News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Re: Nilla - Brockfisheck; a new medieval town - 6000 people on a medium map

Started by Nilla, June 01, 2015, 04:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I was away for some time but now I'm back and yesterday evening, I couldn't resist it any more; I started a new town!  ;)

Sometimes I find, that I have played enough Banished; that there are no challenges left, nothing more to explore. But this game certainly is quite addictive and as long as our friend @RedKetchup produces his mods in a steady stream, there is always something new. (Yes I have seen that it's also a new version of the CC mod but you might have noticed that I'm not a big fan of that mod, some things are very nice but others destroy the fun for me. Maybe the new version is better, I might try that one too, some day)

Now to this new game. As always, I have set some limitations and made myself some "special rules". In my last game I had some trouble with the small medieval markets. In this game I will explore them to the limit and build no barns and no normal market (or maybe one market, I might want some nomads). I will build no normal houses and I will take the first random medium map.

First picture

Map and mods. Not much free space for a medium map, but it will do. I'm not using many mods, just the one I want to test and the really useful ones. I'm not really interested in castles and walls, but the canals seem very nice, so I have loaded that mod.

Second picture

Start. Look at these people! Too lazy to put the food in the wagon! (It's far from full). @irrelevant and @Trizeropz have logistic problems in the 5000+ settlements, what will come later if mine start with 17 people.  :o ??? ;)

Third picture

Not only lazy, the men are also very choosy as they take a woman. First Camilton (22) didn't want the "elder" Deloisa (24) nor the young builder Coralia (19). He hooked up with the student Izabela (16). Than the tragedy; Nanner died of child birth. Her widower Ever (35) didn't take one of these women eather, he choose the 17 year old student Belena. Early mid life crisis, or what? Or maybe the men aren't good enough for these two women. We'll never know. But we will know, that there will be no new babies in these houses for a while.  :(

Fourth picture

The settlement develops. I now have a fruit- a meat- a general- and a hardware-store. I must keep an eye on the chart (the only storage space for herbs and clothing at present). When it's getting full, I let a vendor get the stuff to his store.

RedKetchup

sweet i will follow your blog :)
btw, you dont need flatten tool if you use NMC, it is included inside :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 01, 2015, 07:35:04 AM
sweet i will follow your blog :)
btw, you dont need flatten tool if you use NMC, it is included inside :)

Thank you, I'll remember that the next time. I seldom use it anyhow.

I have started to build one canal. I want to connect the river with the stream and build a trading port at the lake not connected to the river. Just to try it. But I have one problem: It seems like I downloaded the first version and now I have the problems with the bridge. Is it possible to change the versions in an existing game? Must do something special?

Except for the canal bridge, the game goes on very well. I have decided to add one more "special rule" that will make it a little bit harder: I will take every single nomad. (Yes I have built one normal market but that's it). Farming seems to be a bit tricky without barns. It happens quite often that I cannot harvest everything. I will look at it more carefully the next years.

I even forgot to make some screenshots last night. I will play more tonight and add some.

One last thing: You told me once @RedKetchup that you didn't change anything with the pie. But you have! The productivity is lower, maybe 1200 instead of 1800 for a good bakery and the trading value is now 6 (instead of 8 ). Still very profitable but now more reasonable compared to other things.  :)

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on June 02, 2015, 05:19:10 AM
I have started to build one canal. I want to connect the river with the stream and build a trading port at the lake not connected to the river. Just to try it. But I have one problem: It seems like I downloaded the first version and now I have the problems with the bridge. Is it possible to change the versions in an existing game? Must do something special?

You can use the new version on a map started with the old version. The old version has a single-wide bridge and you can see grass underneath it. When you load the game with the new version the bridge will look double-wide but will still not work. You need to destroy it and the neighboring straight piece, level with the canal leveling tool, deconstruct the leveling marks, and build the new bridge. Then all will be well. And you get the neat squiggle walk on the new bridge.  ;D

Nilla

THX. To be sure I will demolish the bridge and the neighbour pieces before I change the version.

RedKetchup

before or after it all good, till you do it.

Nilla

I have changed the versions. It worked. The canal works. The trading port on the lake far away from the river works. The new medieval trading ports work. I even made some screenshots!  ;D

First picture

This is where I started yesterday. Here's my starting trading area. I have decided to export pie , firewood and some meat products. There's a slight apple shortage, so at this time I was making cakes for export. Not quite as profitable as pie, but also good.  I also tried bread production, but that's not very profitable. The productivity is low and the profit of each bread not very high.

Second picture

The canal with a bridge is finished. You can see what I wanted it for: Connect the lake far away from the river to the trading system. And it works!

As soon as there were 150 inhabitants and the big boats arrived, there were enough apples to start the pie production.

Third picture

I'm sorry; there are a lot of open windows on this picture, but maybe it also shows a bit how I play banished. The open windows represent things I want to check carefully:

- I just took some nomads, so I'm building a lot of new homes. I want to build enough houses, but not too many, so I keep an eye on who moves in, and if necessary; I stop the construction.

- As I said in my last thread I have some productivity problems with my farms. That's why I keep an extra eye on some farmers. I can say; they are doing a lot of labour stuff "picking up resources" is the favourite. I just saw one farmer far away from home, carrying a few pies during harvest. Why?

- I still check the content of my initial chart. It's a very good help, to know, if you need another store. It's more difficult to play with only small markets, than with barns. Of cause, you need enough to store your supply, but you can not build too many. The vendors don't steal  from each other, so if you build too many markets; the distribution of the supply will not work.

Now to what I really wanted to show with this picture:

I built a medieval trading port next to the lake-TP. Compared to the original port, as always with your buildings @RedKetchup, your TP looks great! I wanted it to look extra nice, so I finished with a canal-end. But it doesn't look nice. The canal is interrupted by some land. Did i do something wrong? If not; it would maybe be a good idea to take a look at the graphic, if it's not too hard. It's not necessary to build an end next to the port, not worth a lot of work, but as I said; I think it would look nice, if it was possible.

I demolished the end and put a meat store there instead. It looks great, too. :-\ ;)

Fourth picture

I built another one on the main river. Not such a good idea! (I know it's not made to be put there, but I wanted to test it). First I must say it works perfect, you can see the merchant. But the boats on the river don't care about it, and runs through it, as if it wasn't there and the end doesn't look nice eather.

chillzz

your towns always look wonderful and your blogs are always very descriptive and interesting to read @Nilla :)
about the land after the trade port.. raise it on one side, then add a 1 canal piece or bridge which will dig out that last piece et voila! done ;)
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

RedKetchup

yup.

also my medieval TP arent intended to be placed on a river ^^

chillzz

@RedKetchup thats what she already said ;)
and how it's placed is actually quit good / logical ..
just one canal piece between the tp and canal end and it's the most amazing port you'll see ;)

RedKetchup

yeah screenshot 3 is awesome, just need to get rid of this ground in middle of the canal :)

Brugle

Quote from: Nilla on June 03, 2015, 03:38:41 AM
- As I said in my last thread I have some productivity problems with my farms. That's why I keep an extra eye on some farmers. I can say; they are doing a lot of labour stuff "picking up resources" is the favourite. I just saw one farmer far away from home, carrying a few pies during harvest. Why?
That seems to be how the game works.  Lots of people (my guess is anyone) can do laborer stuff.  I just saw a fisherman (who had been one for months) drop off some materials at a barn that was on the other side of the map from the wharf.  I don't know what causes people to be assigned laborer work, perhaps if the amount of laborer jobs is large enough or if something in it is old enough.

Nilla

Quote from: chillzz on June 03, 2015, 04:54:35 AM
your towns always look wonderful and your blogs are always very descriptive and interesting to read @Nilla :)

Thank you for the nice words. But I don't think you should "blame" the look of the settlement so much on me." Blame it" on the designer of the buildings. It's hard to build something ugly with the NMT-mod. ;) At least as long as you stick to how it was meant to be used.

Quote from: chillzz on June 03, 2015, 04:54:35 AM
about the land after the trade port.. raise it on one side, then add a 1 canal piece or bridge which will dig out that last piece et voila! done ;)

I had that thought at my first port, too but there wasn't enough space to do that and I'm quite happy with my meat market. But I just added it to my second NMT-port. Now it looks better. The "under water part" and the buildings, that hang in the air, still look odd. I think it would have been better if I had built the port a little bit more inland. I will make some more experiments when I need more ports. At the moment I have too many, so it will have to wait.

chillzz

Quote from: Nilla on June 03, 2015, 02:29:06 PM
Thank you for the nice words. But I don't think you should "blame" the look of the settlement so much on me." Blame it" on the designer of the buildings. It's hard to build something ugly with the NMT-mod. ;) At least as long as you stick to how it was meant to be used.
Heh! true, but he knows we love it already.. and your towns without NMT look good too !

Quote from: Nilla on June 03, 2015, 02:29:06 PM
I had that thought at my first port, too but there wasn't enough space to do that and I'm quite happy with my meat market. But I just added it to my second NMT-port. Now it looks better. The "under water part" and the buildings, that hang in the air, still look odd. I think it would have been better if I had built the port a little bit more inland. I will make some more experiments when I need more ports. At the moment I have too many, so it will have to wait.
yeah the underwater part is due the fact it's too close to the river / creek, so the particle effect of game water will interfere. Like it is underwater.. if you move it more inland, with a few canal pieces before, it will look better, nothing under water at all.

RedKetchup

oh with time she will learn how to use them :)