least this would shorten the time.

The age difference of marriages shouldn't be set lower than the vanilla 20 years. People start to die of old age earlier here. That's alright. The average age in the "old times" were lower than that. But people can be old here too. But a 55 year old widow doesn't take a 71 year old widower. I wouldn't mind, if it was raised a bit more than 20. But not so much, that a 50 year old widow takes a 16 year old husband. A possible higher age difference would also increase the chances of people, who lost a partner in accents, to get remarried.

2. Age of the nomads.

When the settlement is small, there's always one nomad couple, later they may have children. The adults have been between 20 and 40. A couple may have an agedifference of 20 years here. The woman of my first 3 couples were all above 30. Two of them 38 and 39 only became one child. This wasn't very nice at the beginning, as I wanted many children. Could the age of arriving nomads be set? If it could, I would prefere them to 20-30. This would also give the couples a more similar age; less young widowed person.

Pictures

Here's my "monastery" area. There's now a school and the houses are different and more in "order" than in the rest of the village. There will also be production of bricks and glass. This is historically correct, monasteries often spread new technologies.

You can see the food graph. If you play "harsh", a big store of food is necessary. There have been 3 bad years (cold) in a row.

brads3

hmmm,your complaint with the age situtation sounds like it is mainly the singles moving out from the parents.my understanding is TOM has set the variables similar to the propertime mod.did you overplay it?? did you move bannies out at the youngest age possable? what is your adult or student age,your marry and child bearing ages?

in propertime,the children become laborers or go to school at 10,at 16 they marry or move together.this works out so by the time they finish school,they are ready to start families.in a normal play i hold off building houses until i have 16 yr old females.that allows for the female to have children.it isn't foolproof,sometimes a single male will take a house. i have seen the younger sister take it instead as well. distance from their work seems to matter.
      without education,you could force the bannies to move out at the younger age.however,they will be single and not bear children for several years.in the short run,you have children in the parents house,but in the long run is it costing you?? you might delay the move together and new children. you also are paying by havig to stock more houses. in the harsh north,you must use resources more carefully.
     did,NILLA play a 1:1 game at  8x speed? you are used to playing vanilla speed so planned houses according to that.you also normally educate children. with your micro-managing,i think the slpwer age would suit you once you are used to it.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on January 12, 2018, 04:39:14 AM
I've built the bridge, and yes; it worked. I didn't see, where they appeared, but they arrived at the church, as they should. Thanks @RedKetchup. I wonder why such problems have happened so seldom to me in all my games before. I can only remember a few times. Luck I suppose.

they will pass every creeks if needed, they will run between every mountains/lakes if needed, but they will never cross and swim the main river. :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Tom Sawyer

Finally Nilla will be convinced to real time and not playing strange speed aging anymore.^^ Solved by early nomads and now well balanced I think. Your idea to reduce the gap between moving out and moving together of uneducated youngsters should work. I will try some values. And the marriage range I will set to 20 years. The age of nomads cannot be defined. But of course you can pick only the young sweet couples and send away old people back into the cold where they will find a cruel end for sure. Up to you. ;D

Hawk

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 12, 2018, 03:10:15 PM
send away old people back into the cold where they will find a cruel end for sure.

Hey! Me being one of those 'old people' (66), I'm not so sure I like that idea. LOL! Just kidding;D
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Turis

You could try to use the mod oneyearisoneyear. Children become adults at 6 and marry at 7. Although, pregnancy won't come until 15.

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on January 12, 2018, 12:54:09 PM
they will pass every creeks if needed, they will run between every mountains/lakes if needed, but they will never cross and swim the main river. :)

I've been thinking a bit , why I have seen so seldom, that nomads get stuck somewhere. I think I know why. Normally I'm no big "nomad taker". In most games nomads are more trouble than help. This is different, I need the nomads, otherwise it would have been much too slow at the beginning.

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 12, 2018, 03:10:15 PM
Finally Nilla will be convinced to real time and not playing strange speed aging anymore.^^ Solved by early nomads and now well balanced I think. Your idea to reduce the gap between moving out and moving together of uneducated youngsters should work. I will try some values. And the marriage range I will set to 20 years. The age of nomads cannot be defined. But of course you can pick only the young sweet couples and send away old people back into the cold where they will find a cruel end for sure. Up to you. ;D

Convinced is maybe a little bit excessive. I did say that I wouldn't complain ALL TOO MUCH, if you would make Norsemen standard. ;)

Unfortunately, you don't know the age and gender of the nomads before you take them, so if I say "yes", I will be stuck with the 39 year old woman with her 21 year old husband. They will only get one child and he will soon be a very young widower, occupying a house by himself for a long time. But this is the game. Obstacles are made to defeat! :) And luckily, real adults like you and me @Hawk (and several others in this community), don't get out on the roads, to find a new home, at least not in Banished.

Quote from: Turis on January 12, 2018, 03:56:47 PM
You could try to use the mod oneyearisoneyear. Children become adults at 6 and marry at 7. Although, pregnancy won't come until 15.

I have tried that mod, but there are things, I don't like about it; the young marrying age above all. I prefere these one-person-housholds. If it's possible to shorten the time down, I think it's the best compromise, I've seen.

Turis

Well, there's one thing I always do when playing. I only build houses for single females not for males. Males stay at home unless they marry and move to their wives. Until then, they stay at their parents' home.

brads3

what is your max age? that would fix the widow issue.  the versiojn of propertime i use allows bannies to 75-85. if you check the change log,the 1:1 mod does have some different versions also.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Turis on January 13, 2018, 10:05:29 AM
Well, there's one thing I always do when playing. I only build houses for single females not for males. Males stay at home unless they marry and move to their wives. Until then, they stay at their parents' home.

i guess in their parents' basement ? ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Quote from: Turis on January 13, 2018, 10:05:29 AM

How do you make the single females move out? If I build a house and want one of my 16-20 years old females move there, I bet, an 11 year old male or female moves into it.

But I actually think @brads3 said something; that distance to work also have an influence on who will move into a house. I think this might very well be an explanation to the fact, I just described. I expand the settlement in more or less one direction. The children who were born first, live more far away from the new house than younger children. I had two sisters 20 and 18 who didn't want to move out even though I built more houses than usual. They didn't move out, until one of the singel young men became 16 and wanted a wife.

Quote from: brads3 on January 13, 2018, 10:08:59 AM
what is your max age? that would fix the widow issue.  the versiojn of propertime i use allows bannies to 75-85. if you check the change log,the 1:1 mod does have some different versions also.

They start to die of old age in their late 50s, but I had at least one 80 years old, but @Tom Sawyer can answer this better.

Turis

In my games, most of the times, the first born is female. I always play Anders and Ella. If a male comes first then I'll do it with them.

brads3

they are bannies not people. you got to think weird to figure them out. ;D