News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Creative Pattern challenge

Started by Boris_amj, May 22, 2014, 01:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boris_amj

After seeing the very excellent effort of @Demonocracy, I decided to issue a formal challenge.

At the moment, the only reward would be the feeling of being well chuffed about having achieved it.
Not to mention the look of awe and eternal admiration of your fellow posters.
I wouldn't be surprised if the press chase after you on the streets.
Probably people in dark suits would be considering your suitability as the next president of the USA.

Probably.

Aherm.

This is a purely cosmetic challenge. Ignore the fact your citizens will suffer as you neglect their well being.

So, here it is:

- Create a pattern made of trees that either spell something (your choice) or has an attractive abstract design (your choice too).

Extra points if the trees are all of the same type. So, only pines, birches, etc.
Gatherer related items (such as mushrooms, berry bushes and the like) are of course allowed.

Originally I thought of creating the design patterns by paving with roads and leaving gaps.
But of course more imaginative ways are welcome.

Variation:

- Use colourful crops/orchards to create the patterns.

I have left the conditions very open on purpose.
Since this is a creative challenge, there is no point in trying to restrict imagination.

slink

I have begun building the Message To The Aliens park, in Soloma.  While building this park, I suffered a tornado and a fire, and have a perpetual lack of stone.  I suppose I ought to have remembered that Soloma has disasters set to On.  *wrinkles nose*  Oh well.

The actual letters are picked out in wells, which are only built for half of the letters at this time.  Trees surround the letters, inside a frame of dirt roads.  The trees are, in order, pine, oak, birch, pine, oak, birch.  It will look more impressive, I hope, in a few years when I've bought all the stone and the trees are all filled in.

I realize that the challenge called for the letters to be made of trees, but I thought it would not look as nice with such a thin line of foliage.  On the other hand, it isn't clear that anyone can read what I've written with the wells.  *shrugs*

Edit: Nope. Epic fail.  You can't even recognize the "O" for an "O".

slink

It was an epic fail using wells to make the letters.  So here is another way.  As before, the trees have to grow out a bit, but otherwise it is much better.

Here is a picture after the trees have filled in.

solarscreen

@slink, nice!  I am clearing a major swath in Mornice to build my pattern.  Pics this weekend.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

mariesalias

Nice efforts slink!  I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for this!

solarscreen

Can you find your way through the Pecan Maze?

Demonocracy

Boris_amj

@solarscreen

Yes! Why didn't I think of it ?
Sometimes I despair of my own lack of imagination.
I did say you're a natural.

For the longest time I was worrying in my mind that the houses in Banished were too close to each other.
I thought that new settlers would tend to encompass quite a lot of land and that the farms would sit in the middle of a big state.
But the lack of fences or walls made the "parcelling" look unsatisfying.

With the technique you just showed us, I can now use it as a tool to define land states.

slink

rkelly17

Coongrats to @slink and @solarscreen for fun and artistic work. You remind me of the fellow who used to live around the corner from us whose backyard included a slope facing the road. He regularly mowed messages to the world in his grass.

My towns already look like something by Jackson Pollock, so I'll let it go at that.

Kaldir

I love the screenshots here, especially the maze. Very creative! And, as @Boris_amj said, inspiration for future towns. The orchards might prove a decent alternative to the lack of decorative items to place around town.

rkelly17

@Kaldir, I've used orchards in my town squares as "parks." I've also used the "town forester" to plant trees in 4X4 spaces in squares. The advantage to the orchards is that they are more orderly and regular. The disadvantages are: (1) more workers are necessary and (2) the trees don't look so good at the renewal phase. With the orchards you need one worker per square; with the forester one worker takes care of a whole circle.

Kaldir

@rkelly17: I've used the forester for adding trees to my town, after reading about it in one of the excellent posts of @kangaredditroo on SRS forum. But I hadn't thought about adding orchards purely for aesthetic reasons. Workers didn't seem to be the biggest issue in my larger town, but I've not played that many towns yet to really know. Something to try at least.

Demonocracy

Since @slink gave me a nudge to post the image over here on this thread as part of the challenge, here's Banished in Crops!  =)

solarscreen

Here's the maze in winter, just to make the pathways stand out a bit for you!