News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla--Funsted; Industry Mining in the North

Started by Nilla, June 12, 2018, 01:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Once more @Tom Sawyer, for people from not so developed football countries ;)  There's a World Cup going on in Russia, where the World Champions from the last time had to go home after the first round. But we are still in. I'm not talking about ice hockey! It was earlier this spring. (If I would talk about icehockey; I could ask, which country might be World Champions for the second time in a row? ....Canada? ...No..... USA?... No.....Russia?......No ;) ) But no, this time I'm talking about football. Not the girls, the guys! I can't imagine, that we will go very far, but since football is a popular sport and we seldom qualify at all, we are pretty crazy about it, at the moment! :) :P

I didn't knew about selling alcohol to the timber merchant. I only produce some ale for domestic use in the ale house. I've even forgotten, that you can build a vanilla brewery in the North. I guess it's not much use in this game where I need to buy all this food, but I'll think about it in some other game.

To penning; I don't think, that I would use fish as small coin now, when we have silver worth 10. You have changed the value of daler several times, so I'm not sure, but wasn't the daler worth 50 to the time I used the fish? It would not be a good idea, to put penning and daler together. I look very much at the daler limit in this game and I want to know, how much money I have in the bank. Daler and penning together make the limit useless. If you only play the North silver and penning flagged together would be less problematic. But I'm not so sure, if you also produce silver. All in all, I would find, the least problem would be to take them away. I promise; no fish, at least as long as there are silver worth 10! ;)

Interesting what you say about lampoil, limits and going crazy @Tom Sawyer. I think I now understand why my upgraded iron mine from @Discrepancy didn't work (I wrote about it in the thread about Industrial Mining in the North). There must be a limited store that's reached with a lot of lampoil. There ´s simply no more space for the logs and the workers go crazy! After emptying it of lampoil, it now works as it should again.

I also played the game some more years tonight. The extra trading ports made it work better. I'll soon have my 1000 inhabitants. :)

Finally @brads3 in year 101; all educated! :)

Tom Sawyer

Haha thanks for the reminder, now it feels properly beaten.^^

The dalers were worth 1000 in one version, when I tried to make a historical currency system, 50 it was not. But yes, you used fish while we did not have the small silver pieces for trading. In the industrial time I don't like merchants to have to deal with hacksilver anymore, so a suitable set of coins should be available. Of course, joining currency items with different values in one flag makes the counter useless. That should be considered then.

For this mine it's the cause for sure. The capacity should be higher than the amount of materials all miners can carry in at the same time. If 10 miners can be added, it should have at least 1200 storage capacity to take also some logs. Better to define just more than enough space. To avoid overfilling the mine with lamp oil, it can get a higher weight, that miners take only 50 or 30 oil at once. Or an option can be added to "Empty the mine". To free oil and logs when it's desperately needed somewhere else and to not have to do the fake-demolishing trick.

Nilla

I'm not sure, that it's a  good idea to increase the weight of lamp oil, at least not much. It would also need more space in the stores. If I have unemployed farmers in winter, I like to produce some lampoil in the workplace, and store it until I need it much later in the game. Not so nice, if it takes a lot of space away in the small stores, you have to build, before you have glass.

I like very much the idea of an "empty the mine button". In this town with the many mines, I could have used it from time to time, when there was no lampoil left in the stores, very much in some mines and nothing in other.

Anyhow I now have 1000 inhabitants, with food, some daler and a lot of tools in my stores. So, yes with enough ports the idea of an industrial settlement in the North works. With some better balanced industrial buildings, it would work even better, or rather make more fun, because you could also produce other industrial products than tools.

I used one thing, that I find a "cheating trick" at the end of the game; I bought iron and coke and produced tools without the early, less profitable steps. The settlement would have survived also without this trick. I just wanted to test, if it was possible to get enough material, and I can say; yes, it is. Many merchants bring 500 iron and some bring 2000 coke, so I didn't even have to order much. This is a possible shortcut, I don't like in a challenging combination of mods like North and Industrial Mining.

It comes to this because some steps in the chain are quite unprofitable and they have to be compensated by a higher profit by the endproduct. The chain works fine with a reasonable profit, if you produce everything yourself. But if you can buy some intermediate products, it gets too profitable. Some examples; (profit for one worker each year in this settlement with modded happines system)

iron bloom; 0
iron ore; 900
coal; 600
coke; 800
iron, blast furnace; 1900
steeltools; 4200
hardened tools; 5400
steeltools ordered iron+coke 3200
hardened tools, ordered iron and coke; 4400

It's good, that you can buy iron and/or charcoal/coke. If you're short on tools, and no merchant bring some, at least it's an alternative to buy iron and produce some fast. I would rather like to make it less profitable to buy the materials. I have tried to change the values, but nothing works well. I only see two ways to go, if you want to close this shortcut; reduce the amount of iron and/or charcoal and coke a merchant can bring or rework the production numbers and values completely for the whole chain and give each step a more similar profit. I would say; reduce the amount of iron, coke and charcoal by the merchants, is the easiest way to go. As I said; as long as you produce everything, it's a well working chain with a reasonable profit. A lot of work to change it and get it "right" in a small farming society, as well as in a large industrial settlement.

A question to @Discrepancy; do we really need the "hardened tools" as alternative? What were your thoughts as you made it an option? The difference between them and steel tools is small, if you produce them for your Bannis to use. The largest difference ; the export profit is higher, if you're importing the raw materials. If you introduce new products, I like them to have a purpose, not only just "diversity". I don't see this purpose by the hardened tools.

I'll just show some picture with different menus from this settlement. Yes they are all from this same town. ;)

Gatherer

The picture with the small fenced off village surrounded by pastures is my favourite of this town of yours.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.