News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Any mod for reducing food yields?

Started by cjcook, March 25, 2020, 05:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjcook

I'm finding that one worker in each food production location is clogging my market and barns with food (venison, mutton, fish especially, but also small fields overproducing wheat). At the same time, everything else (often with multiple workers) is around a 'normal' level in the town inventory. 

brads3

IS YOUR population growing? are you building houses? you can check the blackliquid site ,they do have options for food production. bannies eat about 100 food per year. 1 food worker usually feeds about  5 bannies. my concern is if you have a population that is stable and not having babies. in which case,you might have food extra now,but as the bannies age and die then youmight have troubles.

cjcook

Ideally, as with workers, there would be local resource limits along with the already existing global resource limits.  That way a limit could be set on the market for the meat products and the rest would sit in barns.

theonlywanderer

@cjcook

It would seem more logical to remove some of the food sources.   Bannies only need one source of each main food group, protein, veg, grain, and fruit.  So, having venison, mutton, and fish seems overkill.   The best thing to do once you have sheep established is to ditch hunting since it's a less reliable source of consistent food.  I know people tend to want the leather/wool coats, but they aren't necessary once the population is large enough, wool coats are fine.  If you prefer the leather and wool, ditch the fish.   If you want to try and use everything in the game, part of the challenge is finding a balance.

I'm not 100% sure what your issue with the market even is.  Markets try to stock a bit of every item being produced in the game and an abundance of certain items should not prevent other items from being stocked.   Having a clogged market seems like a good thing to me.   

Now, storage barns are another issue entirely because they can get clogged and dominated by just one item and not be able to store anything else.   This is an issue of not having enough barns to support your production level.  It can also be an issue of just having too much production for your current population who can't eat it all.    Whenever you have a weird balance like that you can trade the excess for stuff you need more of.

Basically, altering the code is an easy way out.   

But it all depends on why you're playing the game.   If you're just city building for fun, not sure what difference a clogged market would even make.   If you're playing the game for the challenge, seems you just need to keep working on solving the puzzle instead of trying to alter the code to solve it.

cjcook

Good thoughts, thanks.

I guess I wasn't really expecting the sheep pasture to produce meat (or so much of it), so that's probably what threw my balance off.

I do still think that markets should have individual caps, as the trading posts have.  But when no amount is specified, it acts as it does now.  Then you don't have to use the limits if you don't want to.  I would prefer to let things build up in storage and control the market flow.

Nilla

The markets do have "slots" reserved for allowed products and each food category. That´s the way at least vanilla markets normally works (some modded markets may be different). But if you don´t have enough free space in close barns, labourers will carry all kind of stuff to the markets instead and there will be no room left for the things that really belong there and markets don´t work properly anymore.

As always in Banished; if you´re short on food (and other essential stuff) or if you have too much of it: logistic, logistic, logistic!