News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Pangaea - Langtvekkistan

Started by Pangaea, September 15, 2014, 11:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

After many, many months away from the game, I've come back for another taste, shaken but not stirred, with mods.

On the third try I got a map that looked allright. Unfortunately a huge-ass mountain just south-west of the starting area, but otherwise it looks fairly flat (I didn't want a total flatland, so steered away from popular seeds like 7 and 224), the main river is nearby, the map looks pretty stuffed with top-side stone and iron. I like that, as I hate the sight of mines and especially quarries. This is also why I am using the mod that lets me delete mines and quarries without leaving a trace, just in case I need to build those buggars down line :D

Seed: 244419908

Settings: Large Valleys, Fair climate, No disasters, and Medium starting conditions
(I know that's not hardcore for you senior banishees, but I grew to like these last time I played, and I tend to put off farming despite having some seeds)

Mods: Better fields, Delete quarry and mine, Quieter livestock, Year not season.

Not done squat yet with the map, but here is the starting area   ;D

irrelevant

Large valley, fair, medium, disasters off is how I normally start too.

I do hate a huge-ass mountain ;D

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

solarscreen

Yes! Another Village Blog!!!

Looking forward to it!
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Pangaea

Thanks for the well-wishes :)

I've played for some hours already, but not a ton of stuff has been built. We are 28 adults and 12 children now, so 40 combined. A small village centre, and a few hubs around it. Just started to build the school, which I've not done so early before (in year 5), but I'll see how it works out.

One theme throughout the first five years has been a lack of logs and firewood, so I scratch my head at all the people who are abusing the firewood for trading. I guess you're going the whole hog and building tons of the foresters and woodcutters? Anyway, that's not my goal here, I usually try to build my villages a bit more slowly and gradually, which hopefully won't result in a massive crash at some point. I know we start out with a couple seeds with these settings, but I like to postpone farming a bit, as it's harder that way. Plonking down loads of farms right away is, err, easier.

Rambling aside, here is the little village centre. Just got up the Town (hah!) Hall and as mentioned the school is under construction.

Pangaea

Well, how time flies. 5AM? Oh dear....

Year 10, and Langtvekkistan has expanded a little bit more, got a church and finally a trading post. Have built some more houses too, and so far the growth graph looks allright. Very early though. I accepted 6 nomads as we could use some more hands in the woods. To try to get a grip on the firewood situation I built another woodcutter, and 2-3 more forester huts, plus 2 more gatherer huts out in the boonies to supply our little community. The idea is to expand with farms across the river, and I think that time is approaching now, as it's getting harder to stay on top of the food situation without plopping down heaps more gatherer huts.

No tombs in the cemetery yet, but an unfortunate woman died when giving birth prior to it getting built.

When starting a new village I imagine to plan out the whole thing, then end up expanding on the spot when it's needed  ??? Oh well, hopefully everybody won't die at some point :D

irrelevant

Nice. I like the compactness.

When your town gets bigger you may wish to relocate that hospital. To reach it, sick bannies will have to come right downtown, and possibly walk thru a crowd of idlers at the cemetery/chapel.  ;)

People do the firewood thing by building trading posts as quickly as they can, putting choppers next to the TP stockpiles, and buying every log the merchants can bring. I do it to a certain extent at the start of my Sink Mill blog, although if I was going to be serious about it I would have skipped most of the farms and built more TPs faster.

Pangaea

Yes, that's a good point about the hospital, I didn't consider that, just wanted to close to the city centre for easy access. Having looked at the disease stuff in the modkid yesterday, it would probably be better to put hospitals out in the boonies. Sickos would have to walk there, possibly infecting people on the way, but once there the chance of infection should be fairly low.

Yes, I've seen images of cities where the rivers are crammed full of trading posts, but I just shake my head in disbelief. I want to build my cities a bit more realistically, and not try to "break the game". But I can see that it's a very useful method if people want the population to explode right away and rely on heavy food import.  I've always done things more measured in my cities, which is probably why I didn't quite appreciate how unbalanced the firewood exploit was.

rkelly17

Quote from: Pangaea on September 16, 2014, 06:45:17 AM
Yes, that's a good point about the hospital, I didn't consider that, just wanted to close to the city centre for easy access. Having looked at the disease stuff in the modkid yesterday, it would probably be better to put hospitals out in the boonies. Sickos would have to walk there, possibly infecting people on the way, but once there the chance of infection should be fairly low.

Ah, if only. This would be true if the little (many expletives deleted) didn't rush out to idle around AND EVEN IN the hospital, spreading disease around in the process.  >:(  :'(

@RedKetchup has done a mod to remove the attraction from the hospital (idling around it increases happiness in the unmodded version) after I tried and failed. I really am going to start using it in my next town.

I still wouldn't build a hospital in the middle of town as the contagion radius for sick citizens is still active even when they are in the hospital.

Pangaea

Oh, that will be another issue then. But I'll see how it works out. Does remind me of a bug though. Was the issue that people got infected from people INSIDE the hospital ever fixed? I guess not, based on what you say :|
You'd think people with the plauge and whatnot would be in quarantine inside the hospital, so it's a bit silly that somebody who happens to walk past the hospital suddenly gets the plague too (lets for sake of argument say there is only the one plurk inside the hospital affected).

Sounds like that mod could be useful though, as long as overall happiness isn't affected.

The village probably looks like thousands of other so far, with everything so compact, but I'm not that creative :D

Pangaea

Sad news has hit the town. Initial settlers Augustin and Kimberto have separated :( The break was no longer possible to keep to themselves when a new house was put up along the riverfront, on the other side of town, and Kimberto ceased on the chance to buy it.

Both seem very happy about it  :-X

Addendum: How fitting. The cleric is the first to go into the ground next to the church, aged 63 (I had just checked him out, not 10 seconds before he died).

rkelly17

Quote from: Pangaea on September 16, 2014, 10:11:33 AM
Addendum: How fitting. The cleric is the first to go into the ground next to the church, aged 63 (I had just checked him out, not 10 seconds before he died).

I can tell you from experience that being a cleric is much more stressful than you might think. You actually have to deal with people.  :(

Pangaea

Funny you should mentioned that, because a person I know says that if you want to stay happy, find a job where you don't deal with people. Sounds a bit extreme, but perhaps he had a point.

Pangaea

Year 15 and time for another update. People have been kicking the bucket right, left and centre, so most (if not all) the original founders are dead now. But the population has increased, helped by 9 more nomads, to 102. We've also started farming, on the other side of the river. The Better fields mod comes in quite handy on this map, as there is a handful of hills that would otherwise be wasted land, but now we can farm some of it, including up the hillside in the picture below.

Pretty easy to see from the spike in food that we have started farming. This is why I don't do it right away; I want a little more challenge feeding our people from the get go. But I also prefer to keep the farmlands a bit apart from the starting area.

We were lucky and started with Beans and Wheat seeds, so that provides grain as well. The three river-side fields north of the bridges are beans, while the rest are wheat. The three fields between the two bridges are just built and haven't been used yet, but we should get some yield from them this autumn. Another market is coming up to the right of these wheat fields. To the south of that market is a hill. Usually it could at best be used as a vantage point, but now I'll put down some farms there. Quite like the Better fields mod so far :)

irrelevant

This is the first screenshot I've seen of the Better Farms mod in use. I couldn't quite picture what it was doing; I like it! But then, I would, wouldn't I? ;)