News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Here's how to use the priority tool

Started by irrelevant, July 03, 2014, 04:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

You have a small clearing project you just thought of. In my case, I realized that one of my Woodchoppers' stockpile was in the way and needed to be removed. To do that I need a new stockpile on the other side of the Chopper. It's one of those where you have to cut trees first, five of them in this case.

So I laid it out, and fired the Woodchopper, who now became a laborer. I hit the planned stockpile with the priority tool, and unpaused. Instantly the ex-woodchopper jumped out and started cutting trees. An adjacent farmer whose crop had just finished also jumped in, and in about 20 seconds on 2X the new stockpile was done.

Then, without pausing, I marked the stockpile I wanted removed for demolition, and hit it with the priority tool, and those same two instantly went over and commenced to moving resources to the new stockpile.

Be sure to wait for the new stockpile to complete before you mark the old stockpile for demolition. Otherwise I believe that a different stockpile likely will be selected as the destination.

salamander

A small question -- when you're using the priority tool on a stockpile or other building, do you have to mark out an area with the tool to cover the whole building footprint, or can you just click somewhere in the footprint?

rkelly17

Quote from: salamander on July 05, 2014, 04:38:02 AM
A small question -- when you're using the priority tool on a stockpile or other building, do you have to mark out an area with the tool to cover the whole building footprint, or can you just click somewhere in the footprint?

I have used it both ways depending on what I want the citizens to do. When clearing a field I will often just highlight the one, last pile of logs that has been sitting there a long time waiting for someone to pick it up. Not sure whether that actually makes a difference, though. I know that you can mark particular piles of stuff when it is just sitting beside the road or out on bare land and someone will come get it.

irrelevant

@salamander  Just one double-click in the footprint. You don't have to expand the selection.

salamander

@rkelly17 and @irrelevant -- Thanks, that's helpful.  I really haven't used the priority tool too much, but now that I'm starting to expand into some more remote areas, it could come in handy to keep things moving.  I also didn't know you could prioritize individual baskets etc... left laying around.

RedKetchup

if cause i see my farmers not doing their jobs and hold their back with 2 hands.... i ll use the priority tool and select all the field(s) completly, and do it 5-6 times in a row, i will also insult them and if i could slap them in the face i would do it too.......

but for a stockpile i ll only select the stockpile mostly , doing once ... a pack of trees or stone..... i will do a big huge select to cover all trees/stone. and if it s a bucklet of food forgortten on a field or a wood on a building being construct... i ll just select the 1x1 square ressource.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

The priority tool can be quite important, especially if you have just given the laborers a big resource harvesting job to do and then realize you really need a certain building NOW. Instead of canceling the resource job, just highlight the construction site with the priority tool and the laborers will do that first. Of course, I highlight and highlight and highlight even though it probably has no effect. I feel like I'm doing something.

salamander

Now *that's* good to know.  I can't tell you how many times I've set a clearing job for laborers only to wish I hadn't set it quite so large.

As far as whether using the priority tool does any good: it's all in the perception, just like a good placebo.  :D

RedKetchup

oh if you highlight a buiding to be made..... all dépends if you have all the mats , and also keep in mind the citizens which are rightaway put on your new top task can be very very far, like the other side of the map, so it can takes time before they arrive.

RavenSteele

I know this is a dumb question, but which color denotes a success when using the priority tool?  It will produce either green or red depending on what cycle the building is in.  I've noticed that it always stays green when highlighting resources on the ground, so I'm assuming green is the color.  The remove tools show in red, but I'm guessing that's just unique to that tool set.

So that being said, I noticed in another post somewhere someone said to increase the priority on your farms and orchards when early spring starts to ensure your farmers will always drop what their doing for planting.  But almost all my farms produce a red cursor at this time.  I have to use the priority tool in late autumn for it to turn green.  As far as I can tell, it is working...but then again it could just be coincidence :)

Also, for buildings the cursor never turn green for me once resources have been gathered, only between placing the building and gathering the resources.

Just curious if anyone knows for sure...

Edit: after further experimentation I now believe it turns red when used correctly :/

rkelly17

I'm pretty sure that red indicates that the priority tool has highlighted those squares. I could be wrong, though.

RedKetchup

Red will be a success to put the job back on top. (keep in mind, citizens will do first what he was going to do already) also keep in mind for some classes have a range and wont go further than his range circle.

Green means nothing will happends and nothing can be prioritized in the selection you did.

some tiles 'red' and some tiles 'green' : all seleted tiles red will be prioritized and everything that stayed green will have nothing more happends.

irrelevant

Sometimes when you try to prioritize farms the selection is green, and sometimes it is red. I can't recall under what circumstances, but I think it might be that in winter you can't prioritize them because nothing is happening, but come spring you can.

RedKetchup

yup exactly @irrelevant you cant 'prioritize' a crop in winter and 'cannot currently worked'

RavenSteele

Thank you for the clarification.  After experimenting more I did realize red is the magic color!