News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forest Village

Started by Gordon Dry, September 09, 2015, 09:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Have to say, I don't like this at all. It's just a Banished skin. Looked up some info, and it didn't exactly calm my fears. I suppose Luke hasn't changed his name and moved to Russia.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

DesoPL

*Sighs* That's one of reasons why i am asocial... Most people are lying as hell.

Fellow Villager

the clash obama-putin even in the village dimension :-D

DesoPL

*Deeper sigh* Now i don't know how to feel about Forest Village.

embx61

As long as those devs not using source code/meshes developed by Luke there is not much he can do legal wise.
Okay, they took his banished idea but if they coded their own engine and the meshes and everything else is made by them themselves it is legal in my view.

Quite a view MMO's are based (Rip offs from) on WoW but Blizzard cannot do anything about it as long as their source code/meshes are not used(stolen).

Someone came up with a Zombie game and now it is zombies games everywhere.
That first one cannot do anything about it.
If something is successful the idea is taken and others hope to hop aboard on the success ride.

Luke should be proud they took his idea. Luke cashed in good with Banished so no real harm is done as long as they not using his source code/engine/meshes without his approval.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Pangaea

Whether they have managed to decrypt the code and thus steal it, I guess we'll never know, but to me this is a straight copy of Banished with different graphics, and I couldn't spend money on such a product with a clean conscience. That's my position. Others may disagree.

Almost surprised there wasn't a note behind the stuff about a Linux build. "Just hold on until Luke sorts this out, and we'll be right on it."

It's the same game with better graphics anyhow, so I don't see the point in spending money on it. The game play is likely to be the same. Even the crops and buildings are the same from what is revealed so far on the bloke's site.

It's one thing when people are "ripping off" big companies, but this is a one man operation. It simply feels worse to me. This isn't a "Zombie games everywhere" situation either. It's the exact same game with different graphics. Not MMO loosely similar to WOW.

Tilleen

There does seem to be some extra depth to the game, requiring feeding of animals for instance.

Luke did not come up with the idea of resource based town building games either. Settlers 2 and "Wide Lands" were around for a long time. He definitely added some interesting ideas to the game, the individual named people, an almost real people idea that you have to care for (although that is in the SIMs), the complete lack of combat (which is good in my opinion).

We get better games, engineering, science ..., by people looking at other peoples ideas and saying hey, wouldn't it be better if I did this.... That is essentially was modding does, some just may want to make money for there effort, or feel that the limitation within the system are too tight and want to expand on them.

For the moment, Forrest Village would have to be exceptional above Banished for me to consider it, and a lot of that may come from the modders, if it has a decent modding system.

LadyMarmalade

I think the game will definately be worth a look.  It does seem to be a more polished, graphically superior version of the game and I like the idea of having to provide hay and water for the cattle,etc. The graphics are beautiful too.

As has been said previously, its perfectly normal for a new game to be (or appear to be) a clone of an existing game. All games probably started off as one base game that different developers picked up and took in their own direction. There would be no point in developing a new game based on one that was unpopular or fatally flawed so its inevitable that there are going to be many similarities. To quote a cliché - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'm quite new to Banished so perhaps I don't have the same sense of loyalty that you all have - and I know nothing about the history of the game or of Luke but from what I've read, he's been handsomely rewarded for Banished and appears to have moved on to new pastures.

Games are like any new item.When they first come out they are new and innovative and everyone is excited but sooner or later another one will come along professing to be bigger and better. The point is,if it really IS bigger and better we shouldn't feel bad, as consumers, for going with it. If this new game DOES draw gamers away fom Banished, then Shining Rock can do one of two things - work harder to improve their game and fight to win their fans back or simply accept defeat and move on to the next project.

I agree especially with Tilleen about the complete lack of combat which is, for me, a huge part of the attraction.
I am not a Gamer because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many.

ShockPuppet

What really annoys me is if they have the ability to make this game, then do it with its own flavour. We already have banished. This is not banished 2, its a reskin of banished. I'd be very happy if it took everything good from banished and improved it significantly. It doesn't, its a straight rip off. Forget about modding, the main product is what's important to most people. In those terms, they cloned it. If I was Luke I would be disgusted because where is all the new stuff? No there isn't any (or very little). Even it looks like their 3d houses are all made from cylinders, and they don't use ambient occlusion like Luke did.

More products in the city building genre is great, but not if they are all close to 1:1 clones of each other.

RedKetchup

Fellow Villager

boys, the forest villafge site is off line.
maybe it was really a fake

RedKetchup

really ?

maybe Luke saw it and ... made a copyright complaint :P
and it same time, maybe it is that ... that pushed him to go back to banished ^^

i remember to have sent the link to Luke... in hopes it awakes him ^^
which, i m sure, it worked out well ^^

it is just a "504 Gateway Time-out" lets wait and see :)

but i admit since a month or 2 ... nothing really happended from their side, nothing much happended

Fellow Villager

me too.
i send an email to luke when he was silent

DesoPL

Site is working again, but i guess... No news for a while so probably is fake.