News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

EMBX61's New Work in Progress Thread

Started by embx61, June 04, 2018, 05:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

embx61

I think the original in Rio is made out of concrete and was made between 1922 and 1931 but in the Bannie world stone will have to do with some added wood and iron.

It will be just wonder what gives some spirit happiness but not with fire  this time. I wish I could place it on a mountain but the heights of the mountains are different on each map so hard to find a good median so just on the ground will be best I think.
Beside that the builders are not allowed to go up the mountains so it never will be build so it has to be a ghosted or free to build piece to go around that but players will have to look around and juggle a lot to get it on the right height mountain so it noty sink to deep or not start floating. I think too much hassle to go for that.
Some of the limitations of Banished we cannot get around.

Although you would not think this statue is about 25K poly.
I made the pedestal from scratch as the original was over 2.3k poly for something that simple. There are some modifiers in 3ds max to optimize but many times it makes the statues awefull.

I think I have a mesh laying around somewhere of a Brandenburger Tor and have to dig it up and see what can be done with it.
Most of those meshes are pretty high poly but as wonder with only 1 building per map it will work for most players.
Most come without textures and mapping of statues is not that easy as mapping a building.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

brads3

i was going to say there is a way. CC has the fort towers that do work on hills. the bottoms are like stilts.those can't be built on flat ground thou.i think you are right that you won't see the build steps. it is race day cause it got rained out sunday so i won't check to be sure.i do thnk they are included with the frontier addon mod.

embx61

I know it is possible but players can not place it just anywhere they want.
The mountain need to be as high as the bottom of the statues pedestal.
That the pedestal maybe sink in a bit is okay but floating or half the statue disappearing in a mountain looks just silly.

Even when i put stilts under it and the stilts show because the mountain is too low it will look weird to have a massive statue sitting on some stilts.

Stilts are not even needed. I can just let the statue float at a certain height and let the players find a good spot.
But what if there is no good spot on that map? On the ground is not possible anymore because the statue will float.

I think too much hassle for the player I think.

rkelly17

Quote from: embx61 on September 10, 2018, 08:33:09 AM
Something like this?

Yes, exactly. And yes it will and should eat up a lot of stone and labor, since the point is to be a late-game goal that you only accomplish when you have lots of people and lots of resources. Just too bad that Banished won't allow it to be built on top of a mountain.

Maybe WOB denizens from around the world can suggest their favorite giant statue or other such monuments for consideration so we have a world-wide selection of possibilities.

Kimbolton

I am really enjoying all the statues you have added to the game. I would definitely love to see something like the Brandenburg Gate if you get around to it. :)

QuoteJust a personal thing I want to share. :)

Beautiful, hope you are doing okay.

embx61

I am doing okay @Kimbolton. Thanks

While working on all those monuments and statues which my beloved wife would have loved too I was just brainstorming for a way to put her in the game she loved so much.

A statue what looks like her is not easy to find so i edited a photo I use as avatar in Photo Shop so it looks like it is sketched/painted with soft pastel colors.
Then added a book as she loved to read. I still working on it on and off and want to add two candles and a probably a rose.

She liked green and red so those are the marble colors I used.
As she cannot play the game anymore I found a way to put her in it :)

I am looking for the Brandenburger Tor in my files as I know I have it somewhere.

brads3

EB when i asked you about monument mods i should have said monuental or big achievements. i didn't mean for you to work so hard. they do look super thou.if you keep going, you can do  the wonders from civ 5.

embx61

To be honest the meshes are downloaded ones so I have to clean them up a bit, make the build stages, AO mapping, and write the code so they fit Banished.
So in a certain way it goes a bit faster then designing from scratch.

Only the poly count are mostly not really low for those kind of meshes.

But it are wonders, monuments, landmarks, or whatever and I allow only 1 of each to be placed on a map so it will be okay for most players.
Players can always give feedback about build costs and stuff. They are not really cheap to build but not really expansive either but I just threw the numbers in.       
I am not sure players want monuments what takes thousands of stone, logs, iron to build for just a bit of spirit happiness.

Next will be a set of about 4 or 5 more small ghosted statues and if I can find the Brandenburger Tor mesh I will make a mod out of that too.
Still working on other stuff like the pottery chain, fish wagon, a fountain on and off so to not get burned out by doing the same kind of stuff over and over.

embx61

Found the old mesh I found in 2016 but it was way over 600.000poly  ???

Looked on the WWW and found one which is almost a 1/3 the size of the first one :)
Still a lot of poly like 188.500 poly.

Most of the poly is in the horses on top of the building when I separated that part from the mesh and that part alone is almost 100.000 poly so more then half of the total.

I have to see if I can optimize that part without distorting it too much. I can also get rid of that whole part but the horses are a major part of the Tor so rather leave them in.
I shall tomorrow write the code and see how it performs in a test game.
Hopefully even with that much poly it will be okay as 5 Cristo Redentor statues will be the same amount of polies as the Tor.

The Brandenburger Tor in 3ds Max :)
http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/474_10_09_18_7_39_58.jpeg

Kimbolton

RedKetchup

wow thats so nice !!! you have really a gift to find those !!!
btw, can you find me an egyptian pyramid that look as great ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

taniu

@embx61 :D @RedKetchup  : :D Thank you for kind words - a man feels better when someone is so nice and supports me spiritually, even though we live in a different part of the world - I'm still very weak, fortunately I feel better, I was in the hospital. I'm already home - I'm very happy that I can go back to Banished @ embx61 - I also want to console you with all my heart - I'm counting on you - you're very talented. Returning to the last model - the Brandenburg Gate is beautiful - in fact, we have beautiful monuments from around the world - it is difficult to choose something and look for the right model - you have the gift of searching such models - "pearls". I will be patiently waiting for other mods you are currently working on - the quote "Next will be a collection of about 4 or 5 other small figures, and if I can find the net Brandenburger Tor, I will make it a mod.
He's still working on the potter's chain, the trolley with the fish and the fountain "- that's very good news - I'm very happy. Cheers!

embx61

Between modding sessions I mostly surf the web for inspiration and to clear the head.
Sometimes I do a search for a specific thing I want to look at in google and look at the pictures for inspiration.
Sometimes there are 3d models as well as those pictures and so go that site.
I mostly end up at sites as Turbosquid, archive3d, free3dmodels, rigmodels, and some more and then have to look through many free models they have.

I look through models what they ask hundreds of dollars for and sometimes some are free which are very nice.
Lots of sites let you set a filter on free so are a bit easier to find free stuff.

Sometimes it can take hours to find something nice between a lot of models they have and sometimes I not really looking and just browsing through pages of free models and stumble on a nice one. The Founding Father monument what in real is the monument of Alexander II of Russia was a example of this.

Then it is a question of downloading and see what come with it like textures. Some do but many don't have the textures included. Many sites not give the poly count either and after downloading and importing in max I see something like it is 1 million poly. LOL
Mostly 3d models which are scans and/or are for 3d printing are very high poly.

If I stumble on a pyramid I for sure will download it and send it to you Red.
taniu modding is a big hobby of my since I started back in 2015 and as long as it is fun I keep modding and I am glad you doing better.

embx61

Wrote the code for the Brandenburger Tor and loaded it in game and the whole mesh was screwed up.
In 3ds Max it all looks fine but either the export to fbx or the Banished game engine cannot handle a object with so much poly. (over 170.000 poly)
Most are in the horses and chariot at the top (Almost 100.000)

I tried a lot of stuff like export to object and reimport but nothing helps.

I suspect the game engine cannot handle a object with that much poly as it must be possible to export a high poly object to fbx in 3ds max.

I going to redo the whole mesh from scratch with the original mesh as a guide for scale and placing of objects.
I all ready detached 1 column and with the rings and the square boxes at the bottom and top. The whole column is 1988 poly.
When i remade the column from scratch it is 151 poly.
Little rectangle boxes are 60 poly while it can do with 6 poly. Much is beveled what is not needed at the scale for Banished.
So I have to go through all the objects, detach them, remake them and copy paste them at the right places and then deleting the originals.

This going take a fair bit and i will look for a lower poly chariot and horses as well as almost 100.000 poly is just way too much.

This going to be a project were I work on and of but it will be done one day :)
On the picture the orange column made by me in place. The little red block is 60 poly and can be made so it is 6 poly.

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/474_11_09_18_5_30_51.jpeg
Re: EMBX61's New Work in Progress Thread
Re: EMBX61's New Work in Progress Thread

RedKetchup

yeah i ending to redo and copy everything i can find. those people dont care about the polygons count they just want to look nice ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .