News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Colonial Williamsburg: MOD PROPOSAL

Started by c_jayy93, June 24, 2017, 01:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c_jayy93

This past week, I went on a road trip to Colonial Williamsburg, a living history museum in Williamsburg, Virginia and my Banished senses tingled the whole time I was there. Each time I saw an herb garden or pile of firewood, I imagined how this would look in the world of Banished.

After coming back from the trip, I had an idea. A large idea. A revolutionary idea! What you are about to read is a proposal for a new mod package. I am laying out a proposal for a massive mod package inspired by my experience in this revolutionary city. Behold friends!

The Colonial Williamsburg Mod

I propose a mod package, titled "Colonial Williamsburg" or "CW" to be played in the game Banished, version 1.07.
The following elements are to be included:

- All eighty-eight (88) visually-accurate colonial-era Williamsburg structures that exist in the real historic area. They include:
     - Private houses
     - Outhouses
     - Public buildings for governing, punishment, and worship
     - A hospital
     - Garden buildings and sheds
     - Offices
     - Privies (called "a Necessary")
     - Tenements
     - Outdoor market houses and tents
     - Smokehouses and kitchens
     - Shops
     - Outdoor theatrical areas
     - Playhouses
     - Taverns
     - Magazine and quarters

- A change in garb and attire. Banished populations affected by this mod package will wear more colorful, colonial-inspired dress.

- Game play music to be changed to colonial-inspired instrumental music, focusing on fiddle music and songs of the era.

- Rural colonial decorations, ghost and non-ghost:
     - Hanging picture signs to be placed on upper facades of structures and on standalone poles. Some with text, i.e. Molly's Millinery,
          Chowning's Tavern, Dr. Putnam Apothecary, Print Shop & Postmaster, Winifred House, Mercy Brewster Tea & Cakes
. Colonial
          typeface should be used in the signs, such as "Leander" and "Essays1743" in place of contemporary typeface.
     - Some without text, i.e. a picture of a tea kettle, boots, elk and fruit tree, an armchair, a caduceus, books, caricatures of colonial
          seamstresses, couples dancing, and fun-loving drunkards with steins.
     - A variety of (immobile) passenger and cargo horse-drawn carriages to decorate road and walkway areas.
     - Small items, such as door-brooms, garden sundials, lit candles in home residential façade windows, and public notice walls with
          various parchment documents and advertisements attached.
     - The flags of the commonwealth of Virginia and the other twelve colonies from 1607-1776 as well as early American national flags,
          such as the Grand Union flag and the Betsy Ross flag.
     - A red cobblestone street and sidewalk combination item, similar to an existing mod included in MegaMod/Colonial Charter.
     - Shaker and Amish-inspired chairs and furniture to be placed on ground-level porches and outdoors.

- A texture change to crop fields, from light brown to deep brown.

- The addition of colonial era structures and decorations not currently present at Williamsburg, such as a pineapple market stand, fire wagon, servant quarters, community washing well, a red-brick university building, or a red-painted clapboard schoolhouse.

- Finally, a wildflower/fodder addition to natural landscape elements.

Some elements of this mod package proposal already exist as separate or limited mods, such as the courthouse (Colonial Charter), but the purpose of the mod package is to bring all those small elements and minute details altogether into one giant package and for Banished gamers to combine this mod with other mods for a unique and more enjoyable game play experience.

PLEASE SEE ATTACHED PDF BELOW FOR MORE DETAILS ON THIS PROPOSAL.

-Corey

The Pilgrim

Are you proposing this as something you want to do, that you want help with, or you would like to have made for you?  All are valid proposals, but a little more idea of how it should be executed, not just (a well done and detailed, btw) idea of content.

c_jayy93

Quote from: The Pilgrim on June 24, 2017, 03:04:13 PM
Are you proposing this as something you want to do, that you want help with, or you would like to have made for you?  All are valid proposals, but a little more idea of how it should be executed, not just (a well done and detailed, btw) idea of content.

I would like to help with it and (selfishly) play it until my PC crashes for the final time.  ;) In the PDF attachment, I have provided a few links that could get modders started, and I can help with research. I'm really passionate about colonial American history. I'd like all Banished gamers to experience the joy of Williamsburg as I did without having to spend an arm and a leg.  :'(

The Pilgrim

I may be able to help some as I am also passionate about American colonial history.  I along with several other created the New England Modular Buildings mod that became part of Colonial Charter.  I am all about the historical accuracy of mods. I am not a great code and have no modeling skills, but I can help with both concept and design. I also have access to a huge library of architectural books including a number or measured drawings of important Historical American buildings, some of which are at Williamsburg. (My father does restoration of Colonial period buildings)

c_jayy93

Quote from: The Pilgrim on June 24, 2017, 06:03:53 PM
I may be able to help some as I am also passionate about American colonial history.  I along with several other created the New England Modular Buildings mod that became part of Colonial Charter.  I am all about the historical accuracy of mods. I am not a great code and have no modeling skills, but I can help with both concept and design. I also have access to a huge library of architectural books including a number or measured drawings of important Historical American buildings, some of which are at Williamsburg. (My father does restoration of Colonial period buildings)

Quick, spread the word to other giant modders! Vive la Williamsburg!  ;D