News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Separate communities

Started by A Nonny Moose, March 05, 2015, 12:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

I've developed a style of developing communities (ghettos?) in my "village".  Once things start to look like the village will stay alive, I find that things are often a bit crowded, so I branch out.

I find an excuse to lay down some major production point like a mine, then build a community around it including a Market.  Having the market makes it possible to surround it with housing and some industries depending on the production facility. 

For example, I had a hunter/gatherer/herbalist cluster over in a wooded area for quite a few years, but their usefulness was overtaken by a huge agricultural surplus than included sheep for clothing, so I discontinued these buildings, build an herbalist in town, then opened a coal mine in the old area.  This was quickly followed by a forester, wood chopper, a sheep fold (branched from another one) and a tailor.  Then the Market and some housing along with, of course, a stockpile and a warehouse.  Started up a couple of crop fields outside the radius of the forester after clearing the land.  This was my third satellite in this village, the second one being the main cattle producing area that had both large chicken production and sheep production.

Unfortunately, I had a crash as this was getting completed, so I guess I get to build it from the last save.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

Yeah, most of my maps work something like this. They are really a collection of villages with Forest or farms/pastures/orchards in between. I trade for most of my stone and iron nowadays, but when I was mining and quarrying I found that a fair-sized settlement near the work site was a necessity to keep people from wandering far across the map to get to work. The problem comes when the mine/quarry plays out and you have all these workers with nothing to do and all work sites a commute away. That's the nice thing about forestry and agriculture: they never play out.

A Nonny Moose

Good point.  However, before my mines and quarries play out, I've usually got another under construction.

Something I've noticed recently is that, as my population gets up towards 200, some of my people seem to be inflicted with dementia.  They wander around in the country side freezing and starving, can be of any age and are usually labourers.  It seems to be 50/50 that they will die.  Any idea why they leave the settlements?

Rayden

Markets and stalls well placed all over the map will solve the problem of large and sparse towns. Even if the resources (mines, quarries, etc) are faraway the vendors will take care that the needed goods are always available anywhere. I usually placed a lot of barns / stock piles here and there so vendors could let there goods necessary for residents on those areas.

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on March 06, 2015, 10:23:40 AM
Good point.  However, before my mines and quarries play out, I've usually got another under construction.

Something I've noticed recently is that, as my population gets up towards 200, some of my people seem to be inflicted with dementia.  They wander around in the country side freezing and starving, can be of any age and are usually labourers.  It seems to be 50/50 that they will die.  Any idea why they leave the settlements?

Which version do you have? In early versions it was common for people (esp. laborers and farmers who labored in the Winter) to travel long distances across the map and starve before they could get home to eat. Sometimes they would get cold, duck into a house to get warm and starve right there. Later versions (after 1.02 or 1.03) solved this problem by keeping laborers and builders closer to home. Since you're playing on Vines/Linux that might influence the situation if you have a current version.

Nilla

Since the upgrades you talk about @rkelly17, I have only had this behaviour, if I'm a bit careless and send my people to the other side of a stream or river and there is no bridge: It may be that I want to harvest stones or iron and accidentally mark some stones on the wrong side or I place a hunter, gatherer or forester with a part of the working circle on the other side of the stream, They get there alright but when they want to go back, they take a real long way over the edge of the map and often starve on their way back.

A Nonny Moose

Running 1.04 141103.  Is there anything later?

Oh, and what is Vines?  I am on Ubuntu 14.10 with wine-1.7.34.  All published fixes installed.

Ross Rossford

I've ended up with something a bit like this in my town Buttetinke. My woodland industry has slowly evolved into an almost entirely separated population of Forest Folk who live an entirely different lifestyle from the rest of my Bannies. They live in a village across a river far to the west of my town core nestled in a natural chokepoint, surrounded by my Lumber Camp/Gatherer nodes with Hunting Lodges in between. Everybody who works in these buildings lives in the village, and the lumber is gathered there to be chopped into firewood and then carted out by traders and vendors who live in town. They have a simple diet of venison, gatherer foods and corn (I planted a small field out there for them so they could have a balanced diet) and even their own school. I never really meant for them to become a unique population but I've come to enjoy the fact there's still a group of Bannies who live the same lifestyle as my original pioneers did, while the rest have become decadent tillers of the earth :P chained to their fields and used to a life full of every luxurious food possible.

In fact, it seems the Forest Folk WANT to live this way. I recently added the Smaller Vendor Buildings mod and built a Farmer's Stall in the village with the idea of bringing in the benefits of Buttetinke's prosperity, yet the effect has been exactly the opposite. Previously, the Forest Folk would at least make short visits to town for new tools and clothes but now the Farmer Stall stocks these, yet only the same woodland foods that are already close by. Now they are born and live and die without ever leaving the shade of the trees and despite my intentions, I think its better this way.  ;D

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on March 07, 2015, 11:03:12 AM
Running 1.04 141103.  Is there anything later?

I don't think so, so the wandering problem ought to be fixed. I would have no idea how wine might impact in-game behavior. You wouldn't think that Banished would know the difference. My experience of computers is that they are Fundamentalists: They interpret everything literally. The problem is figuring out what they are interpreting literally at the moment.

A Nonny Moose

FYI, wine doesn't really interact with the running program any more than, say, the .NET interpreter does.  It just intercepts the windoze specific calls and recompiles them using a JIT technique into native O/S calls.  It doesn't do this 100%, but generally it is enough.  If it can't handle something, it writes a line on the console.

Here is the console from one of my Banished runs:

fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x32e4c0 (nil)): stub
fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 00000026
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x22e8f0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x22ec30,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:dxgi:dxgi_output_GetDesc iface 0x91d020, desc 0x22f3f0 stub!
fixme:dxgi:dxgi_output_GetDisplayModeList iface 0x91d020, format DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM, flags 0, mode_count 0x22f5e8, desc (nil) partial stub!
fixme:dxgi:dxgi_output_GetDisplayModeList iface 0x91d020, format DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM, flags 0, mode_count 0x22f5e8, desc 0x17eaa50 partial stub!
fixme:d3d11:D3D11CreateDevice stub: adapter 0x97cc40, driver_type D3D_DRIVER_TYPE_UNKNOWN, swrast (nil), flags 0, feature_levels 0x22f318, levels 0x3, sdk_version 7, device 0x22f310, feature_level 0x22f330, context 0x22f348
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x22eeb0,0x00000000), stub!
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
wine-1.7.34

As you can see, it is massively unhappy with the multi-tasking methods used, and this is probably what makes it crawl instead of run.