News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Challenge #2: 500 Farmers

Started by solarscreen, June 10, 2014, 06:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

15x15 it s 4 by default, but every crop even a 4x4 (or minimum) you can make it go up to 6
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Halfway there, and plenty of potential farmland at the edge of my new expansion  :D

These are nearly all 15x8 farms with 2 farmers each. I was farming them with a single farmer, but the yields were too erratic because of weather. Two farmers are more consistent. Besides, I didn't really need 500 laborers  ;)

irrelevant

RedKetchup

haha yeah 500 farmers... thats alot of farm :)

salamander

OK ... I don't mean to whine, but this harder than it first appeared to be.  @solarscreen -- you may just have an evil streak buried somewhere deep in your personality.  :)

RedKetchup

bah it s more easy to try to put 100X 15x15 at 4 each (=400) then try to put 400x 8x8 at 1 each (=400) ^^

(i say 400 cause the 100 farmer left are easily orchard farmers)

but definitly .... it s really not an easy challenge... it asks you to be pro with 1200-2000 pop cities :)

salamander

Quote from: RedKetchup on June 19, 2014, 03:01:10 PM
but definitly .... it s really not an easy challenge... it asks you to be pro with 1200-2000 pop cities :)
I agree, and there's my problem.  I've never had a town above ~600 total population that was anywhere near stable.  I'm only recently realizing that the total population to have 500+ farmers is likely to be way above what I have experience with.

It's fun, though, and it gives me an incentive to move out of what I've experienced before.  Maybe @solarscreen is not evil after all, but just a good teacher who's not obvious about it?  Nah ... I still think he has an evil streak in him.  :D

solarscreen

Hey don't blame me!  The Big Chihuahua told me to go for 500 farmers. I said 300 farmers would be hard enough but we already have somebody with 300 farmers out there! 

Wait until I launch the Nomads challenge!  MWaaahaaaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Hmm, a little too evil.  ;)

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

RedKetchup

RedKetchup

btw guys....

i finished :)

but...
i wait a bit before posting it  ;D
(i ll have to make 20-40 screenshot ROFL. wondering if i should not do a video instead lol, thats alot)

slink

Here is a link to a video of Shoshong, made some time before the colony was complete.  The video was made by DashJenkins, on Shining Rock Software's Banished forum.  By the way, I am a she, and not a he as the video states.   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqIJNHtqAss

RedKetchup

thanks you Lady Slink :))

ertira

I have created a colony named Sanctuary. Image files are uploaded into the Layout Design Gallery area.
   Map is 999999999 (discovered by my lady's cat). I played it as Valleys, Large, medium difficulty, Fair conditions, Disasters off (still had 1 Tornado  :o )

This was for me a double challenge. I 1st wanted 500 population plus with only Gathering, Fishing and Hunting. Succeeded quite easily. 630 population.
    My second challenge was without infringing into any prior made hubs to meet the 500 Farmers challenge. This posed a problem.  ;)

Year is 206.
    Population is 2115 and climbing. I honestly feel I am very close to exceeding the limits of the map however.
    Have had a problem with Log and Firewood generation for about 15 years. Spent a lot of firewood for items needed. Had over 43k firewood and 18k Logs at that time. Allowed 2 large groups of nomads to join, 187 and 231. Seems the hit on wood and logs was never recovered from. This resource has been my only problem. I have lately taken to putting 4 foresters on Plant only in their hubs and when trees are mature then sending the Laborers to strip farm. This has worked out well. Should of started it earlier.

Clothes, Tools, Herbs and of course Food were never an issue.

Created over time 16 Boarding Houses to assist in absorbing the Nomads. This worked out very well actually.

Have had numerous diseases but tend to shrug them off. Had only 1 death due to disease. All other deaths were to old age or accidents. No deaths at all due to freezing or starvation.

Experimented with Tailor and Blacksmith specific settings. I want to expand on these ideas in future maps.

The Map itself is intriguing. Many areas of wide open flat lands with a nice river system. A troubling large lake especially in the northern area of he lake. The island itself was a mess. :) Decided to try to alleviate hampered movement with the bridges and tunnel. Worked fairly well. Had to work around numerous and troublesome bumps in the land. Needing to limit my farming to the border areas severely hampered my normal farm build layouts.

Overall impression was the map was both challenging concerning farming and quite easy concerning the Gather, Fish and Hunt approach. I could exceed 1500 population on this map using no trading, crops, pastures and orchards.

I am not trading oriented yet. Limited my traders to the basics although was never hesitant to trade high volume items for more needed commodities. Trading was limited to Coal, Stone, Iron, Logs and Fruits. As usual for me committed a lot of valuable space for mines and quarries, Will probably continue to do so though.  ::)

Set churches to handle 2200 population and schools to 400. Had 5 hospitals. I infringed upon some of the hospital areas a little to much while growing.
What few spaces still available are meant for future demands. Hopefully very few in number.  :P

Concerning Brewers, upped my ideas with them to the next step and began specializing their locations with specific fruit orchards. Will work on this more in the future.

In closing, as always every map I make is an experiment. Just evolving is all.  ::)
  Hope viewing the screenshots is enjoyable as they are now all deleted from my game system. :)
               Patrick "Ertira"

mariesalias

I agree, this challenge is harder then it first appeared. :D 

I'm only up to about 50 years and 500 population. I am taking it slow though as last time I got close to 1k population I accidentally killed most of them, so making sure this town is as stable as I can possibly make it. Hopefully. I am very nervous about the populations other people are reaching and thinking I have to try for them too. I may just stop reading this thread altogether as it becoming stressful trying to keep up with you all. ;P

Seriously though, I think I am going to have to just focus on achieving the best I can and not read about what anyone else is doing.   :o

RedKetchup

i dont want to stress you out !!! but ........

i am joking :) ^^