News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Brick Tenements and Rowhouses from the Industrial Revolution

Started by AzemOcram, December 08, 2014, 11:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzemOcram

I made those two alterations and tested their scale in game. I also made more models and fixed the scale of all the other models I already made. I was also gifted a beautiful model of the Big Ben Clock Tower. I optimized it down to 1/4 the triangle count. I also made a shrunken (and further optimized) model of half the size as the original. The full sized original model will have a limit of 1 per town and the half-sized one will have a limit of 2.

Here are all the models I have made so far:

What do you all think?

--Ocram

RedKetchup

looks good now :) and the mon-textured houses too :)

you said you tested in game .... and what you find out about the full size bell tower ?
was it huge ? lol

did you tested it to compare the cathedral ?
and your 5 floors houses vs my 3 lvl medieval houses ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

AzemOcram

@RedKetchup Sorry for the confusion. I only tested the two textured rowhouses (Tiny and Modest) to the left and presumed that the rest of the models had good scale because they have the same (or slightly greater) height per story. Now that you mention it, I would like to ensure that my 5 story rowhouses are taller than your 3 story houses in New Medieval Town. Would you kindly tell me the z value of the highest vertex on your tallest 3rd story NMT house? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

--Ocram

RedKetchup

sure,

the highest point of all model is the big round tower with almost 10,0
most of them are between 8,3 and 9,3

AzemOcram

Thank you for letting me know. That means that my 5 story brownstones/rowhouses were too short. I made them taller now. Seeing the difference that makes between the new, taller tier 6 rowhouses and the models for the tier 4 rowhouses, I am starting to think that there should be not just 1 but 2 tiers between them. The statistics for the last tier will remain the same (or possibly the capacity for belongings might increase), they will just be upgrade 6 instead of upgrade 5. Upgrade 5 will have similar statistics to upgrade 4 (holding a family of 7 comfortably) but have a higher capacity for belongings. Now the biggest housing units loom over the Tiny Rowhouse (which is about the same height as the wood houses) and the half-sized Clock Tower doesn't look so out of place (however, the original sized Big Ben Clock Tower will always look out of place in Banished).

Latest render for reference:

--Ocram

RedKetchup

AzemOcram

Now that I have had a good look at them, they do look too thin. I think I know what I will make for the new Tier 6 (remove a story). That way, one can have good looking but slightly shorter rowhouses before spending a ton of resources on higher capacity ones. If you put a whole bunch of tier 7 models together (6 should suffice, which will the final number of model variants per tier), they won't look too out of place but if you have a single Tier 7 Rowhouse in the middle of nowhere, it would look really weird. That is one reason why I want to make Tier 7 so expensive.

--Ocram

EDIT: Here is one last render (for the month) showing examples (but not all planned) of rowhouses from Tiers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7.

purringcat

Look similar to Boston row houses except for the 'pyramid' roof ones.   I've never seen roofs like that on older homes.   
Do see lots of flat roofs tho.    All of the houses have decorative detail around the windows, doors and roof.     

AzemOcram

Thank you for the pictures, purringcat. I will change the pyramid roof of the off-white model (and its mirror image) with a side gabled roof and the pyramid roof of the brown model (and mirror image) next to it with a Mansard roof. I will also add more architectural detail, partially through geometry and partially through textures. Although finding, altering, and rendering/baking textures will take a while, finding textures and researching architecture is all I can do on my laptop (I will be away from my rig for a few weeks).

--Ocram

RedKetchup

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 13, 2015, 05:40:08 PMnice houses

Yep, specially the first pic in context  ;)
Maybe worth to note (in terms of scale) that they are only two windows wide...

* As for that very large tower (Big Ben?), I'm so sorry to say , but I cannot see how you would place that in Banished - it would look like a 24th century Arcology...  ;)
For the 'reduced' model, RedK's hint was good, place it beside the NMT Cathedral to see how it relates...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

AzemOcram

1. Those photos are useful and beautiful. I will use them as references when I continue modeling.
2. I will create and adjust models to have 2 columns of windows instead of 3 (except for the symmetric versions with doors between windows).
3. A model of Big Ben with beautiful textures but 82k triangles across 309 objects was given to me as a gift. It is 53 units tall in Banished's scale, thus it is roughly twice as tall as Ketchup's Medieval Cathedral. I optimized the full sized model to 1/4 the triangles and made a half sized model with 1/5 the triangles. I have decided NOT to release the full sized Big Ben as a standalone mod (as requested by the user who made the original model) but I will include it in my eventual Industrial Revolution mod (which will add brick tenement upgrades to bunkhouses, half-width brick tenements with the same capacity, and some more 5-10 story buildings including offices, textile mills, and steel mills) if I ever finish the Industrial Revolution Mod. The half-sized Clock Tower should be roughly the same height as the Medieval Cathedral and will be shorter than my late game half-width tenements and late game steel-framed offices).
4. I will have 2 parallel releases of Narrow Housing: the full one with all the rowhouses and the smaller clock tower, requiring Colonial Charter (should work with 1.4 and the upcoming 1.5) and a lite/early game one that only includes Tier 0, Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3 (with 2 and 3 requiring the player to buy bricks and glass).

Thank you for the feedback!

--Ocram

rkelly17

Quote from: AzemOcram on June 12, 2015, 10:30:31 PM
Now that I have had a good look at them, they do look too thin.

I'm not sure you can make a townhouse too thin. My internship supervisor lived in a house in the Mission District in San Francisco (years ago, before it was cool) that was one room and a hallway wide and three stories tall. I've seen similar houses in Toronto and Montreal. Even in the 18th and 19th centuries city land was valuable and so people built on as small a footprint as possible.

Nilla

Another reason for thin houses, is that in many towns the house owner paid taxes, not proportional to the area of the house, but to the width of the streetside of the house.

chillzz

Indeed, townhouses can't be too thin. Like @Nilla said, some cities taxed property on width of the facade.
Hence there are buildings in Amsterdam just 160 centimeter wide! Closer to me, in Dordrecht there is one of just 280 cm.
And a lot of other medieval towns here has the same kind of small housing.

some for tax reasons, some for too fast expanding cities, so alleys between houses were used to build more housing :)

here's the one in Dordrecht. rebuild in 1895 after a fire.

Amsterdam -- 160 cm wide

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup