News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Stockpiles vs Markets

Started by RedKetchup, January 08, 2016, 01:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

We found lately a certain bug that can happends with mods as well in vanilla :

even if you have some dedicated storage space available (like specialized markets, or vanilla big market) if you dont have at least 1 real stockpile : the citizens wont pickup resources on the ground.
it seems to be directly linked into the game code that if stockpile space available = NULL , it returns to citizens an error and they just go idle or do something else. they dont pickup the stuff even if you have some market space avalable or hardware store space available.

as you can see in the screenshot, the market should accept logs and iron. but they stay on the ground.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Paeng

Ouch, that's a big one... I guess it was never really noticed because we never considered not building a stockpile...
But in this day and age, with so many different storage options... yeah, I can see where this would become a problem.  :)

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

kralyerg

I did a little testing on this.

If I have no stockpile and a vanilla market, no one picks up resources.

If I have no stockpile and a specialized wood market, no one picks up resources.

If I have no stockpile, and a dedicated (non-market) wood storage building (CC has a Log Warehouse), everything works fine.

It looks to me like it's just that markets aren't a valid direct storage location for laborers.  Is that really a surprise?  Markets have a "profession = vendor" code, so maybe laborers can't drop things off there, because it's set so only vendors can?

RedKetchup

Quote from: kralyerg on January 10, 2016, 08:15:22 AM
It looks to me like it's just that markets aren't a valid direct storage location for laborers.  Is that really a surprise?  Markets have a "profession = vendor" code, so maybe laborers can't drop things off there, because it's set so only vendors can?

no i see very very often citizens drop their stuff at markets

what has special your Log Warehouse ? is it a kind of stockpile ? or similar to the warehouse i did years ago ?

kralyerg

Quote from: RedKetchup on January 10, 2016, 10:10:59 AMwhat has special your Log Warehouse ? is it a kind of stockpile ? or similar to the warehouse i did years ago ?

It's just a storage barn that has Wood has its only flag for storage.  Nothing special.

RedKetchup

so what can have a stockpile, or storage barn as 'tag' or 'command' that tells the game "ok storage = available" than other building don't have ? (like markets)

kralyerg

There's nothing special about the storage code that's any different between barns and markets.

Maybe it has something to do with the storagelocation.  Barns have "storagelocation" but markets have "marketlocation".

kralyerg

Okay.

It looks like it is the storagelocation thing.  When I give the market the storagelocation code, it makes it so laborers will drop off the logs from the forest into the market.

The laborers don't care about the market's storage percentage things, so they will continue to fill up the entire market with logs if they can.  Then your vendors will go and remove the extra logs and put them somewhere else if they need to.

RedKetchup

so.... isnt better to replace (or add) the storage location to all kind of markets ?

kralyerg

If you want markets to be a valid storage barn, then sure.

Some people might not want all markets to be storage barns, and fill up with whatever, making the vendor spend all his time emptying the market instead of filling it.

Discrepancy

Quote from: kralyerg on January 10, 2016, 01:25:41 PM
It looks like it is the storagelocation thing.  When I give the market the storagelocation code, it makes it so laborers will drop off the logs from the forest into the market.

The laborers don't care about the market's storage percentage things, so they will continue to fill up the entire market with logs if they can.  Then your vendors will go and remove the extra logs and put them somewhere else if they need to.

This could be a handy little idea. Having small, easily built little Stockpile Markets that could be built next to certain resource rich areas (mines/forests etc.), have them store edibles, tools and clothing as well as log/stone/iron etc.
So if one was built next to say a forest where you had a log industry, it had a few vendors who would go off first and try to stock up the market, meanwhile the foresters would be adding logs to the market, when log capacity is reached, it would be the vendors who would be doing the leg work carting it further away to the main stockpile.
So it would be like the CC Distribution Barn, but also hold varied stock and supply to citizens.

If the stockpile market was flagged to only accept wood/tools/edibles, would each have 33.3% of the storage space? so a market with storage of 3000 would collect 1000 wood, 1000 tools, 1000 edibles? I there a way to lower limits on one flag only? for example allow only 500 wood?