News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BRAD'S SETTLING OF AMERICA SERIES 3: DS industry-RKEC tests

Started by brads3, September 05, 2019, 05:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Oh no, I don´t say adding mods makes the game easy. Where did you get that? It may, but it may also make it more difficult. You can say nothing in general about that.

I agree with @MarkAnthony; if you really want to get a feeling for DS mods, use only his mods. You don´t even need to bother about mod order. He has made recommendations and they work. Personally, I wouldn´t dare to play it the way you do, with such a large uneducated workforce. You know, you lose the half by each step you are processing in many sites, and 2 steps losing the half each time doesn´t mean you lose 50 % in total, it means you lose 75 % if uneducated workers do the job, and maybe something is processed 3 times, and there will not be much left. It´s pretty brutal.

brads3

i am going to load cannons to defend the city from you 2 trying to burn it down. if that doesnt work, RED will make catapults. NILLA you said something similar about mods in your Pharoah map.

yes,i have noticed the DS processors get heavily affected by the uneducated. when i use TOMs nodic climate,i have to send the smart workers to grow food.i have noticed lately, the builder is slower and i need to stock sites then increase builders. i think both  RED's and DS mods change the builder if he isn't educated.  as nomads arrive, it makes sence to send them to mine or some processing project.like the 1st couple went to making linen clothing. with the DSIM, the penalty is huge for using nomads that way.

a lot of the DSIM buidings will probably go with the train north of the river. this 1 little mine mountain near the workcamp wont be able to fit many mines. a long ways to go before i get to the north mine mountain.

brads3

YEAR 13

we will need iron.we send the workers out looking for iron ore.we haven't seen much of it.the builder will work on a small DS iron ore mine.i have other options but i want to use the DS buildings for now.we will try to build workplaces ahead of nomad arrivals.next a mid-sized bloomery smelter will be set near the mine. the laborers have found more iron ore. it is hard to locate the ore threw the trees, so i sent them out to a few large areas to search.they  bring back stone and food as well. 

our builder got excited for a minute. he thought he caught the trees on fire while moving supplies for it.was no fire just odd smoke and shadows on the trees.i tried to take a pic of this but then the fire went out.

this is suppose to be a valley map. we are at the edge of the Carolina foothills.there are very few hills. each mine has to be carefully dug to give as much space for others as possable. RK deer are very timid and spook easily.they have ran off deep into the forests.  the DS smoke scared away all KID's wild bison. as such huntiong is not good here at all. the hunter has gone 2 years without a kill.we will live on fish. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YEAR 14

we need to improve trading. i woud rather build the farm trading post to bring both seed and livestock. the curve of the river won't allow it to fit. a small RH trading post for seed only will be constructed. the new trading post can be stocked with linen coats and just enough flax to negotiate some trade deals.

9 nomads arrived.5 adults,a 10yr old girl,and 3 8yr old children.1 will smelt the irorn ore and 2 will work the small mine.they will work together to build 3 DS hovels. a 23yr old male stayed at the boardinghouse.we hoped he might  move in with our single 21yr od female.rumor is she is dating the hunter. she did have a baby boy at the end of winter which adds to the gossip.

pic 1: DS iron ore mine and bloomery
pic 2:RH seed  trading post
pic 3: DS hovels

brads3

YEAR 15

since the worker was uneducated,we ony got 11 iron from the bloomery. took longer to build it, than he worked it even.we have plans for some of the iron so we will need to rebuild the bloomery.

i know other players frown on this but it does work. an od 1.06 industrial market will be used as a center for the mine workers.a DS mine overseer will be added and more storage will be needed.the industrial market will help move logs from the forest and store stone,minerals, and iron.it will need a food market and some 1.07 storage.

ouch, i don't like this condensed menu for the overseer. it is small and doesn't give us production numbers. the building style is nice and fits well with a mine camp.

we will need to build a house next year. there is a couple in the boardinghouse since the remaing nomad took a graduate for a wife.

pic 1: inventory and limits
pic 2: bloomery rebuild,
pic 3: indutrial marktet
pic 4: overseer  small menu,note the lack of snow  on the buiding footprint of the overseer and well.

brads3

YEAR 16

Nilla will scowl at me with the uneducated production losses.let's ignore that for this map.since this is primarily DS,i will stumble around to figure out what these buildings do and what materials i need to build them. i'll make adjustments between maps and do things different.for now, i want to continue using nomads for these mine and processors even thou it will mean lower outputs. we will need more workers to to work the mine village before adding many buildings.

we will need more food to handle more workers.the newlywed couple will move near the church and add another field.a few more storage sheds will be put to use.

this iron bloomery is going to drive me nuts. i think DS did that on purpose.we need to rebuild it again already.behind it we choose a larger bloomery. we don't have fuel for a furnace nor enough materials to build it. the blacksmith can process the iron so fast. the way it is setup the builder does all the work. hence it ties him up from other jobs.i'll drop the bloomery to use 1 builder.

the combo gardener will work to clear trees around the mine center. a mixture of crates and barrels are set near the overseer and a CC food cart has been added.

pic 1:newly wed couple and new field
pic 2: larger bloomery,the BS empties these so fast.like all the work is done by the builder.
pic 3:mine gardener and CC food cart

Nilla

I already had, once is enough, so no more comments on low production and fast disappearing raw materials.............you´ve noticed it yourself. Maybe you can try the old trick and only settle "newlywed" graduated students in areas where you plan to build your metal industrial buildings. It isn´t foolproof, but better than to locate newly arrived nomads in such houses.

Yes, the rebuilding and demolition of the bloomeries and charcoal piles are annoying. You need more builders than you usually use. It´s good advice to save materials to build a blast furnace soon.

brads3

i debated the idea of using the educated workers for production areas. game-wise that would work. my habit from using TOMs nordic mod is to send the educated to work fields. plus it makes sence that new help would be sent with assignments.a group to mine,another to cut logs,group to build factories,etc. the game doesn't allow that thou. DS has made a penalty for using the uneducated workers. much more lost production than normal.

we are saving a variety of items. from what i see and from playing CC before, i need 3 buildings to get 1 going. need clay and pottery to even build the furnces and better mines. so far i keep stopping myself from using different mod options. i do think most of the DS buildings will go north of the river with a railroad.

brads3

YEAR 17

We made our 1st trade for 3 red dairy cows. a 10x25 pasture will be cleared by the lake.during the winter we traded for oat seed.
        a hearth is built to make copper tools for the miners.the bloomery worker switches from smelting iron to this.he and the builder worked hard for the 28 iron that is stored.

we had our 1st death. a lady died during child birth.

pic 1: 1st trade
pic 2: pasture
pic 3: DS hearth

brads3

YEAR 18

our 3rd trade is for iron.we take in 30 iron.we also acquire rasberry seed for our 4th trade.

2 oat fields are planted and 2 potatoes.we clear our 5th field and an orchard. we add a textile market to the RK market set.work begins on a townhall.

YEAR 19

THE teacher died during child birth.the new teacher moved into the former teacher's home and adopted her children.health is down to 2 and a half hearts. i wonder if that  caused the teachers death. our diets will improve soon.

this map is being stingy with nomads.that is slowing down progress. i have used the time to look over the DS toolbars. to build 1workplace it appears we need at least 2 others, which we don't have enough workers to support.i have tried to use more of the DS buildings and mines. if we run short of iron and stone, i may have to use some other options.

the laborers collect about 1500 food.they didn't collect any this year.they were busy trying to find stone. we will need to send more to fish the lake to make up for our hunting.after 2 good years of trading, we are behind on clothing. we are holding a mixture of items.some we have processed and some we are unsure where we might need it.

pic 1: 5th field
pic 2: future townhall
pic 3: health check

brads3

YEAR 20 REVIEW

population 69,half are adult workers. 52% educated in 17 houses.health down to 2 hearts and happiness down a half star. we have almost 2 years of food stored.we make copper tools, repair with stone,and still have 23 iron tools stored. the construction yard has made lumber,roof tiles,bricks,and glass. we have had 2 vendors off and on woring between the many markets to keep goods mving.these and the trade posts have been micro managed.

we had 2 sets of nomads during the last 10 years.we did expect the old Landing Fort to send a lot more help.mostof the merchants that stop are lost and trying to find their way back to the Fort.they carry tropical seeds,fancier goods,and odd trinkets. we did acquire 2 seeds,red cows,and some iron. those erchants came from a faming town called Campbell. they had no news either on where our help was.since the Landing Fort was established more wild animals had been seen waundering out of the forests.bears and wild boars have multiplied considerably since the Old Landing Fort was built.

we have added 1 forest,1mine,and improved the trading. our blacksmiths have tried some smelting of iron and copper.
even without much help we managed to expand and accomplish our goals for the last 10 years.

hopefully the next 10 years goes even better.  we need more to fish the lake more.a mill and bakery will stretch the food.we will soon need a way to increase stone. much depends on how much help arrives. i'd like to get another mine dug into the mountain.hopefully there is room for 3 or 4.we also want a quarry to dig stone from the lake. we will extend the farming across the north shore of the lake.we will need another school and a trade good for the CC dock trading post.
if we can get 2 groups of 10+ nomads, we will speed up the progress.

pic 1: stats
pic 2: production
pic 3: inventory
pic 4: citizen graph
pic 5: RK market stock

Nilla

Have you any idea what mod is overriding the DS happiness system? Or do you have some trick? I can see nothing on your mod list that seems to have that effect but it´s also obvious that your Bannis aren´t affected from the DS Industrial Mining when it comes to happiness. Whats´s even weirder is that they seem to be affected by the harder health. When I play, not many can reach more than 3 stars without alcohol close and also within the circle of a hospital with a doctor, but you seem to have none of them.

brads3

good question. that is a hard 1 to answere. the health has dropped in soe houses ore than others.i think it is both the job and house related. happiness is similar.both should drop the production. in some workplaces, they seems to have more affect than others. there is a church and cemetary. the bad circle of the construction yard doesn't overlap a house. it is a small circle. the bannies do have a variety of food but in tiny amounts. i sent the vendor hoping he would bring back more from the forest. the laborers do gather food in different spots to force them to drop it closer to town and the trading area. i don't think the propertime mod is affecting the happiness. the safety od should make less deaths but not override health or happiness.

i saw your health and happiness drops. my thinking is as far as yours dropped, the town should have gotten sick and been dying. that is why i kept thinking there should have been a way to slow the drop. the bannies being excited to be in a new area to explore should have kept the happy a year. the longer they were happy and healthy the more tie you would have to work to avoid a hard drop. it ust be challenging to the modders to try to code the happiness and health effects and keep a balance. the ore the modders experient with those the better the game will be. they do make it interesting.

the ultimate way would be for TOM's education system and happiness and add in DS's health.but change the alcohol back to TOM's juice idea.
that way the bannies don't drink all the alcohol and burn up food.and since the children drink the alcohol it akes more sence. yea yeah i am dreaming. can any of that be done? it would take about 5 huge tests.as you see now it is hard to tell when another mod offsets or adds to those affects.

am i right that TOM changed the education of farmers in 1 North mod and changed the ale away from alcohol to food in a different North version?  and even then will his settings over ride a different modded tavern's alcohol?

brads3

YEAR 20

it does pay to play ahead and keep save points.i found an issue with KID's WW cottage not storing charcoal. the trader and his family's haleth have dropped and he is much slower at stocking supplies.the CC cart was stocking everything but food.i want to replay this year and solve get some firewood moved for the trader and build a small EB food market for the mining center.another weird thing happened. the flax is reversed on the trading post menu from the townhall menu.we were sending flax that was needed for clothing instead of the DS flax.now maybe the trader will work harder.

in late spring 13 nomads arrive.9 adults and 4 children,4 families and a 10 yr old laborer.2 couples will move to the mine area.2 will work the iron ore mine.the other 2 couples will move to the north lake shore. as young workers move in, we will add more houses.

a larger group had been sent prior to this 1 but never arrived to us.the Landing Fort was expanding and needed more workers.in his letter, the fort general apologized and promised to send more groups soon.

we cleared a 2nd orchard and built a RK dock fishing pier.

the firewood charcoal issue is affecting the DS hovels also. i will need to find a way to deal with this charcoal.     

pic 1: charcoal issue, not storing in soe houses including the DS hovels
pic 2: EB food market for the miners
pic 3: main wood chopper to supply the trade area
pic 4: RK fishing dock

brads3

the last year was replayed and a year or so later was also.the bannies worked to solve the charcoal issue. they stocked the RK mrket with more firewood and worked to use up the charcoal. in the process, i forgot they needed lumber in the mine and ran that behind.

tools and clothing are behind.food production is decent. the main market vendors seem slower at stocking them as well. i can't sat exactly why.is it the education penalty from the DS mod or from the health dropoff? if it was just education, i would think food would suffer more. even with the DS ablove most mods,it is like it skipped over the RK and affects the other mods.

i am stumbling around. progress is very slow.at this rate it, will take a 100 years to get this map where i want it to be. that is starting to frustrate me as it is more time than i want to commit with this mod order.

after a few days, i decided it was time to reorganize the mod order. i don't like changing maps mid game. the DS buildings with the RK railroad was to go north of the main river.it would have taken a long time to get there and we woud have to fight for iron the whole way.it became a tug-of-war between what i could do,what i wanted to do,and what made sence.  i was trying to use DS buildings more than other mods.yet we didn't have the space in the mine mountian nor the population to support them.

i mainly wanted to use the DSIM above the RK get see how the mod works.my long term idea was always to add the DSIM to the RKEC. it took longer than i expected to move some mods. i do have confidence now that the mod order is better organized and the Gremlins are caged up. it should work much better. with a base set up to the mod order it will be easier to move mods in and out or adjust things.

Artfactial

Very informative run on what DSIM does to the game, exciting stuff.:)