News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Can I have everything?

Started by grungy93, March 08, 2016, 03:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grungy93

Has anyone found a way to have multiple mods giving the player all the extra content that is out there without it crashing all the time.
For example I'm trying to get CC NF, the Fountain mod, New Medieval town and, New medieval castle to run together with a couple other mods I.E. the cathedral mod, smaller vendor building's, warehouse Inc,  windmill for cc/NMT,  EB farmstand and farm house, storage shed, coastal house, season fx, debug mod and a couple others.
I'm basically trying to find out if these and more can at all work together to add the most variety in building my ttowns as possible

rkelly17

At the moment my loaded mod list is:

Blue Radius (from CC)
Bobbi Special DoctorHouse (to keep those [expletive deleted] Bannies from idling at the hospital and spreading disease)
CC Immortal Orchards
CC No Smoke
CC 1.6
Colorful 2 Floors Little Houses (an early RK creation where he created his patented multi-story technology--in my towns these breed like rabbits)
Mathieuso Decorations
Mathieuso Houses
Mathieuso Stone Bridge (a two-lane bridge)
New Medieval Town 2.02
Small Town Row Houses 1.02
Specialized Trading Ports
Elf Small Vendors
Road 45

This collection does not crash for me. The mods labeled "Mathieuso" are versions of parts of The Fountain Mod done by @slink for those of us who didn't want all of the functions of the Fountain Mod but liked the decorations and some of the structures. The houses contain an inn that attracts nomads after you build a hospital. They are all available here on World of Banished. The Colonial Charter web site gives proper load orders for those mods where it matters. I'm pretty sure that CC and NMT will work together whichever is on top, but order determines which resources are used.

With NMT 2.02 do you actually need both NMT and NM castle? I've never built the castle, but I see both menus on my menu bar with only NMT 2.02 loaded.

Paeng

Yeah, my list has shrunk a lot, too... mainly because I only have a set of "must-haves", everything else I decide from case to case before starting a new town - I found Banished to be rather picky when you try to load/unload mods in a running game...

FILE   bigminimap.pkm
FILE   BobbiDoctorHouse.pkm
FILE   ccwindmill.pkm
FILE   ColonialCharterTFA.pkm
FILE   Covering.pkm
FILE   DebugMenu.pkm
FILE   EBFarmhouses.pkm
FILE   ebfarmstand.pkm
FILE   elfStorageCarts4v104b.pkm
FILE   gardenshed.pkm
FILE   newmedievaltown.pkm
FILE   OldMarket.pkm
FILE   rowhouse.pkm
FILE   SoupKitchen.pkm
FILE   StorageShed.pkm
FILE   wintinRoads.pkm
FILE   woodcutter3.pkm

Quote from: rkelly17 on March 10, 2016, 10:48:31 AMWith NMT 2.02 do you actually need both NMT and NM castle?

Yes, the castles were removed - that second icon only holds the Canals...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

grungy93

Mine is
Small town row houses
CC compatible buildings
Decorative items pack
Better hostels
Japanese houses
Colorful 2 floors little houses
Emporium building
Sinks snug house version 2
general store
Better school's
New road add on (40 something something, I just copied what it said in the mods list)
Season FX
Debug menu
Fishing dock +25%
Warehouse Inc
Garden she'd
Storage shed
Coastal house
1:1 Aging
Soapiary
Adrianas college
EB farmstand
EB farmhouses
Slinks lawn
Slinks rough lawn
Jamie's Kloster  ( pretty sure it's cathedral I have a Dutch version lol)
Cathedral
CC FA
NMC
NMT
Japanese shrine
The fountain mod
Invisible add collision

With this order all buildings are available except for the Japanese row house because of the small town row house's, everything runs fine until it gets about 7 year's in then crashes
I've been trying all kinds of orders but something always ends up missing usually the fountain mod content
And that freakin storage shed took forever to get working

Paeng

Okay, I know this is a touchy subject  :)  - every player loves his chosen set of mods and wants to keep them in the game at almost any cost... so please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to play the game or what mods to use - I just kinda hurt when I read reports of crashing or other nasty happenings, while I am enjoying a more or less crash-free game. I wish nothing more than everybody enjoying this game the same way...

So what do I do differently?

First of all, I make doubly sure to keep my Banished and the Win Registry clean and scrubbed at all times (see  here ), browse any publisher notes, look for all instructions regarding load order, possible known incompatibilities.

That done, I try to

- avoid redundancy - just forego mods that double up or mimic other mods
- avoid anything related to "Fountain Mod" (unless cleaned by Slink, BL)
- avoid extra large maps
- use storage-related mods only from "trusted" sources like BL, RedK, Slink, EB, Kid etc.
- avoid mods that heavily alter basic mechanics like age, school, birth etc.
- avoid mods called "Better something"
- avoid mods piling up "More of this, More of that"

... and other stuff I'm probably doing so "matter-of-fact" that they escape my mind right now.

Again - these are my parameters, after playing and beta-testing since day one and having reached a point where I play  carefree and without technical problems. Your mileage may vary - I do not say that anyone must follow the above like it's law... it's just some additional input for others to review their mod loads and weigh for themselves if they have all they truely need or carry unnecessary ballast around.

And looking at the towns in my Journals, I don't feel that I miss a lot of content or variety either  ;)

grungy93

I think my biggest issue was the CC compatible buildings mod after taking it off and updating TFM I was able to add a few more mods I removed and I haven't had any problems so far

Gatherer

@Paeng

I hear what you're saying and lately I have been abandoning several mods that add +this or +that.

On the other hand, I don't like CC mod personally and I don't use it. It is too big with too much production chains for my liking. If it was cut into smaller modular mods (dwellings, production buildings, crops, decorations,...) I would consider using some of those. But as it stands it is just too big for my style of playing. I prefer less production chains and more versatile dwelling options.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Paeng

Quote from: Gatherer on March 12, 2016, 11:03:36 AMI prefer less production chains and more versatile dwelling options.

To be honest, I play quite a lot of towns without using the full (chain) potential of CC... :-[

At least CC is pretty well organized and you could totally just use e.g. the housing and all the decorative items only and ignore the more intricate chains and stuff... add NMT on top and you have Red's more straight-forward version of production and immensely more variety...  just saying  ;)

Kimbolton

Quote from: Paeng on March 12, 2016, 03:14:37 AM

First of all, I make doubly sure to keep my Banished and the Win Registry clean and scrubbed at all times (see  here ), browse any publisher notes, look for all instructions regarding load order, possible known incompatibilities.

Great advice. I know you really helped me when I couldn't figure out all issues I was having with my new game. :)

Quote from: Paeng on March 12, 2016, 03:14:37 AM

- avoid anything related to "Fountain Mod" (unless cleaned by Slink, BL)

I'm curious about this. I use the Fountain Mod and I have only noticed so far that it seems to slow down my game a bit. Where does one find the cleaned up versions done by Slink and BL? 

rkelly17

Quote from: Kimbolton on March 12, 2016, 04:40:18 PM
I'm curious about this. I use the Fountain Mod and I have only noticed so far that it seems to slow down my game a bit. Where does one find the cleaned up versions done by Slink and BL?

Look on the mods download page here for @slink's. They are the ones that have "Mathieuso" in the name.

kid1293

Is it ok with Matieuso to release alternate versions?
I've tried to reach him about some buildings but he
seems to have vanished...?

rkelly17

Quote from: kid1293 on March 13, 2016, 11:47:34 AM
Is it ok with Matieuso to release alternate versions?
I've tried to reach him about some buildings but he
seems to have vanished...?

At one point @slink got permission and Matieuso handed off some files to her. You might find something in the nether realm of old posts. The problem is that some while back her internet connection stopped dealing well with World of Banished and her participation here dropped off.

kid1293

OK. Think I stick to my own stuff then.  ???

Kimbolton

QuoteLook on the mods download page here for @slink's. They are the ones that have "Mathieuso" in the name.

Thank you rkelly17.

DesoPL

The only reason i use Fountain Mod is stone walls to building an cities, since there is no stand alone mod for that in sizes like they are in fountain mod.