News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

RK Editor Choice - FULL version 1.11 (Bugfixed)

Started by RedKetchup, August 31, 2018, 08:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donwolfkonecny

I have a question. Apparently a gatherer is very efficient because it wanders around the circle around the hut and gathers food. What happens if I block let's say half of it with buildings? You might think the efficiency goes down, but they can't wander through buildings, so they aren't losing anytime there. I'm sort of thinking it might be just as efficient, and there is no reason to NOT place buildings within the gatherers circle. Up until the point which might be 50% where there's so little territory that the stuff can't grow back in time so time is wasted waiting for stuff to grow. So maybe you couldn't put 2 or 3 gatherers, but one should still do just as well as if it had the full circle. What do people think?

RedKetchup

i always put some housing near. the difference of food doesnt worth the efficacity you get if your worker live near his job.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

valid arguement. it should be tested. i usually use 1 gatherer. 2 doesn't double the food.they get more but not twice as much. plus then if food is low,you have a safety net for some quick supply. a shed and house near the gathering hut helps make them faster since they don't travel as far to drop off items. i think half the radius would do as well with 1 worker.

donwolfkonecny

I don't know where better to post this. I remember reading somewhere (can't find it) how wild animals go around city buildings, and herds repopulate. I remember hearing that you can't hunt a deer herd to extinction, that it will repopulate from zero until some max.
Is this true all heards such as bison cannot be made extinct?
What is the algorithm on repopulating? Does a herd repopulate substantially faster with 1 animal compared to 0?
Ultimately my question is, can I hunt a herd to zero, and it will grow back. Or should I try to leave one animal (and lose out on the meat) because the herd will grow back faster if it has one animal.

brads3

this has changed over time.originally you could overhunt the deer.then it was changed with a patch and that was included in future versions. now RED has added more wild animals and modders can affect the number of animals. now by over hunting it might not go completely to zero,however a small herd in a corner is not going to help you mch especially with a larger map.  the more hunters per hunting cabin the more likely you would get good hunts now but next year you may find less and less.

this does add some realism to the game.you can't over rely on hunting and fishing for your food. are the numbers too high or low is more debateable. i usually use 1 hunter per cabin and set 1 cabin between or overlapping 2 forest areas. when i send quickhunters out i wait for a larger herd.if it is only 1or 2 animals i leave them to multiply.

RedKetchup

the developper designed his game around killing 1 beast every 2 months. i personally made it up at 1 beast per month instead, but some kills gives less food if your beasts are smaller...

the numbers about regeneration of the packs look like this:

HerdDescription herd
{
   ComponentDescription _animalType = "Template\WildAnimalBison.rsc";
   int _maxAnimals = 10;
   int _minAnimals = 6;
   float _timeInAreaMonths = 2.0;
   float _timeInAreaTolerance = 0.75;
   int _grazeAreaSize = 8;
   float _reproduceTimeInMonths = 8.0;
}

from that. we can see should be between 6 and 10 animals in all time in the pack. but we know it can go down further than that and they are not freely respawning. not sure if the minimum is not really triggered or not.
and it is written it takes 8 months to get a birth.

brads3

how many herds per map and does that number increase with map size?

donwolfkonecny

Okay so if I hunt a herd to 0. Then after 8 months there will be a birth so it will become 1. Then 8 months later there will be one more birth so it becomes 2.
If I hunt it to 1 then 8 months later there will be a birth so it will be 2, and after 8 months it becomes 3.
This is different from a farm animal because with a very large pasture, it will birth more than 1 every 8 months. My 30x30 bison herd generated 2400 meats last year.

But to my question, it seems it doesn't matter if I hunt it to 0, that doesn't slow it down, and I'm just missing out on a kill I could have gotten earlier without penalty. The reason I mention that is because it does not mirror reality - IRL if I hunt to 0, that herd probably will never recover. If I hunt but leave some, they will probably recover, at least much faster than 0. It would be sweet to have that mechanism, to test my discipline so I hunt but not to 0. But that may be too subtle of a thing for the game! lol
Ah, I know, you just put a penalty "If AnimalCount = 0 then TimeToBirth = 16 months"
Or maybe, "growth" is a percentage. So a herd "grows" 10% each month. Fractions could be represented by small animals. In that case a herd of 2 would grow faster than herd of 1.
Just ideas. I'm sure can't change the game this way :)

Possibly the wild animals age like the farm animals and the minimum is so a bunch don't die at once down to less than 6? Hardly seems necessary, I wonder why that was originally created.

brad why do you leave the few animals? So you don't waste your time messing with the quickhunting or because you think long term you will get more meat by waiting?

RK thanks for details! Do we know what timInAreaTolerance does? Is it tolerance to human activity such as laborers or hunters? Sometimes I have low tolerance, maybe I can raise my float.

RedKetchup

the :

float _timeInAreaMonths = 2.0;
   float _timeInAreaTolerance = 0.75;

is link to the time they stay put at 1 place and wont move up to another spot.
originally, it was set to change and move spot every 1 month. i changed it to every 2 months because when they start to move, all animations, it takes a lot of PC resources.
the tolerance is there for making some "random" happening. 0,75 = the 3 quarters of a month.

brads3

i do use quickhunters off and on.when i do ,i send the hunter when there is a large herd.if only 1 or 2of eachypeof animal comes by,i dont send the hunter out.that has worked to boost the leather early in some games. what i have seen is there are sometimes a herd or 2 near the start,but not always. usually loooking around the maps,the start herds seem to be toward the map corners.so in early game, it will take some time for them to travel and spread out.

1 thing that makes it harder is the map sizes. a small map is the size of a town and large CC the size of a county.hence you should have more animals. and the hunter radius vary from mod to mod but are only a small section  of the map. other thing that makes things hard to calculate with the game is the "unit 1". 1 what? is it pound,ton,portion,etc.

RED's amimals are easier to spook. they seem to run from workers and run away from noises duue to construction.  if you are building near the edge of a forest,you can scare the animals away from the hunters.it sounds crazy but it does seem to be that way more with the RK mod.pls REd has us huntiong birds to give a chance for a lower yield. kinda like in RL,some years you would hunt squirrels and rabbitsnot just deer and bears.