News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned- North Mining Town - (or NMT for short) - Story #13

Started by Abandoned, May 12, 2017, 07:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@brads3 the bench outside the chapel is one of the new colors of the white bench from the North.  There's the original white, this new blue, and also a new wood one.  There are also 3 fences now, the original white picket fence and a new log fence and a pale wood.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

The first child born in year 6 was a girl, another boy was born a month later.  In July another couple joined our North Mountain Town, Nest and Elouis.  We now had 19 adults and 19 children.  A second Izba was built next to the first one where Coretha still waited for Furmani.  She was now the shepherd tending our 14 sheep.  Since the new comers had to wait quite a while for their house to be finished, we decided it was time to build a hostel. 

We also decided to build a bridge across the river.  There was a great deal of surface stone to be had over there should the need arise, at present Olandy the forester was bringing in a small but steady supply of stone.  Digging the foundation for the bridge stirred up a deposit of small colored stones which stirred up quite a bit of talk amongst the menfolk.  Princent, the fisherman, said he often saw small colored bits of stone sparkling in the sun as they were being swept along by the river's current.  A placer mine was build downstream of the bridge with hopes that the current would be slowed a bit by the bridge's foundation.  Both were completed in the spring of year 7.  There was already talk of building a 2nd placer mine upstream by the river bend, others talked of that being a good spot for a full size fishing pier.  There was also talk of building a trading port, we had a good supply of seedling now for trading.

That spring more NMT baby girls were born.  Orlandy and Yoselynn had a girl they named Lizbetha, and Nest and Elouis in the Izba had a girl they named Zelrah.  Next door to them, as expected, as soon as he graduated from school, our Furmani married and moved in with Coretha.  Our 3rd son, Rothannie, now 3 years old, wanted to know if his brother and Coretha would be out in the cabbage patch looking for a baby cuz that's where his best friend, Conniel, said babies come from.  Hendel and I agreed it was way too early for "that" talk.

brads3

what kind of mayor are you?? you have a worker who has lost his mind,way,or is just lost in the forest. LOL

Abandoned

@brads3 , a good one I hope :)  The ? is my experience tailor wondering when she can get back to working at her regular job.  I find that if I need laborers or am short of materials and I stop work at a building, if it is a non-educated worker, I stop work and reduce the number of workers in the profession.  When I restart work at that building I raise the profession by 1 and have a chance of getting an educated worker in that building.  If the worker is educated when I stop work, I leave them ? so when work restarts they return to that job.   Works well most of the time.

kid1293

Thanks for that tip. I always thought it was too random to just shut down business.
This way it's easy to still have some kind of control. :)

Abandoned

Your welcome @kid1293 , I don't know how good that system would work with a big town or bigger population but it does seem to work for me most of the time.  I don't much care for a lot of yellow ?'s on the map at one time though and I check on them often to make sure I didn't slip up with a work assignment somewhere.  It happens  :)

brads3

that is a good explanation. i leave mine working and when they run out of materials or hit limits they go work as laborers automatically. saves me forgetting what i turned off or to turn them back on. just a different way of playing. the more spread out i am on the map,i try to keep a laborers scattered so they will drop stuff on the way to their homes or carry food,etc to all the different areas. that way stock isn't all in 1 area. it works in theory at least

Abandoned

Chapter 7

Year 7 continued much like any other year.  In August Ramian and Romonika arrived at the chapel.  We made them welcome.  A 3rd Izba was being built for them.  Having 2 new laborers meant Suelo could go back to work at the tailor shop.  Towns people were still taking turns working at the charcoal pit, the bloomery, and blacksmith.  The crops were harvested just before the first snowflakes began to fall.  The apple orchard produced even more apples than it did the year before.  That winter's building projects included another stone house by the pond and a hunter's lodge in the forest.  It would be a prime location since their were several herds of reindeer and black grouse in the area.

In March of year 8, Furmani became a father, to a baby girl they named Beatrina, and a brother to our 4th son Terrel.  NMT's population had grown to 45, 22 adults, 8 students, and 15 young children.  And that was before Travonte, Haroleen, and their 2 year old daughter, Ilia, arrived.  They would move into the 2nd stone pond house as soon as it was completed.  Travonte would make cheese in the new dairy hut. He said we might want to consider a bigger pasture for the dairy cows.  We had many things to consider as year 8 drew to a close.

Nilla

That little diary is nice, isn´t it? But I guess you will not be able to run it the whole year with that number of cows.

Tom Sawyer

Wow, things are going well in NMT. And the hunting lodge will bring a nice boost if in a good area. The dairy cows are planned or already be bought? With a few more cows you can run the cheese diary in full time. Cows need 30 tiles per animal. So you can plan your perfect pasture.

It's nice to follow how the settlement is growing around the starting area. Maybe the jpg's could get less compression for an even better view of your story. :)

Abandoned

@Nilla and @Tom Sawyer , I do like that dairy hut with the open door and sod roof. I really like all these new added building to the North but I really liked all the red Nordic houses too.  :)  Decisions, decisions, what to build.  I'm thinking for now to leave dairy cows where they are and hope livestock merchant will bring more for another pasture.  Trading post and next chapter coming soon.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 8

One thing we failed to consider was that grain from our one crop field was not reaching folks living by the pond or forester's lodge.  In spring of year 9, barley was planted in a field near the river behind the stone houses.  We also started giving more thought to the river itself.  In all this time, not one river boat merchant has come down this river.  Was there perhaps a fork upriver that boatmen were going down instead?  We had no way of knowing.  Should we build a trading post not knowing if a merchant would ever come to call?  Without one we were isolated from the rest of the known world, receiving no news or information or goods we could not produce ourselves. To date, our North Mining Town has done very little mining or exploring outside our immediate vicinity.  We've barely even ventured far past the bridge we built over the river to the west, but now it was time to see what was upriver to the east.

A couple of the men went upstream as far as they could before they were stopped by high mountains on either side of the river.  They thought there was a good spot for a lighthouse and there was plenty of surface stone to build one. If built high enough, a signal fire should be visible from quite a distance. They did not think the big stones they saw in the water would prevent boat traders from navigating down this river.  So that spring, it was decided, we would start constructing a lighthouse upriver and a trading post in town near the greenhouse.

In July, 5 more northerners came to town, a young man age 21 and a couple with 8-year-old twins.  Like the others they could shed little light on the river or surrounding area, they came overland from a small mountain valley with only a small stream.  The young man, Wenden, was their fisherman.  He said he would enjoy catching trout from the point and we thought that was a good idea.  With the new arrivals and last 2 babies born, we again had more children than adults, 27 adults and 30 children, 9 of them were students, 4 of which would be finishing school soon. 

So, besides a fisherman we gained a 2nd builder and a laborer.  As soon as the crops were harvested, all nonfood producing work stopped, except for the greenhouse,  in order to have more laborers to collect stone and deliver supplies for our 2 major building projects.  It was rough going with the cold and the snow and the winter wind.  Because of the long distance to the lighthouse we were concern the farmers would be late returning to their fields in spring, and there were more mouths to feed.  Hendel and I had another granddaughter, Nora, who was born just before year 9 ended.

Gatherer

Very nice story. You must have been a writer in your past life:)

I love that last picture. There's a sheep taking shelter in the pasture shack.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

@Gatherer thank you, past life if not a writer probably a photographer (a bad one)  ;D  You would not believe how many screenshots I took of that sheep in the shack.  He kept turning around and then I noticed that cute little lamb, so more screenshots.  I have to keep emptying my recycling bin, this system probably needs a defrag.  Glad you enjoy the story.  :)

brads3

i keep an empty folder for the pics as i am playing and then go through them later and move them to a folder on the desktop to post.delete all the ones out of the original folder for the next play.inside the desktop folder i have another folder to put posted pics. that way when i go to post i only have a few pics already sorted.