News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Embx61 Work in progress

Started by embx61, May 02, 2017, 06:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

embx61

Still did not work

Depending on how the plant was placed out of the 4 direction variations it still sometime flattened the ground.

As the grasses, flowers from RedKetchup and my rocks did not raise the ground I knew it had to be something small we overlooked,

I did a compare of 1 template file of a Kid plant and 1 of my own.

The stringtables/spritesheet links were of course different and then I saw what it could be.

See below:

CreatePlacedDescription createplaced
{
PathBits _placeBitArray
[
Normal | Obstacle,
Normal | Obstacle | Fast | Faster,
]
int _width = 0;
int _height = 0;
int _footprintRotation = 0;

String _placeBitmap =
"0";       <======================================================= Kid has this set to 1 (Road)

ComponentDescription _allowAndRemove = "Template/Clear.rsc";
}

MapDescription map
{
PathType _pathType = Immovable;
String _pathBitmap =
"#";      <===================================================== Kid has this set to .  (Road)

bool _addToOverhead = true;
Color _mapColor = 0xFF545454;
}

I understand why Kid did it this way as so players can build a road underneath his deco plants or put his deco plants on a road.
It however still raises the floor in certain situations. As explained below

The only way I got it working was by having the plant on the outside edge between the outside irrigation soil and the in game grass texture and then use the T Key to spin the plant into the soil.
Then it will not raise the ground. If the plant is put inside the water and spin around on the soil it raises the ground.

I did a test and recompiled Kids Sources and in 4 Template files made changes as seen in the code above.
Recompiled and loaded in a test game and the result is that it does not matter how you spin. The ground will never get raised.

It is even still possible to build a road beneath the placed Kid plants if so desired or place the ghosted plants on a road. :)

Kid, as I have your sources I will change the Template files of the plants/trees with the above little code changes and send you a link so you download the edited sources, compile them and upload them again.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

kid1293

embx61

Send you the sources already through PM :)

embx61

The raised ground issue in Kid's Deco Pack is fixed so the set is compatible with the Natural irrigation Channels :)

I uploaded a newer version of the Natural Channels where all the decoration ghosted items are stripped out of.

I compiled and uploaded a new Mod called "EBIrrigationDecoAddon" which contains all the Deco items but stripped the 10 plants I used from Kid's sources as to have doubles if using Kid's Deco Pack makes no sense.

I recommend to download and install Kid's Deco pack Version 2.1 so to have a lot of decorated plants to place by the Irrigation Channels but can of course be used by itself as well.

I plan to add some more decoration stuff to the Deco Addon set in the near future.

embx61

Testing some stuff in a attempt to make the channels even more natural.

Get rid of the straight wooden boards and make the channel slopes not straight but a bit wavy.

So far made two F key variants but going to create about 4 of them to avoid to much repetition and do some tests if it looks okay in the game.
poly count is still okay (74 poly's) on 1 variant and I try to do the build very simple (just a straight plane) to save on poly's.

Maybe I can squeeze another F Key variant in and push it to 5 or even 6 and still stay below 1000 poly's for 5 to 6 variants.

The connecting at the ends need to be at the same X, Y , Z of all the pieces but that is not problematic to do.
If it works out I will make all the pieces in 4 to 6 F Key variants and make a complete new set out of it.

kid1293

Definitely the way to go!

You raise the bar several notches with those edges.

Abandoned

oh my, I agree, those edges are wonderful, much more natural looking.  :)

embx61

Lot of work to be done but it will be worth it in the end I think.

Because I stretch the texture when moving the vertices around I have to stitch them all in the UVW map and that takes some time.
Need a new soil texture too BTW.

I testing also a little curve into the ground from the plane on the outer edges so the outer edges will be bit wavy too.
I also will attempt a rounded curve to make @Paeng happy. No promise as digging is a pain to do with curves as it is all squarry but I will attempt it.

As the pumps are on wooden platform boards I don't have to remake those at least if I just add the set to the existing Natural Channels :)

What you guys think, shall I make a new mod out of it or just add it to the natural under a new button?
A new mod has the drawback the pumps, connectors, NMT canal pieces, will be all doubles if players load both mods.

Adding it to the Natural Set under a new button will avoid this and so saves quite some poly's.
I personally think this is the way to go all under one mod with just more options.

Abandoned

I would think either both together under one mod or 2 separate mods that are each complete on there own, not that player would have to use 2 separate mods together. If player forget one they would be missing pieces.  Separate though the pumps could be made to look more natural too though.  :) Player could choose to use one mod or the other.

embx61

@Abandoned

Sure, both ways are possible.

I always try to save as much as possible on poly count. Because of the many round cylinders used in the pumps meshes they are about average 2200 poly's each. If I make it into a separate mod it will add about 12000 poly's and added the pieces to the set will save those 12000 poly's.

It will not add that much to the set if I combine them. About 15 pieces, 1x straight, 2x straight, 2 corners, maybe 2 curves if I can get that to work, 2 3 ways, 2 4 ways, 2 end pieces, 2 culverts, and a bridge.  with 5 variants each (1 variant is about 150 poly's including the build stage) will be about 5x 150 x 15 = about 11000 poly's for the whole set without any pumps and just 1 extra texture. With the pumps, connectors, NMT canals pieces, it easily add another 12000 poly's + 3 extra textures.

I understand the Channels are natural but even in the real world pumps, water lifts, Archimedes screws, etc. where used and build by the people in natural channels as the terrain height is not the same so at some places the water needed to be lifted up.
Natural channels is a bit of a misnomer as they where still dug in most cases. Natural looking is I think a better term and just means they just dug a channel without boarding it on the sides :)

Paeng

Quote from: embx61 on June 26, 2017, 10:15:49 AMshall I make a new mod out of it or just add it to the natural under a new button?

Why not just have these wavy pieces replace the current straight pieces in the "Natural" set? It's an improvement, so to me there is no real need to make an additional set?  :)

And indeed, pumps, lifts and screws can just be maintained as is - man-made structures...   ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

embx61

O yes, of course that is indeed the best way.

I think if this set is released not many going to play the old set anyway anymore :)

I keep the old meshes though as maybe in the future make them into a Town Canals Mod for those who want to dress up their towns with small water ways :).

Well, that problem is solved and going to attempt after getting a full pot of coffee ready to do a curve dig (Fingers crossed)

ancientmuse

@embx61

I"m loving all the plant and rock decors you made for these natural canals.... having a blast decorating all over my little towns making everything look all purdy, and not just around the canals either.  I've discovered that by combining the flowers and grasses in different directions over top of one another really makes things look natural.

I'm spending all my time decorating with plants in every nook and cranny instead of watching over my bannies jobs and needs.  LOL

Happy flowers everywhere.

Thank you !

;D

embx61

Thank you @ancientmuse

Credit for the flowers and the grass are RedKetchup's though. They can be found in his Garden Wall Utility Mod and I just lifted some of them out of his sources.
Scaled and pruned them a bit, renamed all the files and that was it :)

And indeed some stuff can be put on top of another as they are all ghosted. Do you play with Kids Deco Pack Mod?

We made it work so it not raising the ground anymore so the mod can be used with the Channels.
Lots of plants, scrubs and some trees are found in his mod and it complement the channels well and the items can of course be used anywhere on the map.

ancientmuse

Yup, I have kid's deco pack and I upgraded it late last night to the new changes he made so it will work with your irrigation set.

Everything works really nice together.

I've yet to try to grow any of Red's fodder/flowers.... guess I should try that one of these days if and when I'm able to get my towns big enough to set up a full grow operation.

LOL