News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Happiness

Started by irrelevant, August 29, 2014, 05:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

We have seen the happiness circles that @RedKetchup showed us the other day http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=354.msg4563#msg4563, so we now have a bit more insight into what causes happiness to fluctuate. But do we know what effect happiness has in the game? Does lower happiness make people idle more? What is it?

Over in http://www.reddit.com/r/Banished/ there are a couple of regular posters who take every opportunity they can to say that happiness is worthless and that people should just forget cemeteries, chapels, etc. I feel this is incorrect, but I have no ammo to use to argue with  ;)

slink

The happiness values I posted under Tips & Tricks were taken from building templates which included an idling variable in that section.  My guess is that unhappy people seek out these buildings and spend idle time there in order to increase their happiness levels.  The following came from the template for the chapel.

HappinessDescription happiness
{
   HappinessType _happinessType = Spirit;
   bool _requireWorker = true;
   int _idleRange = 3;
}

Bobbi

Do they need all of the different happies? If they have a five star happiness will they still seek out the other types of happiness if that type is low? What is it about hospitals that makes them idle there?

irrelevant

What I'm really interested in is whether there is a difference in the behavior of a citizen with 5 stars, and one with only 1? How about between 5 stars, and 3 or 4?

And while we're on the topic, how about the same question regarding health?

mariesalias

I wonder if it would be possible to make a Hospital a no-idling zone?

Nilla

Read this about happiness and decided to look a bit closer: as it happens, I just have started to build this village (just testing some ideas popping up as I built on this waterfront challenge), where people are not so happy.

And I must say I do not understand anything at all!

Look at the picture;

These where the people who was unhappy:
The ones left; Lelano, Mickaly, and the both children, lived together. The others in different houses. Why are they unhappy? No idea! There was one early child-birth-death (year 3-4). No other deaths as I can remember.  Lelano is the only educated elder person, I suppose it was his wife who died. That could explain that he is unhappy. But why his new wife and their children? And the others? Maybe accidental deaths make more people unhappy (parents siblings, aunts, neighbors......) There were no starvation. I didn´t build new houses so fast, so the children had to live at their parents house a bit longer, but they could all move out before they were too old to found a family, no quarries, no mines.......???????

I decided to keep an eye on these people.

1. They stay unhappy all their lives. I built a well close to their house, I built a graveyard, a church...... nothing. Lelano died and Mickaly got a new husband, still unhappy, The children moved out, got children still unhappy (their mates and children were happy all the time).

2.They do idle a lot, but they don´t get happier from it. I also pinned the new husbands and wifes . As I looked at them for ½ minute there was always one (or more) of the unhappy people idling, never one of the happy ones.

I have also seen a bit of this before. As I can recall people are generally happy ***** or sometimes you may see one really unhappy ½*. I cannot recall that I have seen any ** or **** .
Maybe it is a bug. I had the impression that they didn´t idle much later in the game (the menu shows they are real unhappy but in fact they are quite happy, the menu hasn´t changed). But it might be wrong, I didn´t look so much later.

Can anyone explain this.

Bobbi

The only time I ever have somebody unhappy who stays unhappy for the rest of their lives was when a family member died before I built a cemetery. I would surmise this was what happened, wife died, whole family permanently unhappy. Not sure if the spouses would also become unhappy?

canis39

Could the "permanent unhappiness" caused by a death without a cemetery be changed so that it has a finite time period associated with it? Or is that hardcoded into the game?

Nilla

QuoteThe only time I ever have somebody unhappy who stays unhappy for the rest of their lives was when a family member died before I built a cemetery. I would surmise this was what happened, wife died, whole family permanently unhappy. Not sure if the spouses would also become unhappy?

Yes, I am sure of that too, but in this case the unhappy children were born long after the dead person, must be something else. or the unhappy father somehow "infected" the whole family.

Yesterday I played that "Adam and Eve-mod" and kept an eye on the happiness. And actually I saw ** *** **** happiness. First one of their granddaughters died of childbirth. The family members (husband and one child) were unhappy, stars disappearing until ½* (child) *** (husband). New wife and children born later were happy all the time. As "Eve" died "Adam" was unhappy, it fell to **.

Do not understand a thing  ???

rkelly17

Quote from: Bobbi on August 31, 2014, 02:10:46 PM
The only time I ever have somebody unhappy who stays unhappy for the rest of their lives was when a family member died before I built a cemetery. I would surmise this was what happened, wife died, whole family permanently unhappy. Not sure if the spouses would also become unhappy?

I once had a guy who was still in school at 23 and very unhappy. Probably a graduate student living in his parents' basement.  ;D

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

I believe that more hearts must surely make you less susceptible to disease outbreaks. I nearly always take nomads, I nearly always have 5 hearts, and I almost never have disease outbreaks.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on September 02, 2014, 08:27:12 PM
I believe that more hearts must surely make you less susceptible to disease outbreaks. I nearly always take nomads, I nearly always have 5 hearts, and I almost never have disease outbreaks.

I would say not. I follow the diseased fairly closely and almost all of my sick people have 5 hearts and 5 stars. By the time I accept any nomads my town average is always 5 hearts and 5 stars, though I know that not all individuals hit the max. Very occasionally I have a sick person with 4.5 hearts, but 90% are 5 hearts.