News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Lush villages

Started by Voeille, May 15, 2018, 08:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voeille

I'm obsessed with plants and I put them everywhere. Forests need to be dense, buildings need to be surrounded by bushes, and in general the worst that can happen to a town is not starvation, but deforestation ;) So, in this topic I'll post random screenshots from my villages. They aren't perfectly decorated as I do it gradually, so there might be more plants in certain areas than others. I might post screenshots from the same places if they develop.

Gatherer

Super green!  I like your style. And the last pic is just awesome.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Nilla

It looks great! Is it all "natural" trees or do you also use a lot of decoration trees?

Voeille

Thank you! I do use decorative trees (especially near mountains if the Beautiful World mod didn't spawn as many on top of them as I'd like). On one hand it'd be nice if they were real trees, but on the other them being decorative ensures that my carefully placed bush gardens won't be destroyed by foresters during their mission to supply me with logs ;) (Bushes count as trees if they're naturally spawned on the map.)

Tom Sawyer

Very nice screens! This hidden cave in your jungle reminds me to update my separate log cabins. ;D

Voeille

I'm playing in my first village started on easy, and so far it goes well. However, I have absolutely loads of mutton because of that large sheep pasture. Decorating very in progress.

Gatherer

The ground texture you made looks so good.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

BlueFireChelle

simply gorgeous!
What mod gives you the flower-covered cemetery? And the house with the blue roof? I've not seen those in the mods I'm running. I'd love to try them out.

Nilla

really, really nice! The new texture, all trees and flowers! Beautiful! :)

@BlueFireChelle; I recognize the the house with the blue roof; it´s Red´s colorful little houses. You can have it in many colors. It´s one of my favourites. The original is "very old"; one of the first buildings @RedKetchup made in the early days of modding. If I remeber it right, he "invented" the possibility to build several storages with these houses.

Voeille

And yes, the house is from Red's Colourful Houses set, it's one of my favourites too – the 2nd floor houses have a small footprint in order to be able to put them on top of the 1st floor ones (like the blue one), but I actually almost never do that. What I do is put those houses above various buildings (and sometimes resting against mountains), which lets me create 'new' buildings, and easily fit houses where they are needed. I do the same with NMT houses. I wish we had more of 2nd floor buildings, they're so convenient.

As for the cemetery, it's just standard cemetery (with transparent ground cover as I didn't want the dirt bits I made for the default cemetery), which I decorated with Kid's ghost flowers (it's one of the newer mods in the download section).

RedKetchup

Quote from: BlueFireChelle on May 19, 2018, 01:50:31 AM
And the house with the blue roof? I've not seen those in the mods I'm running. I'd love to try them out.

Colorful Little Houses 3.0
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=243
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

BlueFireChelle

oooh, thanks @Nilla and @RedKetchup   I've never downloaded the Colourful Houses mod, as (in theory) I don't like a bunch of random colours everywhere ;)  but I can see now that I'm missing out. I'll definitely have to add that to my list of new mods to try. I'm using Red's medieval houses at the moment (first time) with plans to use the 2nd (and maybe even 3rd) levels.

@Voeille the ghosted decoration looks lovely. I tend to not use them when playing because I set personal challenge-goals and it feels like cheating to not pay the build cost if it's set up that way. But I think it would be worth making an exception and try to make a genuinely pretty town. Yours is just beautiful.

brads3

i wouldn't think of decor as cheats. some ghosted decor still costs materials.some non-ghosted does not either. ghosted is usually done so it can be placed tighter to objects and without interfering with the bannies travels.there is a "empty square mod" to make them unpassable if you prefer.
ghosted also allows you to place them on lawns or in pastures. that way the cows have shade trees or i can make bigger bushes,roses,or birch trees too. they also help to use them with RED's canals.

elemental

Quote from: BlueFireChelle on May 19, 2018, 01:18:26 PM
I tend to not use them when playing because I set personal challenge-goals and it feels like cheating to not pay the build cost if it's set up that way.

Even if the decorations are free to build, they still take up room on the map. Yes, ghost decos can fit in anywhere, but you will probably find yourself filling tiles with them. Whether it's a row of flowers somewhere or a backyard for a house or a large area in the town centre that is made into a park (unproductive space). So things tend to be more spread out and less "efficient" than a town that a min-max player would usually build. That in itself can make your game more challenging, depending on the map you are playing.

The visual results are worth the effort.  :)

Voeille

The only ghost buildings that are cheaty are those that actually do something, I wouldn't say just deco is cheaty, because you don't get any benefit from it other than just the looks.

I expanded the easy mode village a bit. Well, considering the population (119/34/93) it's more than a bit, and I hope those babies won't kill me ;) It's so hard to resist building houses though.
There's a new farming area, two more sheep pastures (I'm really short of wool and wool coats now, trading for rough gemstones is quite costly), more industry, and more houses in the starting place. I also had to build some near the gatherer hut, because the game assigned the workers rather far away. I'll need to add some ghost trees near the pastures so the area doesn't look so rectangular.