News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Pangaea - Langtvekkistan

Started by Pangaea, September 15, 2014, 11:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

100 Years :)

Population has increased a lot lately, because I made a push to get to 2000 by year 100. We pushed a bit over the line, and currently 2,175 people live in Langtvekkistan.

Coincidentally, exactly 100 houses have been built the last decade, but the population has gone up by almost 500 people, and 250 families. Really hard to keep up with houses now. The population graph speaks for itself. Adults have spiked up, but children and students haven't. The population increase has put a real strain on our food, and we lost 50,000 last year, partly due to a hot summer with worse harvest than normal.

A residential area has arisen in the very south, in between three mountains, and finally I've built another community centre south of the residential core, where we started out. There is still some more space, and once the stockpile has been removed, I'll probably put up houses everywhere, as we need them. Another set of orchards around the mountains there, thanks to Better Fields.

Further south-west a very productive herbalist (100+ a year) is soon coming down. Quite simply we need more farming land, and this is close to the only decent spot left before we go into the big forest area up north. Lots of logging up there now, so I keep putting off cutting it all down.

The last picture shows our foodbin; most of our food is produced in this area, as it's a big, fairly flat piece of real estate. I've come to quite fancy the design of two rows of houses with a barn in between here and there, as it 'loses' pretty little land. You see it in the middle of the picture, and in the lower right corner.

Wish the crops were a bit more colourful. Despite using many different kinds, it looks bland... Stone houses don't exactly help either! :D

I'm feeling a little exhausted by this map now, and it's difficult to keep going. Could be we could get to 3000, but I suppose having just 4 trading posts will start to pinch at some point, especially when cutting down the forests and thus reducing logging. Tempting to start another save soon, using the new storage buildings by @RedKetchup. I'll try to keep going a bit more, but not sure I'll be able to "complete" this map.

irrelevant

Nice town, nice images!

That orchard that wraps around the hill, that's several small rectangular orchards, right? Just curious, not sure how much modding has changed things.

So how long has that herbalist been there, and producing steadily all along? No forester anywhere around, right?

I also have a hard time making my housing keep up with my pop. Did a better job than I've ever done there at Gnaw Bone. But on a big map there just is always so much that needs to be done.

I notice you have three hunters per cabin; I didn't find that having more than one hunter makes much difference. But you've got plenty of guys, may as well make sure.

I like to zoom in on the growing crops, they are more colorful then. Also, you're still early summer, it's more colorful the next two months.

Pangaea

Thanks. Some of those orchards are almost cube-like, while others are 15x3-ish (or shorter), it depended on what fit best. Probably wouldn't be able to place anything there without Better fields, so it does change it a bit, but on a large map like this it's not a massive difference.

The herbalist has been there a long time, but not sure exactly how many years. There isn't a forester nearby (he's further west), so that helps a lot. Been producing a lot as long as I've noticed it. Usually between 80-110.

Suppose hunter efficiency depends on how well they are positioned, but I find that 3 guys do better than just the one, so usually put 3 people there right away, especially when I have the manpower. We're also short on leather on this map now, so we need all we can get. Speaking of limits, I've stopped building more churches and expanding the cemetery. Still a few available graves, but the churches capped out at 2000, and I figured that is enough; they take up too much room.

True about the timing, it does look better later, and with a more zoomed in view (wanted a nice overview shot before they started harvesting the crops, and bean was close to 100% now). I like the orchards more, though, and the greener livelier colour adds some spice to an otherwise too grey and dull world. The lettuce actually looked more colourful, so I'll probably add that mod to the next town I'm playing. Not as keen on all the extra chains with flax and such, as I really like the default game the way it is, so will probably not add that one. Hopefully more bare crops will be added, with artwork, at some point. Do plan on using the Dairy mod, though. Would also have used the Bakery mod if it worked properly. Hopefully the author will update the buildings at some point, so they only take the needed goods and don't act like secondary barns.

Housing is becoming a real issue. Population explodes while students/children do not, so the population can become too aged if one doesn't keep up. But then you need to expand farms to keep up, and if you build too many houses, the increase just spirals out of control. It's tough to find the right balance.

Pangaea

In some thread recently I wrote that I hadn't had a serious setback from disease despite placing (some of) the hospitals in central locations.

Oh crap.

Disease         Transmission Acquire "1 in" Percent
Name         Time Chance Radius Chance Death Death
Tuberculosis 0.25 0.8 8 20 8 13

Having seen this (so far!!) explode from Patient Zero to 70, I realised I have misunderstood this table. I thought Acquire Chance was a percentage, but it must be this weird "1 in X" stuff instead, because it spreads a lot faster than Influenza and Mumps and such, which is mostly what I've had so far. It seems to have reached some critical mass now, as one hospital is overfilled, and infected jumped from 40 to 70 in one second. Could be a pretty serious set-back......  :-\

One thing that has always done my head in with diseases, is that they don't go to the closest hospital, nor abort current tasks. They appear to go to the hospital closest to where they live, which can mean walking right past the entry of another one. Bah!

Nilla

Quote from: Pangaea on October 10, 2014, 01:42:07 AM

One thing that has always done my head in with diseases, is that they don't go to the closest hospital, nor abort current tasks. They appear to go to the hospital closest to where they live, which can mean walking right past the entry of another one. Bah!

As far as I have noticed; if someone is ill, he goes home and from there to the nearest doctor. That also means, as you have seen; he goes to the doctor closest to his home.

I hope you get your epidemic under control soon. That bim-bim-bim-bim-gong that sounds when there´s a lethal decease is not very funny.

By the way; you are doing great. And don´t worry about over-aging; As long as you go on building houses continually, the population will grow, slow or fast, it doesn´t matter. Your town far away looks great and has developed fine in the time I didn´t look. (are you Norwegian or have some Norwegian roots/knowledge? The name of your town indicates that)

Pangaea

110 years

Hectic years. Tuberculosis hit. Combined with lots of elders punching out from under-building of houses, the population increase halted and slightly decreased. Feared tuberculosis would hit us back, hard, but it topped out at around 85 infected out of ~2400. 24 people died, though, and I reckon several hundreds got the disease. It lasted about 18 months, until the very last person died (he did in fact die and not recover, so RIP).

The area south of the starting spot has been fully built up now, and the market there is servicing an uncomfortable amount of producion buildings. Seems to go okay with 25 vendors, which I have in quite a lot of markets by now. We have the people for it, so why not.

In the south I've built up a couple of areas on both sides of the river, by tearing down some of the beloved foresters. We needed houses quite badly, so I stuffed as many over on the small moutain-encrusted plot across the river, and was very pleased it was possible to squeeze in tunnels in both directions. Close shave!

People behave a bit odd though, such as the very strong-willed woman in the last screenshot.

Built almost a 100 homes, but families increased by around 150, so we couldn't keep up despite the building boom. Crazy stuff with these big towns. How on Earth @irrelevant managed to get to 6,000 I'll never know  :o :o

Pangaea

Quote from: Nilla on October 10, 2014, 02:34:52 AM
As far as I have noticed; if someone is ill, he goes home and from there to the nearest doctor. That also means, as you have seen; he goes to the doctor closest to his home.

I hope you get your epidemic under control soon. That bim-bim-bim-bim-gong that sounds when there´s a lethal decease is not very funny.

By the way; you are doing great. And don´t worry about over-aging; As long as you go on building houses continually, the population will grow, slow or fast, it doesn´t matter. Your town far away looks great and has developed fine in the time I didn´t look. (are you Norwegian or have some Norwegian roots/knowledge? The name of your town indicates that)

Haven't noticed that they go all the way home, usually, only if they happen to be going there with food or fuel. It looks like they always finish whatever task they are occupied with, even if that is "idle" outside the hospital. Sometimes an infected person will walk right by a hospital on the way to a cropfield, with "Working" description, get there, turn around on their heels and walk far away to another hospital. Probably the "cleanest" way to do it programming-wise, but it looks weird.

You're right btw, I am from Norway. Hopefully you're also right that the housing and population issue won't get out of hand. Thankfully the tuberculosis didn't. I was worried for a moment when it suddenly exploded into almost a 100 people and a hospital was overbooked.

RedKetchup

btw , grats on your 100 years :) i never never been able to last that long with a town ^^ i always stop to play them at 85ish
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Quote from: Pangaea on October 10, 2014, 05:11:39 AM
110 years

The area south of the starting spot has been fully built up now, and the market there is servicing an uncomfortable amount of producion buildings. Seems to go okay with 25 vendors, which I have in quite a lot of markets by now. We have the people for it, so why not.

Built almost a 100 homes, but families increased by around 150, so we couldn't keep up despite the building boom. Crazy stuff with these big towns. How on Earth @irrelevant managed to get to 6,000 I'll never know  :o :o
One thing you should look out for at that market is vendors crowding out the guys working at your production buildings. I had that happen to me in my Newport area, traders and vendors took up all the housing, forcing the choppers and blacksmiths to live farther away, which really messed up production. Check things out with the pathing tool; if that happens, you can either build more houses, dial back the vendors, or a combination.

I have a superpower; it's called "stubbornness." ;)

rkelly17

Quote from: Pangaea on October 10, 2014, 05:18:15 AM
Haven't noticed that they go all the way home, usually, only if they happen to be going there with food or fuel. It looks like they always finish whatever task they are occupied with, even if that is "idle" outside the hospital. Sometimes an infected person will walk right by a hospital on the way to a cropfield, with "Working" description, get there, turn around on their heels and walk far away to another hospital. Probably the "cleanest" way to do it programming-wise, but it looks weird.

This is what I have observed. People go the the hospital "nearest" (according to the logic of the game) to where they live--even if that means walking by two other hospitals to get there. If they are hungry they go home first and then go to the hospital. If they are "putting items in storage" they will complete that task first. Other times it seem almost random. I have seen kids "go to school" by walking past the hospital, go into the school and turn right around back to the hospital while others go straight to the hospital. Some people get sick and head straight to the hospital. Some work on so long that they get well before they even get to the hospital. Clearly there is some logic to it (it's a computer, after all) but it is hard to figure out sometimes.

Pangaea

Quote from: irrelevant on October 10, 2014, 05:48:05 AM
Quote from: Pangaea on October 10, 2014, 05:11:39 AM
110 years

One thing you should look out for at that market is vendors crowding out the guys working at your production buildings. I had that happen to me in my Newport area, traders and vendors took up all the housing, forcing the choppers and blacksmiths to live farther away, which really messed up production. Check things out with the pathing tool; if that happens, you can either build more houses, dial back the vendors, or a combination.

Good point, I'll keep an eye on that. I've noticed the same, for example with fishermen in new areas. When they are alone they do fine, but once the area gets more built up, suddenly there are vendors and others that tend to push the fishermen away from their ideal homes, reducing output from the fishing dock.

Pangaea

Quote from: irrelevant on October 10, 2014, 05:48:05 AM

Had a look, and it mostly looks good, very good in fact. However, one bewer has quite the trek back and forth in the morning and evening...  :o Don't think he could live farther away even if he tried. Hopefully the game sorts it out soon enough.

d:  ;D ;D The other resident in that house up in Nowhereville is a farmer, that lives even farther away from work. The farm is well to the west of the Tavern. Incredible how the game makes gaffes like this.

Pangaea

One of my favourite things about this game is to plan out new areas, so I figured I'd make a post about it. Usually I hit Pause so I can make mistakes without real consequences, as there tends to be a bit "try and fail" because it's not always easy to fit in what you want where you want it.

Not sure how I can insert pictures in the post itself, that are added to this site, so guess they'll just have to be added to the bottom like normal.

1st: I like to tear down the trees and buildings first (there was a hunter and herbalist before), so I can see better. Should have taken down the remaining trees too. It's easier to see what you're doing without pixel hunting for footprints later.

2nd: Have already placed many buildings now, but I wanted to showcase the very useful Quarry (that I never, ever BUILD :D ). It's big, so it's good to use to hover over the land to get an overview of where you can build.

3rd: Most of the plans have been put down, only missing some up north that is done once the forest is cut down.

4th: This is what it looked like when completed. Unfortunately there was a late frost, but the stupid farmers were more than happy to keep "planting" in -2C temperature  >:( It's particularly visible in the left of the picture.
Oh, and yes, that is another hospital you're seeing -- but in this case it actually is in the corner of the map, sort of, and not french-kissing the market  ;D

rkelly17

Nice sequence of shots. Planning is such a fun part of the game, but I tend to do it more in increments. I always admire those who can plan out a whole town section at once.

If you want to insert the pictures right in the post you have to first place them in the "Galleries" section and then copy the BB Code link it gives you in the page that comes up when you click on the image in the gallery:

[img]http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/14_14_05_14_12_19_54.jpeg[/img]

and paste that into your post.

Pangaea

Thanks @rkelly17. Looked at the gallery, and can we only add one picture at a time? Bit of a pain to add a whole bunch for use in other threads then :/