News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

No nomads?

Started by irrelevant, October 20, 2014, 06:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coug_r

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 23, 2014, 08:24:45 AM
Then I get rabidly anti-immigrant. And this from someone who used to walk in vigils in support of undocumented workers!  :-[
Hehe, who said that video games are not violent? They turn us into retrograde xenophobics!

In the other hand, any time I see a new child being born, I think that thanks to my strict immigration policy they will benefit from a long healthy life of planting cabbages or mining coal. Life is great in our banished villages!

Coug_r

Quote from: slink on October 23, 2014, 08:58:50 AM
As opposed to unionized workers?  That is a hard call.   ???

This is actually a great idea for a mod. "A villager created a union, 215 villagers followed him and are now on strike. They will not get back to work until they all receive a new coat and 2 pints of ale".

That would drive me crazy...

slink

Quote from: Coug_r on October 23, 2014, 09:04:57 AM

This is actually a great idea for a mod. "A villager created a union, 215 villagers followed him and are now on strike. They will not get back to work until they all receive a new coat and 2 pints of ale".

That would drive me crazy...
It drove me crazy in some other game.  Some rollercoaster or other amusement park game, where every so often you had to do union negotiations.  This "negotiation" consisted of a small action game where you had to click versus a timer controlling a hand receding to the distance from yours, to the sound of a clock ticking as I recall.  It was closest to the stupidest game mechanic I ever encountered and I stopped playing the stupid game.   >:(  >:(  >:(

Anyway, in Banished I would let 216 of them starve to death, after which, if there were any left alive, I would rebuild.  While they were starving, I would hunt down the code and kill it.   ;D

rkelly17

This was in LA in the 70s and 80s. The unions were walking, too, so one didn't have to choose. If you ever saw the movie "El Norte" that would give the context. Parts of it were filmed not far from where we lived in the early 70s.

slink

In the 70s and 80s I was finishing graduate school and starting my life as a professional.  I lived on the East Coast.  I was pretty much oblivious to the West Coast.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 23, 2014, 09:18:02 AM
In the 70s and 80s I was finishing graduate school and starting my life as a professional.  I lived on the East Coast.  I was pretty much oblivious to the West Coast.

You lived where? You mean there is an East Coast?

;D

I'm as arrogant as only a second generation native Californian can be.

slink

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 23, 2014, 09:19:44 AM

;D

I thought the West Coast had fallen into the ocean.  *sulky look*  So sue me, they promised us that in the late 60s.   ;D

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 23, 2014, 09:22:41 AM
Quote from: rkelly17 on October 23, 2014, 09:19:44 AM

;D

I thought the West Coast had fallen into the ocean.  *sulky look*  So sue me, they promised us that in the late 60s.   ;D

Actually the plan was that The Big One would hit, a giant crack would develop along the Sierra Nevadas and the rest of the country would fall off into the Atlantic leaving California alone. Now that would have been something to see!

Of course, California did the next best thing--foisted Reagan off on everybody else so we could get a new governor.

;D

slink

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 23, 2014, 09:25:56 AM
Of course, California did the next best thing--foisted Reagan off on everybody else so we could get a new governor.
;D
Hurrah, the best president of my adult lifetime, to date!   ;D

Was that when you got Arnold Schwartzeneggar for governor?

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 23, 2014, 09:40:44 AM
Quote from: rkelly17 on October 23, 2014, 09:25:56 AM
;D
Hurrah, the best president of my adult lifetime, to date!   ;D

Was that when you got Arnold Schwartzeneggar for governor?

No, he came later long after we left for Canada (which was just after R got re-elected  :( ). I thought S was great because I got to make fun of all my relatives--right up until Toronto elected Rob Ford.  :'(

slink

The will of the majority is something to behold, is it not?   ;D

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 23, 2014, 09:46:05 AM
The will of the majority is something to behold, is it not?   ;D

One of the reasons I'm a flat-out elitist!  ;D

slink

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on October 20, 2014, 06:15:17 PM
If you have a town that just isn't getting nomads, try putting a bridge over the river.  They spawn at the map edge (usually north? that's what I see) and they just may be unable to pathfind their way to your town hall.

I have a town that desperately needs nomads and has a town hall, trading posts and bridges across the river. For a long time I only had @slink's specialized markets and elfecutioner's general store and was wondering whether these filled the prerequisites for nomads. I am sure I've had towns with only these markets and had nomads. Anyway, I built a vanilla market to see what happened and still no nomads. Hmmm.

Mahnogard

Quote from: rkelly17 on November 06, 2014, 08:23:18 AM
I have a town that desperately needs nomads and has a town hall, trading posts and bridges across the river. For a long time I only had @slink's specialized markets and elfecutioner's general store and was wondering whether these filled the prerequisites for nomads. I am sure I've had towns with only these markets and had nomads. Anyway, I built a vanilla market to see what happened and still no nomads. Hmmm.

According to Elfectutioner and various testers, they do not meet the requirement - the market has some sort of special "flag" that the game looks for along with the TP / TH. However, you don't need to fully build it - in my last town I had the TP & Town Hall but was using the same mods you are, and I placed / paused a vanilla market out in the middle of nowhere and started getting nomads a few years later.